THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Ultimate Shot on the Sportsman Channel

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ultimate Shot on the Sportsman Channel
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted
Have any of you watched this? Granted Archie Nesbitt is a little different but he puts on some great shows. Leopard with a bow in Ethiopia, Mountain Nyala with a bow in the Bale Mountains, hunting in Benin for buffalo with my old friend Yann LeBouvier and then another Benin program on plainsgame opportunities. Kinda cool and off the beaten track... not that I don't enjoy the programs on the southern African countries but it is nice to see those places we dream of hunting to give us an idea of what to expect when (and if) we ever hunt there!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
I like it as well. Pretty neat footage and with a bow none the less.

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Just me personally, but I have a hard time getting into the show. First, he is hunting with a bow and seems to love to let the arrows fly regardless of whether there is a decent shot or not (although he is damn good with the bow). Second, it seems to be produced on a shoestring. Footage and editing is not in the same class as TAA, Under Wild Skies or Dangerous Game, not even close. Third, Archie seems a little weird to me. That said, I do enjoy the fact that he hunts off the beaten path and he is not a bowhunter that is going to sit in a permanent concrete blind over a pumped waterhole and blast plainsgame. He works for his trophies and like I said, he seems to be very accomplished with his bow.

Mike

Posts: 21698 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just me personally, but I have a hard time getting into the show. First, he is hunting with a bow and seems to love to let the arrows fly regardless of whether there is a decent shot or not (although he is damn good with the bow). Second, it seems to be produced on a shoestring. Footage and editing is not in the same class as TAA, Under Wild Skies or Dangerous Game, not even close. Third, Archie seems a little weird to me. That said, I do enjoy the fact that he hunts off the beaten path and he is not a bowhunter that is going to sit in a permanent concrete blind over a pumped waterhole and blast plainsgame. He works for his trophies and like I said, he seems to be very accomplished with his bow.

Mike

+1

I agree completely -- Archie is a hunter through and through. I never hunt with a bow, but it's very clear even to me that he's about as good as one gets with that tool and he hunts with no compromise -- he earns his trophies.

I'm betting that he's very good company in the bush.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have posted about Archie before - not only has he killed just about everything under the planet, but he did it with a bow.

I agree with the comments the quality is a bit lacking. I also agree that he takes what look to be some questionable shots. Then again, so does Steve Kobrine.

Both guys are better hunters than me.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i saw it once a week or 2 ago, where he shot a hippo & and ele. never again. sorry but those 2 deserve a much quicker death than they got

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do like his shows. Thats its in HD is a bonus that to me makes up for any lack of quality in the filming (which I've not noticed because I was drooling over the great hunting that he gets to do). Seems like a good fellow as well.

Posts: 156 | Location: Preferably in the woods with my Verney-Carron .450/400 NE double rifle | Registered: 07 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
That said, I do enjoy the fact that he hunts off the beaten path and he is not a bowhunter that is going to sit in a permanent concrete blind over a pumped waterhole and blast plainsgame. He works for his trophies and like I said, he seems to be very accomplished with his bow.
Has killed plenty of critters behind the high-fence though. Not that it matters to me - just saying is all....

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a big fan, but the Mountain Nyala was a monster.

Posts: 121 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
I have posted about Archie before - not only has he killed just about everything under the planet, but he did it with a bow.

I agree with the comments the quality is a bit lacking. I also agree that he takes what look to be some questionable shots. Then again, so does Steve Kobrine.

Both guys are better hunters than me.

AAZW,

Archie is one of, I believe it's only 7 to have taken the North American 29 with a bow. Further, I think ONLY..Tom Hoffman and Archie Nesbitt are the only two of those seven, for all 29 to be of a minimum record book entry to Pope & Young. A fellow Phoenician friend of mine, you may know, has taken the 29 and is "rehunting" the ones that fell short of P&Y. The word dedicated falls short to describe these guys.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3543 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the Ultimate Shot was another whitetail show it would probably suck but with the places this guy goes and the animals he hunts I make a point of watching it. A mountain nyala with a bow? Amazing stuff!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
This week's show is interesting. A leopard hunt in Ethiopia with a bow and he takes a sod of leopard . . . leopard looks to be the size of a small lioness.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
On what channel and when does this show appear. I haven't seen it. Haven't seen Razor Dobbs show either but I hear I'm not missing much there.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
It is on the Sportsman Channel. I am not a fan of the show but he is damn proficient with a bow.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike. I'll look for it.

Back in the 90's, the North American Hunting Club put out a series of books and video's on hunting. I remember one of those VHS tapes (that I have somewhere) was of a Brown Bear hunt with Archie and his bow. He took a big one, well over 10'. I don't remember much about his mannerisms but I remember the camera was out of focus most of the time. I also remember being surprised at how fast the animal went down. He hit it while in the stream fishing. It climbed out onto land, took 3 steps and started the wobbly dance. Then just collapsed. Maybe 30 seconds from shot to collapse. Pretty impressive.

I do think he's been a good ambassador for our sport over the years but that is a face value statement from his participation in SCI.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in Mozambique when Archie was there. He stayed in a separate camp much of the time, but a very nice guy when he was around. He had brought a smaller "kid's" bow with him, and was giving the children of the PHs lessons. Cute. He shot a Hartebeast at 110 meters while there. I agree with Butchloc, however, on the big animals. He shot an Elephant Bull and lost it. We went up in a plane and located it out on the flats near the Zambesi, copied down the GPS coordinates, and dropped them down to their spike camp in a coke bottle. They found and finished the animal in the next day or so. I'm sure the film will show the shot, then everybody smiling around the trophy.

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
shared a coversation with him in the Patron's club at the SCI Con a few years ago and he seemed like a nice guy. one thing for sure- he is really GOOD WITH A BOW!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13403 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
shared a coversation with him in the Patron's club at the SCI Con a few years ago and he seemed like a nice guy. one thing for sure- he is really GOOD WITH A BOW!

I'd say so if he can shoot a Hartebeast at 110 meters. I used to practice all the time when I was interested in Bow Hunting. Had a 3D range (small one) in my back yard. I could never get really proficient past 50 yards and even that seemed like a long way to shoot considering time of flight. Lots of time for an animal to take a step or two. But yeah, some of the bow hunters you see on TV are pretty incredible with their weapons!