THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    3 more days...and my son can't stand it...

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3 more days...and my son can't stand it...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, Friday we wing our way to Jo'berg for 8 days of hunting for PG. I'm taking my 21 year old son and it is his first trip to hunt Africa. I think I am confident to say that he will keep the booking agents busy in the coming years.....he is beside himself with anticipation. He's hunted stateside with me; out west for deer/antelope/exotics and back east for deer and turkey, but this is his first safari. I'm jealous.....I remember my first safari and I acted the same way as he is but I was MUCH older.
Will post pics upon return......keep the internet humming in my absence.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCIDSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Have a great trip and good hunting.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go for it guys!

I hunted with my 19 y.o. son about this time last year in Namibia for PG also...We had a fantastic time!

We've never been the same since!

Safe hunting and best wishes!

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gail Selby
posted Hide Post
Hope you have a fantastic time and I'm sure after this your son will be a regular to Africa! Once bitten by the "Africa Fever" - you all come back!!! Wink

Good hunting,
Cheers
Gail

"Tackle all stressful situations like a dog –if you can’t eat it or roll in it then piss on it and walk away."

Posts: 38 | Location: Maun, Botswana | Registered: 16 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Good luck and have fun

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if your staying in Afton Lodge while your in Jo'Burg, but I'll be there on Friday the 19th.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Garby trhe best to you both... My son wnt with me on my first elephant hunt..

This is for your son... To raise the excitement...

http://picasaweb.google.com/re...aChopChopSAdventure#

Mike thumb

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Good Luck, I took my wife to South Africa for her first time last month and she's suffering from PSD trying to figure out a way for us to go back. Big Grin

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Good luck on the Safari. Just make sure that you and your son enjoy every second of it together. Gail's right; the African bug will surely bite him! There is NO CURE. You must go back and back and back for treatment!

one of us
posted Hide Post
GarBy,

Best of luck and enjoy every moment of the hunt with your son. When you two are sitting around the campfire at night, drinking a "spook and diesel", think of us wishing we were with you in Africa.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9376 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
You guys have a great time. It will be a very special trip...TH

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to you and your son!

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GarBy, enjoy the times and the best for a great time and hunt.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now is it kind to start a 21 year old on a life long habit that will completely change the way he manages his money?

Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

You Betcha! Have a GREAT time fellas!!!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of edholum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mstarling:
Now is it kind to start a 21 year old on a life long habit that will completely change the way he manages his money?

Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

You Betcha! Have a GREAT time fellas!!!

There might be some truth to the money idea....I'm 22 and I know what I will be spending money on the rest of my life dancing

I take my hat off to you sir for taking your son!

"Conservation through Hunting"

Posts: 260 | Location: SE South Dakota | Registered: 20 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
You should really put forth some effort to get him even more excited. Go rent Hatari, Breaker Morant, The Ghost and the Darkness, and The Gods Must be Crazy. Make him watch them all.

Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Gail Selby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
You should really put forth some effort to get him even more excited. Go rent Hatari, Breaker Morant, The Ghost and the Darkness, and The Gods Must be Crazy. Make him watch them all.

Big Grin

I have watched The Gods Must Be Crazy about 10 times and still fall off the couch laughing - great dvd!!! jumping

"Tackle all stressful situations like a dog –if you can’t eat it or roll in it then piss on it and walk away."

Posts: 38 | Location: Maun, Botswana | Registered: 16 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of your well wishes. Trust me....we have watched Ghost and Darkness, Out of Africa, I dream of Africa and about 50 DVR's shows from the Outdoor and VS Channels. If he was any more excited, he'd already be swimming across!!....since he was a HS swimmer, he might just make it.
He's already talking about hunting DG on the next trip.....but I told him to finish at the University first....maybe for a graduation present. Spoiled rotten kid... Roll Eyes

Again, thanks to all...will post story and pics upon return.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have a great trip. I too had the opportunity to take my sons to Africa and it was a trip that we will treasure for the rest of our lives. I hope yours is just as good.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Gary,
Congrats on taking your son! I wish you and he all the luck in the world! I leave with my 12 year-old son (he keeps reminding me he will turn 13 on this trip) for 10 days in the East Cape on June 30th... I don't know who is more excited!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote