New
Find
Notify
Tools

5-star TAA this week...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Woo-Hoo, what a contrast from the last two.
The client killed his game cleanly it appears.
He shot a nice Cape Buffalo, and they followed up. Buff was down, and the PH actually ASKED the client if an insurance shot was okay. Client agreed, and THEN the PH shot. Buffalo was dead, but it was a smart cautious move.
Same with the Leopard, bang-dead-fall over. The bonus was hearing/seeing them move to the bait and the two Leopards around it.
That is the quality hunt I hope to have next year, Lord willing. The PH is a guy I could hunt with!!

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Rich...I believe it was the same PH that has been bashed for the past 2 weeks...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:
Rich...I believe it was the same PH that has been bashed for the past 2 weeks...

Damn that irony!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Scottyboy, thats not irony, thats track across Rich!

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3557 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Rich. I didn't know it was the same guy either, if it was, his program has changed. On the other shows the ph shot nearly simultaneously with the client.

It could be that he didn't trust the shooting of the other hunters or maybe they asked for backup. Anyway, I liked the way he ran this safari. I to would like to hunt with him.

Posts: 414 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe the PH is learning. It did state up front that they had hunted together before.
Could be he and this guy "had the talk" before they left camp.

It was just refreshing to see somebody get to kill their own game this month on TAA.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
What I don't understand is why the PH does not just tell the client to fire the insurance shot. Maybe on this episode...the client just said: "go ahead and shoot it." I don't know.

Dave,
Just a benign question...no malice meant.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37897 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I asked Steve to shoot an anchoring shot when we where hunting because if I would have fired with him in his position it would have caused him more ear damage

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
men , it comes back to what has been said several times , the fast backup was probably a result of a request from the client , same ph different request does what he has been asked - isnt that what everyone wants in a ph ?

i get asked multiple times to backup - both on elephant and buff - that said i would rather not unless its fixing to go sideways -

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
different request does what he has been asked - isnt that what everyone wants in a ph ?

Yessir! If that is what the client wants. We are both in service industries and making the client happy is paramount.

In this shooting thing...I guess it is different strokes for different folks.

I just like to finish what I start. Just my way. Others can do as they wish too.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37897 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane,
when is the last time a horse complained that your hands where cold jumping or your scalpel was dull animal jumping

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddrhook:
Lane,
when is the last time a horse complained that your hands where cold jumping or your scalpel was dull animal jumping

Horse never complains...but...f@*&#^g owners make up for it!!!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
animal animal animal jumping jumping same with my patients. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to Ivan and the rest who posted. I think open communication is mandatory. If this thread gets one hunter to discuss the deal with his PH it has done its job.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane
I do not know why Mark gave the last shot on what looked like a very dead buff as I was not filming the hunt. I think the client was off to the right, but I believe he was on the scene as it was a slow follow up. Not really sure of what that was about, but the hunter was tickled with the bull and thats about all I know on that follow up.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

thanks for the work you do. This is what I would call the "Pay the insurance"?.
I would have been okay with this shot by the PH.
The Buffalo was very dead.

I think the discussion hinges around a shot like this by the PH versus the "Echo" shot we saw a week ago.

The PH needs to give the client every chance to kill his game himself. It happened this time.

Congrats to all involved.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It appeared to me that the PH said something to the client and then made the final shot. He may have asked him if he wanted him to put in an insurance shot and the client agreed.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The correct thing would have been to tell the client to move into position and fire his own shot. Client was close, buff was not moving. Appeared that Mr. Valero attempted a shot then took the safety off of his double.

Dutch

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't see what the big deal is. That buff was dead. I could care less if that was my buff and the PH put another into it - it was clearly not moving. Is there any challenge at all to putting a bullet into a buff carcass at 40 yards? I hope not, or you shouldn't be hunting.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He ASKED the client first. This topic has focused around the issue of when the PH shoots. In case you missed it, the past two TAA's had the PH shooting so fast it sounded like an instant echo of the client's shot. Like Boom-Boom!
Reference the rather acrimomious discussions of MS videos.

regards,

Rich