THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Is Avon Skin-so-soft still the "choice"?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Avon Skin-so-soft still the "choice"?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is Avon Skin so Soft still the best choice for bugs ans tsetse's?
Thanks

Posts: 10358 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
Skin So Soft Expedition is the only thing that works well.

SSS Expedition - On Sale 50% Off

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used 99% Deet from REI. Worked well.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
This is the stuff and not just Skin so soft.with the below product on me they stayed away all day...

http://shop.avon.com/shop/product.aspx?pf_id=33985

or the pump not the aersol.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We ran out of Avon last year, and made up my own cocoction, which worked at least as good.

Roughly it was one third 100% Deet, one third 50 SPL sunscreen, and one third a mosquito repellent we had in the camp.

Worked like a charm.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68604 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
baby poooo yellow truck seamed to stop the flys in Uganda rotflmo

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be careful about mixing Deet with sunscreen. Some people have a severe reaction to this combo.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
If you mean the specifically formulated insect-repellent Avon Skin So Soft, which contains Picaridin - it's pretty effective.

But the regular oil or lotion version of Skin So Soft is ineffective to the point of being useless.

In tests, DEET and Picaridin have been shown to be the stuff for mosquitoes and other biting insects.

I prefer stuff containing DEET, like Ben's, since it seems to me to be the most effective and to last longer per application. It is, however, a bit on the oily side.

For added effect on tsetses, and for ticks, I spray my clothing, including socks and boots, with Permethrin.

DEET is a repellent; Permethrin kills the bastards.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13613 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
After using Ben's 100 (100% Deet) I began developing a rash and welps on my hands. I stopped using deet and it went away. Now I spray my clothes with Duranon Permanone. Nothing I've ever found compares to this product. Ticks don't live long enough to bite. Same is true of any bug that crawls on your clothing. Use the Avon expedition on your skin.
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i was told recently that when deet breaks down it actually forms a sugar & that's why the instructions call for reapplication every so often. don't know if its true or not

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Avon Skin So Soft is all I ever use when hunting Africa or Australia. And, yes there is more than one kind; I use the insect repellant kind. I usually use deet when I am working in the yard at home, works well enough on the local bugs. Just checked an old bottle I have on the shelf, it says Avon Skin So Soft "bug guard", same stuff Retriever showed.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Avon SSS for me. I don't use anything with DEET and never will again. Anything that eats the paint, and other coverings off of cameras, binocs, scopes, stock finish I don't want it on my skin, period.

In todays World there are too many other products available that work as well or better than DEET to put up with the risks and damage it causes. DEET also smells bad and this odor is a definite negative when bow hunting.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Skin so Soft is the best from my experience for all insects...tsetses,mozzies the lot!!!!

And dont anybody believe what Saeed says he put in "his concoction".. That was lethal stuff.....ask Paul Olivier who ended up with some in his eye.......still has the patch on today and that was 6 months ago.... Big Grin

Posts: 21 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 15 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dogcat.

Getting storms today?

Years ago we used Watkins Products Canadian formula but cannot find in States now. Down side was it had some deet. Deet should never be used on children as it can cause among other things seasure..

Now,we use a combo: On skin a product BUG Band containing Geraniol, a juice from geraniums. Also goto; www.ehow.com and then look up geranium oil or just look up on general search.There are plenty of recipies and some use eucalyptus oil (that I have not tried).

On clothing products with Pyrethins are good for several washings kill bugs like a hammer and are usless on skin. It is hard to find to find this other than airasol but treating clothing before departing works fine. We instruct camp help not to over wash outer ware. I do not know if that makes a difference. Best buy in this is at farm store CV80 which is sold as a barn fly product.

Geraniol was developed by a university and there is/was a lot of info on these studies on net several years ago. It comes in a cream pump.

These two with color selection seems to work for our trips.

Elton Rambin
Mail/Ship: 1802 Horse Hollow Rd.
Barksdale, Texas 78828
Phone: 479 461 3656
Ranch: 830-234-4366
Check our Hunt & Class Schedule
at
www.ftwoutfitters.com

4 Rules of Gun Safety
1/ Treat all guns as though they are loaded.
2/ Never point the muzzle at anything you do not want to shoot.
3/ Do not put your finger on trigger until your sights are on target and you are ready to shoot.
4/ Be sure of your target and safe background.

Posts: 268 | Location: Western Arkansas/Barksdale,TX. USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
So does the SSS Expedition contain Picaridin plus sunscreen? What is the difference in it and the other Bug Guard Plus? I see the other is listed that it does contain Picaridin but no sunscreen. Would be nice to have both as I plan to take Doxy for malaria...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Geraniol, a juice from geraniums.

Aren't Geraniums the plant that pyrethrins are extracted from???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37720 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anything that eats the paint, and other coverings off of cameras, binocs, scopes, stock finish I don't want it on my skin, period.

I don't believe it is the DEET that dissolves finishes but the carrier.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37720 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane.

Chrysanthemun is the source of pyrethrum. This is a item exported from Keyna.

There is a product marketed in that area that is very effective on buggs. The product name escapes me. ddrhook wil remember the name.

Elton Rambin
Mail/Ship: 1802 Horse Hollow Rd.
Barksdale, Texas 78828
Phone: 479 461 3656
Ranch: 830-234-4366
Check our Hunt & Class Schedule
at
www.ftwoutfitters.com

4 Rules of Gun Safety
1/ Treat all guns as though they are loaded.
2/ Never point the muzzle at anything you do not want to shoot.
3/ Do not put your finger on trigger until your sights are on target and you are ready to shoot.
4/ Be sure of your target and safe background.

Posts: 268 | Location: Western Arkansas/Barksdale,TX. USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sgt Brown
posted Hide Post
There is an in-depth discussion of repellents going on right now down in the hog hunting section of AR.

Tom

DRSS
NRA Life

"Learn to ride hard, shoot straight, dance well and so live that you can - if necessary - look any man in the eye and tell him to go to hell!" US Cavalry Manual 1923

Posts: 93 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do we dare stoop to scrooling down to the "hog hunting" section? Big Grin Just kidding, looks like some good information being rooted around over there.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Just a note: Permethrin should not be used on skin, only clothing. The best place to buy it is any farm store or feed store. They carry it for use on horses and it is much cheaper.
Max

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Farm stores also carry a product that works for ticks, mozzies and flies as well. It can be used on the skin with no problem. It's used for horse fly prevention around livestock. the name escapes me but it's ???#14. The folks at the store should be able to come up with it for you? Just say that stuff that ends in #14 for horse flies!!! Smiler

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by prof242:
Just a note: Permethrin should not be used on skin, only clothing. The best place to buy it is any farm store or feed store. They carry it for use on horses and it is much cheaper.
Max

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
I've taken the Exhibition SSS into heavily infested Moyowosi and have tried it there (by comparison, in the Selous they're almost non-exiistant). It does seem to hinder them a bit though does not block them completely or for long. We would put it on one arm and not the other to check its performance with only limited results. It also only seems to have that modest impact for only an hour or so, which means that you'd need to put it on throughout the day, something that gets to be a hassle.
So often tsetses scheme and coordinate rapid fire aerial attacks with little warning; frequently targeting your nose, eyes, and ears, not to mention ripe flesh. The quick attacks are not impacted by the mild annoyance of SSS, leaving me to abandon the stuff early in the trip as I improved my bug smashing techniques.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elton Rambin:
Dogcat.

Getting storms today?

Years ago we used Watkins Products Canadian formula but cannot find in States now. Down side was it had some deet. Deet should never be used on children as it can cause among other things seasure..

Now,we use a combo: On skin a product BUG Band containing Geraniol, a juice from geraniums. Also goto; www.ehow.com and then look up geranium oil or just look up on general search.There are plenty of recipies and some use eucalyptus oil (that I have not tried).

On clothing products with Pyrethins are good for several washings kill bugs like a hammer and are usless on skin. It is hard to find to find this other than airasol but treating clothing before departing works fine. We instruct camp help not to over wash outer ware. I do not know if that makes a difference. Best buy in this is at farm store CV80 which is sold as a barn fly product.

Geraniol was developed by a university and there is/was a lot of info on these studies on net several years ago. It comes in a cream pump.

These two with color selection seems to work for our trips.

Elton,
We had 5 twisters in town, but no significant damage other than trees down everywhere. No big deal but could have been.

Posts: 10358 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sgt Brown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Do we dare stoop to scrooling down to the "hog hunting" section? Big Grin Just kidding, looks like some good information being rooted around over there.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Just pretend the word "Wart" is in front of "Hog"! jumping

Tom

DRSS
NRA Life

"Learn to ride hard, shoot straight, dance well and so live that you can - if necessary - look any man in the eye and tell him to go to hell!" US Cavalry Manual 1923

Posts: 93 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SB - Excellent!! That indeed does make it easier to stoop. Thanks,

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Brown:
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Just pretend the word "Wart" is in front of "Hog"! jumping

Tom

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where can a guy order some permetherine treatment for clothing? Is there anywhere online? I live in the serious boons and Muskol is as good as it gets here. I'm thinking it might be good stuff to use in the summer up here as well as for my trip to Zim in July.

SCI Life Member
DRSS

"In those savage countries success frequently depends upon one particular moment; you may lose or win according to your action at that critical instant."

Sir Samuel Baker

Posts: 297 | Location: New Scotland, Canada | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
Do a search on the internet. Sawyer makes a commercial product that is widely available. It comes in an aerosol spray and a concentrate with a pump bottle. Cabelas has it and many other places that might be less expensive. Search for permethrin.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigUglyMan:
Where can a guy order some permetherine treatment for clothing? Is there anywhere online? I live in the serious boons and Muskol is as good as it gets here. I'm thinking it might be good stuff to use in the summer up here as well as for my trip to Zim in July.
I get mine from Cabela's.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I'm still using the SSS. Still works for me. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quick hands and don't forget to roll em' when he's trapped underneath---

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote