Find
Notify
Tools

Zim Article in New Sports Afield?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted
Anyone else read the back-page article on Mr. Mugabe and Zim in the Feb-March Sports Afield?

The author makes some statements about the State Department's position on hunting in Zim that do not jibe with what I have seen officially. I am curious about everyone else's take on it.

I am not trying to stir up the anti-Zim sentiment. I really enjoyed hunting there and hope to do so again. I am just curious what others thought about it.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is there a link to the article?

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Not that I know of.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was disappointed with McIntyre's article. While he makes some points regarding the overall situation, I agree that his dissing of Parks was unfounded based on first-hand observations I made in November 2007. I hunted on Parks-controlled land (Matetsi 5) with the PH being Ray Makewe, the current PH-exams leader. His conversations and what I saw indicate that they're very intensely involved in improving the habitat and management of game under their control.

I found the article to be a doomsday reaction to a situation that, while perhaps true in the overall assessment of Zim, still has a viable chance of offering the hunter a very good experience and also providing Parks with needed resources to continue its positive works. That is, when (and if) they get their concession management skills upgraded to offer the kind of hunting experience we expect.

Posts: 470 | Location: Mountains of Southern New Mexico | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with PostDriver. The writer does not appear to have been on the ground in Zim and is not in touch with the people he is writing about - the PH's and the people in the safari business. Since when does an outdoor magazine writer have the expertise in economics to be able to offer those opinions? The same was going on in Argentina 15 years ago as well as other countries. Boycotts do not hurt the hurt the country as you would expect. See "Cuba" for an example. The US has boycotted, bar-b-qued, embargoed and spit on Cuba to no avail.

Stay out of the politics! Let the people of Zim sort this out. It will happen sooner or later.

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I was also disappointed with the tone of the article. In particular I was surprised at the description of the State Department stance toward hunters that I have not seen elsewhere, even though they had allegedly put out some feelers about a policy change.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Like Postdriver I feel that McIntyre is misrepresenting what is happening with Parks or at the least diametrically opposed to the information exchanged here by folks on the ground in Zim. The bigger question to me is WHY this would happen, as the author certainly has the contacts to be accurate and up to date. Has not the magazine has had several favorable articles about Zim hunting since they re-launched? It almost seems like an editorial oversight; no one wanted to call him out on the errors.

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I had no real problems in Zim last year and will return this year. My friends there are getting by just fine. Booking hunts hasn't slowed and projections seem as per usual. LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Media. Any more questions? That's really all you need to know. I don't know anything about this McIntyre cat, but I know enough about some of our typical "journalists" to know that the truth and the facts don't really mean much. This is in no way a slash at all writers. There are reporters and then there are writers. Writers are guys like Boddington, Barnsness and the reputed others that have been there, done that, and tell the story. Reporters are those that retell a version of the story to fill the pages, much like the useless folks working for the local small town paper here.

Fair and balanced? Not always.

Posts: 539 | Location: NE Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
btt for certain interested parties attending a soire in Nevada.

Posts: 470 | Location: Mountains of Southern New Mexico | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
A while back in an epilogue article, McIntyre made the statement that anyone who hunts the Alaskan wilderness alone must be a sociopath. Coupled with his usual cookie cutter, wannabe style, I question the value of his words and pay little attention to what he writes, FWIW...

Posts: 1142 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
His own opinion in the commentary in one of the major and more respected U.S. hunting magazines does us all a disservice, was and is not good for hunters in general, and hurts those going to Zimbabwe. It's nothing more than an offer to the U.S. State Department to take action and to shut hunters out of Zim. I sure hope that U.S. State Department officials don't view this as the majority opinion of most African hunters. I suggest that those going to SCI in Reno might want to stop by and let Dianna Rupp at the Sports Afield booth in Reno know that you don't approve of his commentary.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you read the Letters you will see that Kevin Robertson argues the direct opposite of what McIntyre states. That the monies from the safari business are keeping people afloat and protecting the game.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
If we stop hunting in Zim then the only people that will matter to the Zim's will be the Chinese. I don't want to hand the country over to the Chinese that easily.

Cuba was a huge mistake, we shouldn't repeat it in Zim.

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Safari hunting in Zim will survive. It is the only source for FOREX that they have. While the Chinese are in there, they are taking resources without leaving FOREX that can benefit the common man.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
UEG- I wonder if there is a way we can get her email and link it to her at SCI. It would be a favor to all on the ground there and our pals here on AR that are in the business of sending clients that way.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I don't have her business or personal e-mail, but I do know that there is an e-mail connection to Sports Afield at: letters@sportsafield.com Whether or not that would go to her directly, I don't know. She was at the Sports Afield booth last year, and I met and talked with her. Being a converted African Big Game Hunter, as well as an overall world hunter, I am sure that she will be there again this time around.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sent it and asked them to forward it on if possible.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PWS:
A while back in an epilogue article, McIntyre made the statement that anyone who hunts the Alaskan wilderness alone must be a sociopath. Coupled with his usual cookie cutter, wannabe style, I question the value of his words and pay little attention to what he writes, FWIW...

THANK YOU PWS!!!!!

The article you referenced ticked me off so bad I wrote a letter to the editor that they actually printed in the next edition. McIntyre's reply basically insinuated I didn't understand english and so had misunderstood his meaning????

Anyway, I was told by others that McIntyre almost always hunted with a guide so he didn't understand the concept of solo wilderness hunting Smiler

FWIW, I'm booked for a June Buff hunt in Zim and plan to keep my mouth shut and my eyes on the prize. I hope McIntyre's misguided comments don't have any negative effect on our plans.
Not everyone can truly afford a deluxe Botswana safari.

elkjaeger

"Don't believe everything you think."

Posts: 43 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 March 2005Reply With Quote