New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ganyana again...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hitting the charging buff in the right place with with a good bullet is the key to stopping a charge. Big calibers and bullets only marginally help your case if you don't hit the right place. Two weeks ago while I was at Charissa chaseing tuskless eles, a PH named Stockhill at Sengwa Researcsh Area next door failed to place two big bullets from his 500 double in the right place on a charging cow buff and ended up in the hospital for his efforts. Luckily, he was only very badly bruised as the cow didn't gore him but only pounded him.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
Haven't read it, as I stopped taking Wolfe magazines when Ross Seyfried left.

It's hard to imagine, however, that Ganyana would suggest that - all else being equal, including bullet construction and shot placement - a 9.3x62mm is a better stopper on Cape buffalo than a .577 Nitro Express.

I don´t think he means as a stopper, but as a hunting rifle that is easier to shoot a good an deadly shot with.
A stopper is something much bigger, and not necessary for a hunter because you always have a PH on your side and because not so many can handle the recoil of a stopper. With poor results when shooting.
So I agree with mr G. a 9,3 or .375 kills "better" for us ordinary fellows.