Find
Notify
Tools

How to shoot accurately off sticks?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all,

Being a Norwegian, I am not all that used to shooting off (triple) sticks. I do ok and good enough when shooting off them, but still feel there is potential to do better. It would come in handy if the the distance is longer than normal or the shooting lane is narrow.

So what are your tricks to get the most from your sticks? Do you lean into them? Hold onto the rifle? Hold on to the sticks? Where do you balance the rifle?

I am posting this in the african forum because I feel this is where most of the experience is to be found.

Posts: 116 | Location: Norway | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Muntjac:

Assuming you are right handed, I think firmly gripping the sticks and the rifle with the left hand is the way to go. If your rifle has a sling with the stud on the forearm, I like to grab it around the stud.

You should be able to shoot normal sized game out to 300 yards without much problem if you practice. Shooting at stuff 200 yards away should not be a problem at all. I practice off the sticks every week shooting gongs at 200 yards. Helps a lot.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I'm the other school of thought.

I drop the rifle into the sticks so the V of the sticks hits the rifle just in front of the floor plate. My left hand is completely on the rifle.

This is not the textbook way of using the sticks but it works for me.

As you experiment, just find what works for you and practice that.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:

I drop the rifle into the sticks so the V of the sticks hits the rifle just in front of the floor plate. My left hand is completely on the rifle.

Will,

I shoot sticks the same way you do. I also allow my left forearm to contact the left stick and lean into it. This extra contact point helps me stabilize the rifle. This is how I've taught my sons to shoot off of sticks as well.

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I use the bog-pod and use it differently with different rifles. For my 404 and 7x57, I hold the rifle forearm as per normal for off hand shooting and rest my hand in the yoke of the sticks. I set the sticks with the third leg away from me and lean slightly into the sticks.
For my varmint caliber I set the sticks with the third leg toward me and put the forearm in the yoke and hold it and the forearm together with light pressure down back against the third leg. This seems to help with accuracy of the light or non recoiling rifles (for me at least) and allows kills on small animals (rabbits and hares) out to 200yds or so.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
I hunt exclusively with bipod sticks. I find them easier or should I say quicker to use than a tripod.

I like the Stony Point "expedition" model which is the longer version where the unextended leg is 35". I find this perfect for dropping down on one knee without any need for leg adjustment.

I hold the yolk with my left hand, palm facing targetward, grab the rifle with my thumb and forefinger and barely hold the yolk with my other fingers. Rifle rests on the sling itself at the front swivel. You grab/hold on to the rifle, not the sticks.

I don't believe in pulling on the sling at all from an accuracy standpoint (that is how you stabilize a rifle when using a sling), after all you are using sticks to stabilize the rifle........

From a rifle ready position in front of your body you can grab the rifle with your left hand drop down to a knee and be ready to shoot in the blink of an eye. Had to do that in Alaska on a caribbou after a full out run at around 250y, in New Zealand on a stag at (ranged) 310y and a fallow at (ranged) 300y.

The only theoretical) advantage I see with a tripod is at long range. But that is dependent on your comfort level and amount of time you've shot off your sticks. I've shot back to back mule deer at (ranged) 318y with the bipod in Sonora.

Bottom line is practice with whatever sticks you choose. Again, I would not get the shorter versions as it would require taking your eyes off your game and time to fart around with extending the legs.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1439 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Another assist is for the PH if he can, bend so that the shooter can rest his trigger-hand elbow on the PH's shoulder. Obviously watch the breathing.

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lot of good advice here.
I'm short & left-handed & had to teach myself how to shoot off sticks. I prefer 2 legs instead of 3. If your P.H. sets up the sticks & they are set to high for you, all you have to do is step back to get them to your height level. 3 legs are a little slower getting set right. But you need to be proficent with both unless you take your own sticks on safari.
I noticed my elevation level in my scope was naturally steadier than my horizontal plane was. So I found that once I was level if I would have my crosshairs just a little to the right of target as I slowly swung to the left, when I acquired my target, I trip the trigger. It may not be textbook, but it works for me.
Leading up a safari I try to shoot no less than 3 days a week.
PRACTICE-PRACTICE-PRACTICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Muntjac,

I use the same method as AAZW. For me it is the only way to control the sticks and the rifle. With this method you can't drop the sticks flat in recoil and have what I think is the the best chance for the follow up shot form the sticks.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the advice. I shoot a moderated 308, so recoil is not an issue. Interesting to hear what works for all of you.

Posts: 116 | Location: Norway | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Muntjac:

Assuming you are right handed, I think firmly gripping the sticks and the rifle with the left hand is the way to go. If your rifle has a sling with the stud on the forearm, I like to grab it around the stud.

You should be able to shoot normal sized game out to 300 yards without much problem if you practice. Shooting at stuff 200 yards away should not be a problem at all. I practice off the sticks every week shooting gongs at 200 yards. Helps a lot.

That's what I do. I found a little downward pressure helped too.

The practice on steel gongs at 200 metres was very helpful, I used to shoot two quick shots without taking my cheek off the rifle. That came in very handy on a couple of quick followup shots I had to make in RSA.

Posts: 475 | Location: Moncton, New Brunswick | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When using shooting sticks(2 or 3 legged), my elevation is about totally steady and I tend do move a bit sideways.
With plenty of practice, my sideways movements becomes smaller and slower, making it much easier to time when to pull the trigger.
I mostly use 2 legged sticks and I lean them a bit towards me.
I feel I get more control then and I can easily either push a bit forward or backwards to change the elevation. I prefer to rest the front part of the stock in the sticks and hold around both the stock and the stick.

Posts: 461 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

I just use the sticks to steady my offhand at wrist or back of hand gripping the rifle forend.
Any other method may work at close range, but not long range.

Gripping the sticks and the rifle at the same time with the offhand, will throw off the POI, adds the weight of the sticks to the rifle,
weakens the grip on the forend, destroys consistency shot to shot.

Balancing the rifle in the sticks near CG of rifle leads to more vertical teeter-totter.

One can also use a military sling or a hasty sling with my method.

Better would be the tree with my hat between my offhand and the bark of the tree.
That would also keep the scope from knocking my hat off in this posed picture, with a featherweight .375 H&H.

Pick your method, but check your long range zero with that method.
sofa

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's the way I do it too. I tried the hold sticks and rifle at the same time on my very first shot with my 404 and got the only scope bite of my life.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:

Gripping the sticks and the rifle at the same time with the offhand, will throw off the POI, adds the weight of the sticks to the rifle,
weakens the grip on the forend, destroys consistency shot to shot.

RIP:

I have shot game over 300 yards with my hold; I have not suffered from POI changes. BUT, all my rifle barrels are floated.

When the range gets much past 300, I like to sit down and use a Bog Pod. I grip it the same way. I can ding an 8 inch gong at 500 yards all day long.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
When shooting with your friends, have one of them lean against your shoulder from the side and that will take more of the wiggles out.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I like to grip the forearm of the stock like normal and put the back of my hand in the V of the sticks.

In the picture above I would have set the sticks in front of and next to the tree so I could place my offside elbow against the tree.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Use a second set of sticks to support your shooting shoulder elbow...like a bench rest...worth the extra effort!

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boddington shows a good method in "Boddington on Buffalo I" dvd.

I did what he did without problems.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:

Will,

I shoot sticks the same way you do. I also allow my left forearm to contact the left stick and lean into it. This extra contact point helps me stabilize the rifle. This is how I've taught my sons to shoot off of sticks as well.

I use the same method as Todd, but the bottom line is to find a method that works for you and practice.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote