THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    African Film List ....... and Seeking Suggestions.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

African Film List ....... and Seeking Suggestions.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted
Hello All,

I was reading an old thread today about African Film and compiled a list of every film that people mentioned having liked. I am trying to build a personal film library and am wondering if there are any films on the topic that I have not listed below that people also recommend?

Thanks,

tendrams

1. A Good Man in Africa
2. A Cowboy in Africa
3. Africa Adventure – Ruark
4. Ashanti
5. Babel
6. Beat the Drum
7. Blood Diamond
8. Born Free
9. Breaker Morant
10. Bring em Back Alive
11. Dark of the Sun
12. Duma
13. Flight of the Phoenix
14. Four Feathers
15. Game for Vultures
16. Gold (YEAR?)
17. Greystoke –The Legend of Tarzan
18. Hatari
19. Heart of Darkness
20. Hell’s Headquarters
21. Hotel Rwanda
22. I Dreamed of Africa
23. In Africa Texas Style
24. In The Blood
25. Jock of the Bushveld - year?
26. King Solomon’s Mines
27. Last Safari
28. Lawrence of Arabia
29. Legend of the Lost
30. Lion of the Desert
31. Lumumba
32. Mogambo
33. Mountains of the Moon
34. Mummy I and II
35. Naked Prey
36. Nor the Moon by Night
37. Nowhere in Africa
38. Out of Africa
39. Sammy Going South
40. Sands of the Kalahari
41. Shaka Zulu
42. She
43. Stanley and Livingstone
44. Shout at the Devil
45. Tears of the Sun
46. Tembo
47. The African Queen
48. The Constant Gardener
49. The Dogs of War
50. The Final Chapter
51. The Flame Trees of Thika
52. The Four Feathers
53. The Gods Must be Crazy I and II and III
54. The Last King of Scotland
55. The Macomber Affair
56. The Power of One
57. The Snows of Kilimanjaro
58. The Ghost and the Darkness
59. The Wilby Conspiracy
60. Wild Geese
61. The Wind and the Lion
62. Trader Horn
63. Walking Amongst Lions
64. White Hunter Black Heart
65. White Mischief
66. Wild Cargo
67. Zulu
68. Zulu Dawn

ADD
Something of Value

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
There are probably at least four versions of King Solomon's Mines. The correct title of 58 is The Ghost and the Darkness.

You should add Something of Value.

The new series made from Alexander McCall Smith's books -- The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency -- is entertaining.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beryl Markham: A Shadow on the Sun

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
No Tarzan movies? Eeker Big Grin

No. 20 can safely be skipped. Trust me.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
AFRICA ADDIO

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Watch 'Zulu' and then 'Zulu Dawn' as that is the correct order of events in 1879, Isandlwana (depicted in Zulu) followed by Rorkes Drift (Zulu Dawn)immediately after.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zulu Wars is a trilogy of Shaka, King of the Zulu, Blood River and Red Coat- Black Blood.

Khartom.

There is also a boxed set of 4 DVD Shaka Zulu it is the complete 10 part TV epic.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by namibiahunter:
AFRICA ADDIO

Namibiahunter

This film was forbidden in France.
Is this film marketed? I was looking for it and couldn't find it? so I let down.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbderunz

quote:
quote:

AFRICA ADDIO

Namibiahunter

Is this film marketed? I was looking for it and couldn't find it? so I let down.

Jean B. de Runz

You can download the 2 hour and 20 minute video from youtube. If you have any problems finding it let me know and I'll try to find the url for you or to download it for you to copy.

Those not familiar with this documentary might find AFRICA ADDIO disturbing but also educational. Any student of Africa should put this controversial film on their "must see" list.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Yes, a good film to check out! Africa Addio is available on mininova.com.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jbderunz

quote:
quote:

AFRICA ADDIO

Namibiahunter

Jean B. de Runz

You can download the 2 hour and 20 minute video from youtube. If you have any problems finding it let me know and I'll try to find the url for you or to download it for you to copy.

Those not familiar with this documentary might find AFRICA ADDIO disturbing but also educational. Any student of Africa should put this controversial film on their "must see" list.

Namibiahunter

Just a note.... There are several different versions, or "cuts", of this movie. There is a directors cut, an American release, etc. There is even one version that was titled Africa: Blood and Guts.

You want to get the longest running version. It seems that the shorter versions left out the beautiful stuff and went for shock value only.

One thing that I can say for the full version of this film it that it will leave you with some food for thought. Everyone sees this film differently. Racists view it as proof of the inferiority of blacks and in favor of colonialism. I came away feeling that the film showed many more similarities than differences between blacks and whites.

Regardless, this is one you won't soon forget.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I would also add General Idi Amin Dada: A Self Portrait (1974), directed by French filmmaker Barbet Schroeder.

This one is available on netflix.

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never seen Duma. Details?

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Lavaca,

Here is a link to the IMDB site on Duma.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361715/

mrlexma,

Oh, I think more than a few movies on this list are going to be goofy but part of my interest in Africa centers on the often strange ways cinema presents the continent.

tendrams

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Guns at Batasi"

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"The Long Run"; "Cry the Beloved Country";
"Cry Freedom"

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
namibiahunter

Thanks.

It's really easy to download it on Youtube.
I was told that the DVD can be bought at Amazon.com.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
Yankee Zulu, ???

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder would there be a financial incentive for anyone to put these all together and market them?

Hell I'd buy it.

JEff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Some more:

Blackhawk Down
Lumumba
Shooting Dogs
Allan Quatermain and the Lost City

Allan Quatermain and the Temple of Skulls (not Richard Chamberlain)

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Incredible list, but don't forget the most realistic African movie ever. "Africa Screams" starring Abbott and Costello! jumping

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RCG:
Incredible list, but don't forget the most realistic African movie ever. "Africa Screams" starring Abbott and Costello! jumping

I've got that one. Smiler

Another:

"Where no vultures fly"

More (edited to add):

"Congo"
"Raiders of the Lost Ark"
Herzog Kinski's "Cobra Verde"
"Tsotsi"
March or Die"
"Beau Geste"
"The White Masai"
"Masai, The Rain Warriors" (in Masai language)
"Beyond Borders"
"The Diamond Hunters"
"Jewell of the Nile"
"Sheena" Big Grin
"Tarzan, the Ape Man" (with Bo Derek, for some reason I like that one, for the doubles carried by BOTH Richard Harris AND Bo Derek Big Grin )
More Tarzan movies mentioned here
Don't forget the "Jungle Jim" movies too. archer
"The Lost Command"
"The Light Horsemen" (some Egyptian scenes)
"Teza" (Ethiopian)
"Gorillas in the Mist"
"The Battle of Algiers"
"The Mercenaries"
"Follow that camel" (Carry on film)
"The Commando" aka "The Legions Last Patrol"
"Legionnaire"
"Tomb Raider - The Cradle of Life"
"The Lion King" popcorn
"Sahara"

A whole swag on the subject of Ancient Egypt such as "Antony and Cleopatra", "Cleopatra", the pyramids, Akhenaton, etc. Plus movies dealing with Rome in Northern Africa. Can't remember all the titles at the moment.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I suppose you could add "THE ROAD TO MOROCCO" and "THE ROAD TO ZANZIBAR"

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I saw one last year called "Prey" starring Peter Weller. I thought it was fairly good. It's about a man who gets a big job opportunity in Africa, much to his children and new wife's dismay. He sends them on a game drive while he's at work on a new project. I think most would like it. The real stars of the show are some spurious critters with big teeth. It's along the lines of "keep your eyes open and your ass frosty."
Cheers,
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tendrams:

You should be shot: I am thinking about arcane films when I should be doing other things. anyway add "BATTLE FOR ALGIERS" to the list

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just finished watching Shangani Patrol and enjoyed it completely. I followed up with Operation Dingo and the first BSAP volume. All these came from Memories of Rhodesia.com. Some of the video quality is low but a lot of the content transfered from old film footage. I really enjoyed the BSAP training films. Shangani Patrol was a feature film made in 1970 and released in South Africa and Rhodesia, possibly Europe. Any flick shot on location in Africa with martini henrys and brass jacketed maxims has to be good.

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bryan Chick:
add "BATTLE FOR ALGIERS" to the list

This brought up two of my favorite Africa based French films: Chocolate(set in Cameroon- a great movie) and Overseas(set in Algeria).

timg953: Thanks for pulling up this great post.

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
Picture of Pieter Kriel
posted Hide Post
I don't watch too many movies but there was one with the black actress with lots of hair (definately not Goldie Hawn) showing the dancing in Soweto.

The one of De Klerk (Michael Caine) and Mandela (well-known black US actor) and I know it was NOT Eddie Murphy.

Africa addio - ouch. Have a drink before watching it. They knew to show us that one before going on a hunting trip to South West Africa many years ago but almost a must see.

Patrollie 33 Charlie and some more of the Afrikaans border war films. No subtitles!

Mkulu African Hunting Safaris
www.huntinginafricasafaris.com
hunt@huntinginafricasafaris.com

Posts: 210 | Location: Pretoria | Registered: 08 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pieter Kriel
posted Hide Post
Raid on Entebbe where the Israelites collect their own at Entebbe Airport.

Mkulu African Hunting Safaris
www.huntinginafricasafaris.com
hunt@huntinginafricasafaris.com

Posts: 210 | Location: Pretoria | Registered: 08 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
(You've got The Four Feathers on twice...)

Posts: 304 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I watched a new one (new for me) this morning called Mr. Johnson with Pierce Brosnon about building a road through the bush.

One of Us
Picture of wesley timmerman
posted Hide Post
What about "A Boy Ten Feet Tall"
Just my opinion.

Posts: 680 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
quote:
What about "A Boy Ten Feet Tall"

Also known as "Sammy Goes South" with Edward G. Robinson as an old elephant poacher, likely modeled loosly after Pondoro Taylor. One of my favorites, and I just found it available on DVD.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The Naked Prey

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lost in the Desert

Jas Madhavan

Posts: 82 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
"Search For The Nile", 4 part BBC mini-series. Fascinating & authentic dramatization of the early Victorian Nile explorers (Baker, Speke, Burton, Livingstone, Stanley, Grant, etc.), precursor to the film "Mountains of the Moon".

"Simba" Osa & Martin Johnson

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
JBrown: I would also add General Idi Amin Dada: A Self Portrait (1974), directed by French filmmaker Barbet Schroeder.

Also Forest Whitaker's Oscar winning role in "Last King Of Scotland"

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are two versions of The Four Feathers (listed twice).

There is also "Machine Gun Preacher" as well as Leon Schuster's "Shucks, it's Schuster!" and "There's a Zulu on My Stoep".

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although set in rural USA, doesn't Second-Hand Lions have a connection with Africa?

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
The Best of the Best! Shout at the Devil.
Stars Lee Marvin & Roger Moore from a book by Wilbur Smith.
Also, The Last King of Scotland.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote