New
Find
Notify
Tools

6,5*55 sweedish mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can this calibre be used for small to medium planes game in Namibia, I thinking up to Zebra size?

StigonomSmiler

Posts: 87 | Location: Norway | Registered: 28 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For small game (duiker, warthog, etc.), yes. In my opinion this is undergunned for zebra, gemsbok, hartebeest,kudu, etc. I am sure others will disagree and no doubt someone has done it with a .22, but wounding game is not my thing.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
You are NOT undergunned IMO. Big brown bears and big mooses are no problem for a 6,5x55...Why would a striped horse be a problem ?

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no doubt about this calibers performance, as I know many hunters who have killed moose with it, I wonder is it legal to hunt with in Namibia?

Stigonom

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5X55 Swede is an excellent plains game caliber provided you use a good bullet. My son took all manner of plains game, including 2 zebra and two wildebeasts on three different safaris with a 6.5 Swede. All animals were one shot kills except one zebra, which was hit too far back because it took a step as the shot was fired.
The load we used was RL 22 behind a 140 gr. Swift A Frame at 2750 fps out of a 22 inch barreled Model 70. I was particularly impressed at the performance of this load on one wildebeast. The bullet entered on the point of the shoulder and was found under the hide of the opposite flank, perfect mushroom. The wildebeast dropped like he had been hit by lightning.
As always, proper bullet, proper placement determine the outcome.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sherpi
posted Hide Post
How big are Zebra, gemsbok, hartebeest and kudu? 120 kg reindeer is no problem for 6.5x55 but I have never been hunting in Africa.

Sauer and Zeiss, perfect match.
Sherpi

Posts: 134 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
Well placed shots, sensible ranges, premium bullets. No problem.

What ranges will you be shooting at in Namibia?

------------------------------

Richard
VENARI LAVARE LUDERE RIDERE OCCEST VIVERE

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deerdogs:
Well placed shots, sensible ranges, premium bullets. No problem.

What ranges will you be shooting at in Namibia?

Well said. I am always amazed when people ignore shot distance when answering this question.

In the mountains of central Namibia shots can be long. A 6.5 would not be my choice if I wanted to take shots at 250+.

If you are willing to hold yourself to 150y while trying to get it under 100y the 6.5 would be fine.

I shot my Hartmans at 20 yards(chance encounter) with a 30-06. I have no doubt that a 243 would have got the job done.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
Shot placement thats the answer.

with a premium 160gr or 140gr will definitely do the job. they have a great sectional density and penetrate like hell.

the 6.5 x 55 and 7 x 57 is very high on my favorites list

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I totally have to agree with 375 fanatic; it's ALL about shot placement. Also, with today's great bullet selection, I wouldn't feel undergunned on any of Africa's game except the big, dangerous stuff with the 6.5X55 - it's simply one of those cartridges that just work.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1584 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400 Jeffrey's
posted Hide Post
Here is another vote for the 6.5 Swede. I've used it in RSA on kudu and found it superb. R 19 behind Nosler 140 Partitions is a very accurate load.

Posts: 142 | Location: Dreaming of Luangwa | Registered: 23 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check with NAPHA on legality. It isn't legal in Zim (7mm or bigger for class C Game). Actually the 6,5 is a very good long range round- especially when combined with a rangefinder! Many of the bullets available have very good BC's and buck the wind better than many other bigger calibers.

On the game...Kudu, Tsetseby, Springbok Blessbok- no problem. Zebra, Wildebeest...Hmm I used a 7x57 for many years. Worked fine with 170-175grn bullets, but I certainly wasn't overgunned Wink

Moose are built like kudu- tall and thin. Zebra and Wildebeest are much heavier set.

Summery- yes it will work, but you are limiting yourself to good angle shots with time for good shot placement only. Nothing wrong with that- I have hunted with a handgun alot and accept even more stringent 'restrictions', but you must know you are not going to be able to take the same shots that you would with say .300WSM with a nice 180grn TTSX in it.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:
Check with NAPHA on legality. It isn't legal in Zim (7mm or bigger for class C Game). Actually the 6,5 is a very good long range round- especially when combined with a rangefinder! Many of the bullets available have very good BC's and buck the wind better than many other bigger calibers.

On the game...Kudu, Tsetseby, Springbok Blessbok- no problem. Zebra, Wildebeest...Hmm I used a 7x57 for many years. Worked fine with 170-175grn bullets, but I certainly wasn't overgunned Wink

Moose are built like kudu- tall and thin. Zebra and Wildebeest are much heavier set.

Summery- yes it will work, but you are limiting yourself to good angle shots with time for good shot placement only. Nothing wrong with that- I have hunted with a handgun alot and accept even more stringent 'restrictions', but you must know you are not going to be able to take the same shots that you would with say .300WSM with a nice 180grn TTSX in it.

THanks!
I checked NAPHA and on their site they say that 7mm is the smallest calibre.
Its a pity, coz I planned this calibre in a rifle for my wife. I can get lot of cheap training ammo for it here, but as she wants to hunt too, must rather have something bigger but not too big either, she is a small girl.

STIGSmiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is 7mm a recommendation or a regulation?

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RVL In Zim it is a regulation SI362 Section 54. There is also a minimum ME and the 7x57 only just makes it with American Loadings.

Actually the way the Zim Legislation is worded is intereswting. It was drafted to keep the 6,5 and .270 to class D game (Impala, warthog etc) But it actually says "...having a bullet of not less than 7mm diamiter". Well the .270 uses a bullet of 7,04mm and it is bore size that is 6.8mm. Not that anybody is going to complain. I doubt that even most of the parks top brass couldn't convert Imperial to metric any longer let alone understand the fine details of the legislation.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RVL III:
Is 7mm a recommendation or a regulation?

http://www.natron.net/napha/english/huntinglaws.html
Firearms

Smallest calibre 7 mm.
Minimum energy (Eo - muzzle velocity): 1350 Joule for springbuck, duiker etc.
2700 Joule for hartebeest, wildebeest, kudu, gemsbuck, eland etc.
5400 Joule for buffalo, elephant, rhino etc.
Seems to me it is a regulation.

I ran some numbers in my ballistic program.
A 6,5 norma vulcan 140 gr. bullet at 880 m/s(2887 f/s), will have 3488 J at the barrel, well over required for medium game which was 2700 J.

STIGSmiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, but to small for my taste.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote