New
Find
Notify
Tools

Backup firearm choice?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am leaving for Zim in Oct. for my third safari. The primary animal is elephant and I will be carrying my CZ 550 in .458WM. I am having a difficult time settling on the second rifle. Last time I went for buff, I took my .458 and a .338WM. I really liked the combo as it was most useful. On my first plains game hunt I took a .300Wby. and my Model 70 in .375 H&H. Now I am torn between taking the .375 and the .338. Other animals I might add would be, bushpig, lioness, hyena, giraffe, kudu, etc. If you were in my shoes???

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
.375 without a doubt. If your .458 has a problem you will have a back-up plan.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Charles is 100% right. I would have posted the same words but he beat me to it.

My safari battery is a 458WM and a 375H&H too.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
lioness & giraffe? No doubt; 375. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ele? .375 no question

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another for the .375H&H.

Where can you do lioness in Zim now?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I vote with Charles and the others.

BTW, my safari battery is a 458wm and a 375H&H. Great combo

Make sure you take some 375H&H solids that shoot to you POA (meaning wihin an inch or so of your softs at 50yds), just in case you have a problem with your big gun. And 458 softs in case of issues with your 375.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too think the 375 H&H would be the proper choice. I would carry some solids for the elephants if necessary.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I would have to agree with everyone here!

My plains game rifle has always been one that was legal for the biggest animal I had on my trophy list. This is, as some have already said,the rifle that will have to finish the safari if your big bore goes south. Besides you never know if when you are trying to get close to a Wildebeast for a shot, with the light rifle in hand, that you may run into a world record elephant at spitting distance. If you are carrying a 300 Win Mag you will have to pass, but with the 375 H&H and a couple of good solids "IVORY" on the truck, and meat in the village! coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it is a back up rifle your taking, that means it has to be legal and capable of replacing your 458 for elephant. Only the 375 will do that. So, you have no choice.
465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with the others. I used to think you needed a "plains game rifle" on a combo DG/PG safari but now I think one rifle needs to back up the other and the 375 is probably your best choice. A big boomer plus your scoped 375 with softs and solids is just going to cover every eventuality and be legal for everything.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12877 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
The 3-7-5 seems like a must here. Pack plenty of good solids and it can serve as a backup for your primary ele rifle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36646 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
ditto.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magnum Hunter1:
I am leaving for Zim in Oct. for my third safari. The primary animal is elephant and I will be carrying my CZ 550 in .458WM. I am having a difficult time settling on the second rifle.
----------
Other animals I might add would be, bushpig, lioness , hyena, giraffe, kudu, etc. If you were in my shoes???

.375 without hesitation

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The M70 .375 H&H period.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
This could be a record for this forum --- way to many people agreeing --- what's up with that???? shocker

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 928 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
One more in agreement... For three safaris my light rifle is a 375H&H and my heavy was a 458 Lott and for the last one a 450#2 and in four days a 450#2 again...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
It is definitely a record for agreement!!!

3 for me is .308 Win, .375 H&H, & .458 WM.

2 for me is .375 & .458

1 for would be .375

I think the reason we all agree above is that it is such a LOGICAL choice! However, on AR, logic does not always lead the way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36646 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.375 not even a question in my mind!

Posts: 212 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 24 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
A 375 if you want but I would just take the 458 assuming you trust it - and surely you do if you are going to hunt DG. Just one load and one rifle. It would be fine for everything you listed. If it breaks borrow one from the PH.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
My choice is 458 WM and 416 Rigby. As such, the 375H&H would be the best for reasons stated above.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote