posted
Now his family has been threatened

Is SCI helping him ?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/16/...index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I'd think it's be more DSCs pigeon because they, not SCI organised the auction & of course, the guy might not even be an SCI member.

That said, it's illegal (in most parts of the world) to send threats by email or most other media and he should be able to forward the threats onto the cops who (in theory at least) are duty bound to investigate and take appropriate action.

Abusive emails (rather than threats) can be sent to the server who usually have it in their T&C that these things are not allowed and the server can remove service from the abuser.

FWIW, our website at www.shakariconnection.com was targeted last year by a group of antis and it resulted in a number of threats and abuse etc from all over the world. Roll Eyes

We weren't concerned by this at all & simply forwarded the threats to the cops in the relevant countries and the abuse to the server concerned...... A lot of them were sent anonymously, but it usually only takes a few minutes work to trace the sender and in fact, all the fuss did us a favour because the antis had to visit our site to see what we were about and that in turn increases visitor numbers & therefore SE ratings which in turn translates to more traffic to our site. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
not just SCI ALL hunting organisations need to support him as its a great cause and he's been man enough to put his hand up! tu2

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sent an e-mail of support to him.
Kinda figure he's getting a lot of hateful stuff, thought a friendly note might be appreciated.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hunting has a long been a passion of his -- Knowlton said he started hunting as a young boy. He said he grew up poor, but made a good living in oil production.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
quote:
Hunting has a long been a passion of his -- Knowlton said he started hunting as a young boy. He said he grew up poor, but made a good living in oil production.

Brad, that's 100% true!!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The comments! Damn man! No matter how well the situation is explained you just can't get through the preconcieved notions of these "greentards".

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of J.R.Jackson
posted Hide Post
Corey and his father both have hearts as big as Texas.

Posts: 570 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 12 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a feeling Corey bought the hunt. It's too damned bad that the anti's cannot stop for a moment and realize that the scientific community supports this. I hope he does well on Piers Morgan, he is very well spoken on the professionals, scripted or not.

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429
peakwildlifeadventures@hotmail.com
www.peakwildlifeadventures.com

Posts: 295 | Location: Sk, Canada | Registered: 06 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Andersen:
I had a feeling Corey bought the hunt. It's too damned bad that the anti's cannot stop for a moment and realize that the scientific community supports this. I hope he does well on Piers Morgan, he is very well spoken on the professionals, scripted or not.

I think he did a good job.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

obviously, someone's earlier comment has been deleted. wonder whose and what it said??

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13392 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:
quote:

I'm not too sure that I believe that either. I know that his dad is a bit of a maverick and made a lot of money quick but I wonder if his definition of "poor" fits mine

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:

obviously, someone's earlier comment has been deleted. wonder whose and what it said??

No, the quote was in the article that was linked in the original post.

Cory grew up "po".
Roll Eyes

B.S. aside, I am sure glad that he is spending his $350k on rhino conservation instead of a Ferrari....

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
amazingly enough, this story was covered on today's BBC Newshour and was actually a pretty unbiased report, complete with a short interview with Knowlton.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13392 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
What difference does it really make???????

Is it better for the money to go to legal outlets, or let poachers have it?

Whose side are some of you folks on, hunters or the anti's???????

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SCI, First For Hunters (currently up on their dues, of course.)

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
salute Corey...hang in there man...your doing a good thing!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37766 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Navaluk:

What does SCI have to do with Corey and his bidding on this rhino? The auction was DSC sponsored, not SCI?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Besides all the help his money will do for the rhinos there.
The best thing that could happen is if n when Piers Morgan was shipped back where he came from imo.

I wish Cory the best hunt of his life for this animal. Man, age 35 and hunted 120 species all over the world and has the bucks to drop $350,000 on one hunt? He sure sucked the right egg's where most of the rest of us didn't. More power to him. Wish him well.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6003 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
I'm not too sure that I believe that either. I know that his dad is a bit of a maverick and made a lot of money quick but I wonder if his definition of "poor" fits mine
The history is accurate.

More info and links in this thread... http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/7231030691/p/1

I am still trying to get a link to the full version of the live Piers Morgan interview.
The edited version is here.
http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/7231030691/p/1

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:

What does SCI have to do with Corey and his bidding on this rhino? The auction was DSC sponsored, not SCI?

Really? As a member of SCI I would hope they would support hunters and good sound conservation of the black rhino. That's what they SHOULD have to do with it.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:

Really? As a member of SCI I would hope they would support hunters and good sound conservation of the black rhino. That's what they SHOULD have to do with it.

Yes! Really!

Of course, I understand and agree with your position of expecting SCI to support conservation efforts wherever support is called for, but in the scope of this particular thread, and as Shakari pointed out, this was a DSC production and I'm wondering why the OP asked the question of whether or not SCI, instead of DSC, is helping Corey handle the threats and providing support.

Personally, I'm a member of both SCI and DSC and although I sit on the Board of Directors for our local SCI chapter, I tend to think DSC is doing a better job of bringing the conservation message to the public at the moment. Case in point being this particular Black Rhino hunt and the opportunity for public explanation of how hunting leads the conservation efforts, knowing a hunt of this type would be controversial and grab media attention.

That said, the history of AR is one of bashing SCI while fully supporting DSC; to the point that issues and events not within SCI's responsibility nonetheless often become rallying points to start another round of complaints. I'm simply pointing out, strictly in regards to this particular thread, that the hunt was organized and auctioned by DSC, the organizational defense of the hunt in the media was orchestrated and performed by DSC, and I would expect the support and responsibility for seeing that the hunt is carried out in an ethical and fully compliant manner would also be the responsibility of DSC, not SCI as they had nothing to do with it. From that, I'd expect that if Corey needs help defending his position, which by all accounts, he seems to be handling quite well, I'd expect DSC to carry that ball as well. Again, since SCI had nothing to do with any of it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Jason - Corey has been one of my best friend's for the past 13 years now. I was a groomsman in his wedding, I've hunted many times with his entire family, and I've heard all the stories of the start up - and success of the family oil biz. I assure you, until Corey was roughly 20, they had no more than the average working class family, and as a young child he lived in a beat-up old trailer house with holes in the floor.

His father Lary, actually sold coffins for a living before co-founding BASA Resources, roughly 25 years ago. A genuine rags to riches story, it truly is. They did not make their money "quick", in fact it was roughly 10 years before BASA was very profitable at all. It was years of hard work, long hours, and an honest approach to business that led to his eventual success.

Today they enjoy a wealth of success/money, but they are also the most generous folks I have ever known. For example, a couple years ago BASA Resources spent $1.5 million sending their employees hunting around the world. Not customers, not their bankers, but their own employees - including the rough necks out in the field. I know this for a fact, because I booked almost all of the hunts! A better group of people would be hard to find, and I for one say, GOOD FOR THEM!!

Corey and I talked yesterday for about 20 min on the phone. He's now under 24 hour armed security, as are his wife and 2 little girls. This whole thing has gotten way out of hand, and all because the masses base their decisions on emotion and total lack of knowledge/experience. Its really a damn shame!!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the background Aaron. Corey sounds like a great boss and even better man. I wish him nothing but success with his rhino and future hunts. Hopefully his message is making some sense with moderates.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Aaron for the insight on this man, his family and personal facts. I can understand where the Liberal Mainstream Media doesn't have a clue and hops on this thing. But when other hunters and the like chime in, something is really wrong in our Society. Hope he has a great hunt and gets back to a normal life sometime soon.

Larry Sellers

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Thanks Aaron for the insight on this man, his family and personal facts. I can understand where the Liberal Mainstream Media doesn't have a clue and hops on this thing. But when other hunters and the like chime in, something is really wrong in our Society. Hope he has a great hunt and gets back to a normal life sometime soon.

Larry Sellers

X2

Hunting is not a matter of life or death....It's much more important

Posts: 338 | Location: Abbotsford BC | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting that Aaron! tu2

Anyone on Facebook, please send Corey a message of encouragement. He does appreciate it greatly.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The question here was, is SCI helping this guy? Well, I don't think this is an SCI issue - its an "ALL OF US" issue, IMO.

We all need to do the best we can to show support, not just for Corey himself - but the issue that's really causing all the ruckus. When a law-abiding citizen can't even participate in a legal/ethical, scientifically sponsored, IUCN/CITES endorsed rhino hunt in Africa - without needing 24-hr armed guards for himself and his family, things have gotten way out of frickin hand!!!! When people are willing to threaten your life, and that of your family (wife, 7 yr old daughter and 2 yr old daughter) over such issues - where in the world is this whole hunting game headed?? Where in the world did such folks learn to care so little for their fellow man?

Evil prevails, when good men do nothing!!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
+1 Aaron.
We are faced with a monumental task of advocating Conservation through hunting.

We ALL need to be involved. We need to swing public opinion into acceptance.

One helluva job and I'm not sure how to start or go about it but we need to do something or we're going to lose the Rhino, the wild lions and all endangered animals outside of national parks

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The question here was, is SCI helping this guy? Well, I don't think this is an SCI issue - its an "ALL OF US" issue, IMO.

We all need to do the best we can to show support, not just for Corey himself - but the issue that's really causing all the ruckus. When a law-abiding citizen can't even participate in a legal/ethical, scientifically sponsored, IUCN/CITES endorsed rhino hunt in Africa - without needing 24-hr armed guards for himself and his family, things have gotten way out of frickin hand!!!! When people are willing to threaten your life, and that of your family (wife, 7 yr old daughter and 2 yr old daughter) over such issues - where in the world is this whole hunting game headed?? Where in the world did such folks learn to care so little for their fellow man?

You are spot on here Aaron. But posting here is like preaching to the choir. I have spent several hours on websites like CNN defending this guy against the hordes.

The guys who would kill Corey are really terrorists, and that is the message we need to send out. As for those who are simply opposed, I do try to reason with them. I don't call them names, just treat them respectfully and get them to consider there are all kinds of behaviors others find offensive: gay marriage, abortion, mixed race marriages, eating meat, etc. While many find Corey's hunt offensive, the bottom line is that it is legal and will contribute to the long term preservation of the species.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
So how do we most effectively help???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37766 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recently I asked here if we can establish a group to update hunting/conservation wiki pages - all I got was the sound of crickets (mostly). Wiki is a huge resource that we need to maintain in a balanced informed fashion - and create new pages. For instance this whole Corey Knowlton/rhino hunt thing should (eventually) have its own wiki page (if it is allowed). That way ALL the info is easily found.

In Australia we run some very effective, coordinated media & political (letter writing and face-to-face) campaigns. Social media campaigns too - but it is harder to gain ground there. At least we can use social media to muster troops to the battle. I do not know how it works with US politics... but an Australian politician who receives 50 letters per week about a particular subject, tends to sit up and take notice. Even if those letters state - "Well done, you have made the right decision" (as in this case). With the media... who knows... but it does have some effect.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
It is the hard core anti's that resort to this sort of conduct and to a lesser degree, young dolts who's lives revolve around social media and what they think is trendy and makes a statement.
The only ones you need to worry about are the hardcore anti's and reality is that there is nothing you can say or do that will change their minds.

You can campaign to educate the uninformed but nothing you can do or say will change the mindset of the rabid anti's.

Many love social media, but there are downsides to it and one of those is the rapid dissemination of information and the instantaneous negative press that can be generated on a global basis. You should not have to put up with the problems that this auction has generated, but sadly we live in a time when you should be expecting it and entering into it with your eyes wide open.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
This is an interesting thread. That his past or present economic status has become a topic of discussion is really quite odd to me. Personally, I don't care if he grew up dirt poor or if he inherited every dime from dad who inherited every dime from his dad. Really, I almost could not care less where his money came from as long as he continues to allocate a good portion of it to conservation.

Should DSC be vocally supporting him? Absolutely. Should SCI? Absolutely. Should EVERY hunting organization? Absolutely! When Bob Barker is getting as much press as the hunting groups, something is wrong.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:

You are spot on here Aaron. But posting here is like preaching to the choir. I have spent several hours on websites like CNN defending this guy against the hordes.

The guys who would kill Corey are really terrorists, and that is the message we need to send out. As for those who are simply opposed, I do try to reason with them. I don't call them names, just treat them respectfully and get them to consider there are all kinds of behaviors others find offensive: gay marriage, abortion, mixed race marriages, eating meat, etc. While many find Corey's hunt offensive, the bottom line is that it is legal and will contribute to the long term preservation of the species.

AAW - Yep, you are correct as well. Getting the info/facts out to the public is the key, no doubt.

Fact is, I too went through this same sort of thing about 6 months ago - but not near to this level of course. I was plastered on Facebook by a rabid anti-hunting lady from Canada - as the "Lion Killing Scumbag"! Complete with a collage of my 13 lions I've killed, my phone number/email and address. Holy cow, did I get some nasty messages - and numerous ones threatening to kill me, my family, threatening to send me dirty packages, they will be waiting for me, blah, blah, blah. Interestingly enough however, since then - this lady and I have established a line of communication that she now asks me questions, wants more info, and is very civil in our conversations. I wouldn't say she's pro-hunting, but I will guarantee you - she sees hunting, and lion hunting in particular, in a much different light. It took a little time, but she quickly learned I knew a lot more about the facts than did she, and she was at least open-minded enough to listen!

Ya, we will never stop the constant attacks from the opposition - but at least in some cases, common sense does prevail. I'll keep trying, and hopefully all of you will too?

Trust me, its a hard road to travel. Heck, look at all the grief Lane and I have taken over the lion issue - just amongst our fellow hunters. Standing up for what you believe in is never easy, but as I said - "evil prevails when good men do nothing"!

Keep up the efforts AAW - you are doing a good thing for us all, and I thank you!!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aaron:

Just like here on AR, calling someone a name rarely advances our cause. Treating them respectfully does. I got into a long string with one woman who in the end agreed we don't agree, but she pledged to dig into the facts more and discuss it with a relative who is a game warden.

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
This is an interesting thread. That his past or present economic status has become a topic of discussion is really quite odd to me. Personally, I don't care if he grew up dirt poor or if he inherited every dime from dad who inherited every dime from his dad. Really, I almost could not care less where his money came from as long as he continues to allocate a good portion of it to conservation.
It is only a topic because it was mentioned initially by the media and the negative social media 'commenters'. Corey addressed it and it was mentioned here. No big deal. Most AR folks would feel the same as you. I am just pleased that the auction was won by someone who has the ability and nuts to address the media on our collective behalf.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
It is only a topic because it was mentioned initially by the media and the negative social media 'commenters'. Corey addressed it and it was mentioned here. No big deal. Most AR folks would feel the same as you. I am just pleased that the auction was won by someone who has the ability and nuts to address the media on our collective behalf.

Nuts being the key.