THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Are you changing your hunt preferences this year ?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are you changing your hunt preferences this year ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted
Sorry if this is too personal.....but.....I am really curious how folks here have altered their behaviour given the current economic crisis. Me....I've cut my hunting budget by 50%.

Question:
How have you altered your hunting budget this year?

Choices:
decrease hunting budget by 10%
decrease hunting budget by 25%
decrease hunting budget by 50%
decrease hunting budget by 75%
Had planned to hunt but cancelled

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I'd say that answers some questions people had on this subject! coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Of course, the missing replies are "I hadn't initially planned to hunt this year" and "I am not changing my budget...gonna hunt as much or more than last year". If people would be kind enough to post those replies, it would help gather a more complete set of responses.

Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I can't play...

I really haven't changed my budget, per se, at all.

I haven't booked anything yet, but plan to in the next month or so.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
You need at least two more choices - no change and increased. I've booked a buff hunt which will result in an increase. Others may be in the same or similar situation.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
The problem is that there are only so many responses allowed by the AR software....so if people could add in their post "increased hunt budget", "hadn't planned to hunt", or "unchanged" that would be great.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I had planned another African hunt, but did not book. Part of the problem is that I already have three sets of trophy animals from the last three safaris to get taxidermied and I have a daughter getting married in a couple of months(expensive). The other half of the equation was a Mexican Desert Mule Deer Hunt that I completed at the first of this month. So, for me, I will be waiting until 2010, unless some "can't pass up deal" suddenly reveals itself. But I'm not holding my breath.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark me down as one that has not changed my hunting budget. I am planning a plains game hunt in late October. I just can't reduce the activities that keep me sane in this insane world.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a hunt planned to S.Africa but cancelled. Now looking at something closer to home that I can do myself. Maybe a antelope hunt or deer hunt in one of the western states.

Brooks

Posts: 179 | Location: Virginia, NE. USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to say increased. Booked first Buffalo hunt in Zim for August.

Posts: 42342 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never have a budget for hunting. If things appeal to me, I go. If they don't appeal to me I don't. As such some years I spend a hell of a lot more than others.

The only thing I am considering cutting this year is one of my deer leases with a cost of $9,000 plus feeders. I went 2 days last year and the leaseholders son just got caught shooting deer at night. May have damaged it for a while.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
My wife and I are booking a hunt for 2010 in Namibia which would be an increase in spending. 09 will see us in Montana if I can draw a tag.

John

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably have to say increased some. I'm scheduled for DG in Africa this year, but only several domestic hunts next year.

I have lots of points in several states which may come through in the next year or so. Plus the wife has mandated a "romantic" vacation with no hunting or fishing for my 60th B-Day. Smiler

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't hunt in the odd numbered years so no change for me in 2009. In 2010 I was waffling between leopard in Zimbabwe and moose in Alaska. My wife mentioned leopard being cute, and had a sad look on her face when I mentioned my interest in them; that probably means I'm hunting moose in 2010. I think in 2012 I'm going to keep my mouth shut and go hunting l_____d.

Posts: 13860 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buying ammo I have cut buying about 25%. To make up the difference I got a job

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted Hide Post
did not vote in poll, as we have increased our trip length and added my first dg (Leopard )
onto the hunt. We have been saving for this trip
for 2 years and figured why not extend the trip to 3 weeks ( no added travel exp) then our ph got a leopard tag and basiclly twisted my arm to take the tag. ( he didnt work to hard) So our total costs have doubled but you only live once , plus if things get bad Iam sure Obama will bail me out LOL!

Africa Bug " Embrace the bite , live for adventure "
EJ Carter 2011

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
These poll results are already startling Eeker

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will be going to Zim in May/June and didn't go last year so I will be among those with increased budget in 2009. It would be even higher if all my ammo stores shelves were not EMPTY!

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Keep it coming gentlemen! In a week or so, we will tally up all the numbers including the "no change" and "increased my budget" responses.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
No change.

We are going back to the Moyowosi where we hunted last year with our friends the Vincents.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Saeed: I received the 2008 Tanzania Game Tracker Safaris Annual SCOPE publication and noted your pictures and those of Walter, Dwight, and Nelson in the publication. Very nice! The picture of your croc is especially good. I also met Leoni at the SCI convention. She's as beautiful in real life as in your pictures! I missed meeting Alan, but he was there too.

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Great response so far....keep it coming!

posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, I cancelled a Tanzaniza safari with TGT (same outfit that Saeed went with in '08 and is going again in '09). I've hunted with them twice before, but with my investment portfolio down 40%, it just doesn't seem "responsible" to spend six figure $ on a safari when I'm not sure where "the bottom" of this recession will end up. Maybe I'll live long enough to see a rebound and can go again, but not now...

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
well if you had planned your survey beter you wouldn't have these problems...Dumas

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karamojo Bill
posted Hide Post
I am spending a LOT MORE $$$$ this year on hunting than I ever have. This is my first trip to Africa in August...been a dream of mine for 40 years! I'll be taking 7 species.

Karamojo Bill

At then end of my time here, I want to come skidding through the Pearly Gates & hear God say, "Whoa Boy, that was a hell of a ride!"

Posts: 118 | Location: Margaritaville, Oregon | Registered: 30 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
In the process of booking two hunts for 2010 and since I have only done self guided "low buck" hunts in the past with the most expensive being a Brown Bear for about $700 total including air taxi, I suppose I have increased my hunting budget about 3000% if that counts.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
You just keep thinkin' Mike, that's what you're good at.

Wink rotflmo Wink