Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes 750 4 1/4" NE
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted
I have a round of ammunition marked Barnes 750 Nitro 4 1/4" cased SN 1. Anyone know anything about this. I am told the rifle and caliber was built for a US customer by Itallian gun company. It specs are 1100 grs bullet at 1800 fps. The rifle weighs 26#. Brass and monolithic solid are Barnes mfg. This was done about 10 years ago.

Aleko

[ 05-20-2003, 22:16: Message edited by: Heritage Arms ]

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was at Barnes (in the old facility) in 1992 and saw the prototype 750 cartridges & bullets, and a test barrel that was made in the Apex barrel shop for load development. The test barrel used a M98 for a "firing mechanism", which had an adapter that screwed into the M98, in turn the barrel screwed into the adapter. M98 had an extended firing pin. I have a sketch of the assembly, but failed to take a photo. The Apex barrel shop (at that time located across the street from the Barnes plant) also made the two gain twist barrels used in the double. (The Apex shop is a story unto itself). Barrels were shipped to Italy for use in building the double rifle. Don't know the name of the owner, but Randy said he was extremely wealthly and cost was no object. Randy had a cigar box full of loaded rounds, kept them in the safe. I know the reason the cartridges were in the safe, but won't say just yet, maybe another person also saw them and will chime in? Very interesting to say the least. And the amount paid for the project has an interesting story also. I always wondered how much the double weighed when completed.

[ 05-21-2003, 01:22: Message edited by: John Ricks ]

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
I was told those bullets in the cigar box were solid gold monolithics.

Aleko

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
10 cartridges with 4 to 6 carat gold bullets ...

[ 05-22-2003, 18:35: Message edited by: Nickudu ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote