New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harry Selby
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
We lionize men less worthy than Harry Selby.
Harry is the hero of heroes.
I hoped to bump into him when I passed through Maun, maybe next time around.
I am filing that article in the Ruark section of my library ... and waiting for the definitive biography, and maybe some of the recollections of Harry Selby on Audio CD. That would be fun to listen to. thumb

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
My thanks for posting too. Congratulations to Mr. Selby.

Special thanks to Gail for undertaking to show Harry the way of joining AR! We are all looking forward to welcoming Harry as a member here! clap

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess if all you have to do to be a legend is do something few can do, do it very well for a long time and manage to be unfailingly gracious while doing so, I reckon Mr. Selby qualifies if anybody does.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9581 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to Harry and the Selby family. I wish all those surviving pioneers of professional hunting would be recognized too. Gail, my best to your brother Mark and tell him we are all eagerly awaiting his and his fathers memoirs beer

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Thanks so much for sharing, Gail. Pass along my congratulations to Harry for his accomplishments. He's truly lead a remarkable life, quite frankly, all of you have!

Like to join in and second what Ann says here.

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing this with us.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a incredible life. I can only imagine a evening around a campfire with Mr. Selby and the stories he could he could tell.
This thread alone made joining this forum a worth while endeavor. It instills dreams of old Africa.
Thank you for posting.
Congratulations to Mr. Selby!

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations for the honor bestowed and Gail, thanks for keeeping us up to date on your father.

Posts: 73 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 18 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To have harry as a member here will put all of us in the company of a great man who has become the icon of what a PH is to be. My own addiction to Africa is by his hand and RR's pen-thank you!!!

Bob Clark

Posts: 330 | Location: Vanderhoof'British Columbia | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
The stories of Harry Selby that Robert Ruark has shared with us have led us to appreciate the man, his accomplishments, and his outlook on hunting. Through these stories Harry Selby was the inspiration for many if not most of the hunters of my generation who have trekked to Africa. The award is more than justified and long overdue.

I echo the earlier call in this thread for an opportunity to learn even more about the man, his life, his Africa, and his experiences. A memoir or biography would not only be most appreciated by those who now know and appreciate Harry Selby but would also excite, encourage, and challenge the next generation as well.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They don't "make" Harry Selby's anymore.

Few, past or present, could fill his shoes.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Gail, I have read so many stories and your Dad's name in them I am honored to say Harry Selby, profesional hunter extraordinaire...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gail

Thank you for sharing this great and well deserved article about your Dad.

Please give Harry my best regards and thanks for all that he has done for the hunting and safari industry. I wish him well and a marvelous retirement.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gail
Thank you for sharing a wonderful article, Congratulations to your Father on a well deserved honor. I have never managed to bump into your Dad while passing through Maun, hopefully I can rectify that next time. His life is the stuff dreams are made of.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, I guess if all you have to do to be a legend is do something few can do, do it very well for a long time and manage to be unfailingly gracious while doing so, I reckon Mr. Selby qualifies if anybody does.

Yep! That kinda says it all, don't it.

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to Mr. Selby. With best wishes and regards to you and your father.

Reddy375

Posts: 2539 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
It is so very pleasing to see Mr Selby recognized for the truly great man that he is. I had the good fortune to be introduced to him somewhere in the late 1980's or 1990 at a SCI convention. I knew that I was in the presence of greatness, a true gentleman.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
A much-deserved and well-earned honor. Congratulations!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13399 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! Congrats to your Father, and thank you for posting and joining our community Ms Selby. Best wishes to you both.
Kindest regards,
David Keith

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Gail
I was staying with Harrys neighbor John Dugmore last year and your dad kindly signed my first edition copy of Horn Of The Hunter, one of most prized possessions ! Please give Harry my best !
Many Thanks
Dave Fulson

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunsmithing
posted Hide Post
Gail,
Thank you for everything. Your father is a remarkable man, and you likewise.
I just read the article your father wrote for the American Rifleman. Wonderful. What a shame that an oil magnate was able to talk your brother out of the 450/400. Oh well, it is in good company. I hope he does not let it rust in some safe, but goes to Africa, and hunts Ruarks,Bells and your fathers old haunts. That would be treating it with respect.
Thank you again for the DVD. I watch it as many times as I can. My family is getting tired of it, but who cares at 2:00 A.M. It is one of MY prized possessions.
John Duncan

One of Us
Picture of gunsmithing
posted Hide Post
Wanted to tell the people here on the Forum, that Brian Wentink, Gail Selby Wentink's husband passed away Tuesday. I received an e-mail from Gail about it.