New
Find
Notify
Tools

Charlton McCallum Safaris
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Who has hunted elephant with Charltom McCallum Safaris? What was the experience like?

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
You will find a lot of members here have hunted elephant with Buzz or Myles or have hunted with another PH for C-M.

I did a two-tuskless hunt with Myles in 2007 and had an excellent trip.

Here is my report.

There are more pictures at the link in my signature plus an extra elephant story from the end of the trip.

Do you have any particular questions?

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
I have, they are superb in every way, and you would be hard-pressed to select a better outfit in my opinion.

http://forums.accuratereloadin.../6321043/m/600105803

http://forums.accuratereloadin.../6321043/m/813108346

http://forums.accuratereloadin.../1411043/m/227100909

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I'd not hesitate to hunt with them, period.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
thumb

I sent them a deposit last week for 2011 if that speaks for my opinion of them.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7711 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I will be going on my fourth hunt in as many years with them in June. I have shot ten elephant, two buffalo, a leopard, two zebra, a bushbuck, a hyena and multiple baboons with them over the last three years. This year I hope to add a lioness, another buffalo, a hippo and a croc. I know of no stronger endorsement of a company than repeat business over a long period of time. By that standard I am clearly a satisfied customer. Please feel free to email me (email address is in my profile) if you need additional information.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted with them three times now and just gave a deposit for 2011.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clayman,

I don't work with them but I've always heard good reports on the company.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13023 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They have an excellent reputation for fair play and providing a good hunt.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted Hide Post
Charlton McCallum Safaris has a sterling reputation: Despite searching, I haven't found a single critical client report on any of the hunting forums or in The Hunting Report's archives. Well-known and respected PHs like Mark DeWet readily acknowledge that Charlton McCallum Safaris is a much admired operation.

By the way, they have recently taken over the lease for Dande North, the well-known Zimbabwean concession previously held by Chifuti Safaris and Andrew Dawson (and frequently featured in the television program Tracks Across Africa). Buzz Charlton – co-owner of Charlton McCallum Safaris – hunted there for many years and knows Dande like the back of his hand. Past clients have told me that Buzz is indefatigable, working his ass off every hour of every day for his clients.

Of course, like Ivan Carter, Buzz holds 'rock star' status as one of the elite PHs in Africa. I have no doubt that Buzz will hold iconic status one day, like Ian Nyschens and Richard Harland. Pretty cool to be able to hunt with a legend-in-the-making! Just part of the reason I'm looking forward to a tuskless hunt with Buzz in late-2010.

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE
Whitworth Express .375 H&H
Griffin & Howe .275 Rigby
Winchester M70 (pre-64) .30-06 & .270

"Cogito ergo venor" René Descartes on African Safari

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
I have hunted with CM and can say they are the best -- no upcoming hunts currently booked with them but that will change in the near future.

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 933 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KPete:
Of course, like Ivan Carter, Buzz holds 'rock star' status as one of the elite PHs in Africa. I have no doubt that Buzz will hold iconic status one day, like Ian Nyschens and Richard Harland. Pretty cool to be able to hunt with a legend-in-the-making!

. . . you forgot his greatest claim to fame, he taught Will everything he knows about elephant hunting. sofa

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Great guys...I am hunting ele/buff/sable with them in July/August and hope it is the first of many with CM...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
Of course, like Ivan Carter, Buzz holds 'rock star' status as one of the elite PHs in Africa. I have no doubt that Buzz will hold iconic status one day, like Ian Nyschens and Richard Harland. Pretty cool to be able to hunt with a legend-in-the-making!

. . . you forgot his greatest claim to fame, he taught Will everything he knows about elephant hunting. sofa

Mike:

Isn't that a work in progress?

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE
Whitworth Express .375 H&H
Griffin & Howe .275 Rigby
Winchester M70 (pre-64) .30-06 & .270

"Cogito ergo venor" René Descartes on African Safari

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clayman216:
Who has hunted elephant with Charltom McCallum Safaris? What was the experience like?

I hunted with Buzz in I believe it was 2005 for two (2) tuskless cows. We had a great hunt and trip with him (Wifey was along to observe). I would have nothing but postive things to say. I would have gone with them in late 2008, but health wasn't up to hills, so had to look elsewhere for flatter country.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although I have not hunted with Buzz, I know two fellows who have, none of whom have posted yet and both were absolutely glowing in their praise of his operation, 5 star plus.

A word of warning though, I am told that Buzz's stamina would rival my mother in law's propensity to talk, though I doubt that is possible.

Speaking of a legend in the making, check out the interviews that Buzz does with Harland and Nychens on his video about ele hunting, classic stuff. The old bolt action vs double arguement, from a couple of guys who actually do know what they are talking about.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Myles is as hardy, and a funny guy as well. I hunted with them in late 2008 and had a great time. Worked my ass off for a good buffalo, and saw lots of Ele.

Rich
these guys are the best!

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
A good friend of mine has hunted with Myles around nine times now.
That's as good an endorsement if there ever was.

Two daggerboys with Myles.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course, like Ivan Carter, Buzz holds 'rock star' status as one of the elite PHs in Africa. I have no doubt that Buzz will hold iconic status one day, like Ian Nyschens and Richard Harland. Pretty cool to be able to hunt with a legend-in-the-making

KPete
Many thanks for posting that "priceless" comment. I hope that Myles and the girls in the CM office see it.
I am sure that none of us will ever refer to it in his presence in future!!.
Like Mike Jines, in May I will be on my fourth safari with CM in as many years. Whilst I will be hunting with "Elvis" himself - OOOPS sorry I said I wouldn't mention it ! My friend will be coming along who has never been to Africa before. When Buzz asked which PH I would prefer for him I told him I would be happy with anyone he had available. All the PHs that I have met at CM have been excellent and I would happily hunt with any of them. ( as long as they could sing of course)

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:

Was it really necessary to drag me into this I-Love-Buzz Fest?

After being the greatest elephant shot that Buzz has ever known and providing the greatest elephant hunting footage ever filmed for his first DVD, which has funded most of his new Cruisers, and from which I didn't jack except for my international elephant hunting fame, I must admit that Buzz knows a thing or two about eles, but knowing Buzz I won't get jack credit for that either.

Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I have hunted with Buzz, took a tuskless, leopard, hippo, several impala, tiger fish and bobos with him on a seven day hunt in 2005 (Chewore North).

I have no complaints other than Buzz would not eat elephant meat nor catfish.

~Ann

Posts: 19560 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend and I did a multiple tuskless hunt with CMS last July. Here's a link to my report.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...831080411#9831080411

I booked a trophy bull hunt for 2011 as soon as I got home. Need I say more? You will have a fine experience with them. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Norbert
posted Hide Post
I can only join the comments on Buzz´s extraordinary ability in running his company.
Since 1997 I hunted at least 12 times with him almost every year as the most returning client.

Posts: 279 | Location: Europe, Eifel hills | Registered: 12 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not hunted with them so I have the benefit of not being "in love".

I will say that I talked with them both at SCI and Myles filled out my 3 page outfitter questionare that I use at SCI since you can't take up a half hour gettting your questions answered. Buzz called me at the show when Myles had finished and when he had time to talk. My wife and I went and met with them.

I have Zero issues with hiring them and am working on timing a Croc/hippo hunt.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Buzz holds 'rock star' status as one of the elite PHs in Africa.

Buzz who?????

Seriously, I've known Buzz since he started on his own and have nothing but great comments regarding the two safaris I have under my belt with him!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Hunting aside, they are both FINE gentlemen. If you haven't seen their "Hunting the African Elephant" and "Zambezi Extreme" I can highly recommend getting both DVD's. It will give you a visual experience of their operation and hunting styles. I would be in high spirits just sitting around a campfire with these two men.
Cheers,
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6824 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted with CMS Safaris and with Buzz (five elephants and lots of other game)and Rich Tabor (thirteen elephants, four buff and lots more other game), who is now hunting with them. I've shared a camp with Myles as well. All good company and top PH's. All straight shooters and entirely trustworthy as well.

You won't do better and they've earned my recomendation without reservation.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shhhhhhhhhhhh! All this talk will give them an excuse to raise prices. Let's just keep CM Safaris our little secret!

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote