THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    TSA EN ROUTE INSPECTION=LATE BAGGAGE

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TSA EN ROUTE INSPECTION=LATE BAGGAGE
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone experienced this? On my recent trip to the Nam, my bag didn't show at JNB. It arrived in Windhoek the day after I did. When I opened the gun case, there was a note that seemed to indicate TSA had opened the gun case at JFK where I made a connection, causing my bag to get left behind.

My initial reaction was "Those stupid low-paid brain-challenged morons: I told them there were guns in the bag, the Xray showed guns in the bag, the inspector opened the bag and guess what: GUNS!!; and then they had to do it all again en route". After I calmed down, I wondered what one can do to avoid this seemingly redundant inspection, especially the en-route one.

Fortunately, I only was only sans rifle for a half day, and I spent that with a borrowed rifle that I never had cause to use.

Anyone had a similar experience? Should one plan 3 hour connections to allow for this possibility?

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did your guncase not look like a guncase?

I just travelled last week from Los Angeles (LAX) to Boise, Idaho and found the TSA people at LAX to actually be very helpful. I was using an SKB double rifle case which looks exactly like what it is, a rifle case. The TSA agent asked if I had guns in there. I replied "Yes" and he told me to lock up the case. He put it through the scanner and then on to the plane. Arrived without a problem. The TSA agent in Boise was also great.

I am a bit concerned about your experience, because I will be flying from LAX to JFK and then on to Joburg. If there is anything I can do to avoid having my guns delayed, I would like to do it.

Thanks.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
There are places one should never travel w/ guns; NY is one & London the other. The last time I left the country w/ a rifle was July before 9/11, I hope I don't have an experience like yours. I'll be going from LAX to Atlanta to JNB to Moz.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used one of those BOYT soft cases that has wheels and a separate compartment below for a shotgun-style hard case (I was hunting with a Valmet double rifle with a spare set of shotgun bbls). This might be part of the reason. Also the case was super heavy, as the ammo etc was in a metal ammo can in the top portion, along with all my other gear. Can't say for sure but these might have been contributing factors. Anyway, I put a copy of the 4473 in the guncase as well.

Next time, I am going to ask TSA at the point of departure to mark the case "INSPECTED", if that is an option.

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very interesting Russ, I use cabelas duffel which holds a two rifle case and has duffel compartments above and has wheels but look like a duffel. I have never had any problems in the past including last falls hunt in the UK but then again I flew in and out of Gatwick which I think is better than Heathrow for hunters.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I use cabelas duffel which holds a two rifle case and has duffel compartments above and has wheels but look like a duffel. I have never had any problems in the past including last falls hunt in the UK but then again I flew in and out of Gatwick which I think is better than Heathrow for hunters.

I also had a "drop-bottom" duffel that fit my Blaser takedown case in the lower compartment on my recent trip, but Lufthansa made me separate the gun case from the duffel and check it separately via the TSA security folks.

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
At check in, ask for a hand inspection of the firearms case and and the case with the ammo. TSA will put a sticker on it that indicates it has been inspected.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Quote:

TSA will put a sticker on it that indicates it has been inspected.

Regards,

Terry

The TSA inspector probably didn't put that sticker on after the initial inspection; they spotted it at JFK and re-inspected (as should be the case).

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The combined duffel/gun case cover is a USELESS piece of luggage in the post 9/11 world. I should know because I have one of the big ones from Cabela�s that I now wish I had never bought.

If the airline permits you to put your gun case in the duffel, you shouldn�t do it anyway--precisely because of the risk of the kind of in transit inspection/delay problem that Russ experienced in this case.

As Terry says, you should ask for a hand inspection of your gun case so that it can be PLASTERED with multiple TSA stickers as evidence for the in transit security folks that it has already been inspected.

But--the duffel/gun case combo is a bad idea even if you do that.

If, after it has been hand inspected, you stick your gun case back in the bottom of the duffel before your bags are checked, you will STILL risk the in transit inspection problem--because an in transit x-ray will show the gun, but NOT THE STICKERS, and your duffel will be set aside and subjected to another hand inspection that could keep it on the ground for an extended period of time while you fly away without it.

In this scenario, the second hand inspection may end as soon as the duffel is unzipped and the stickers on the gun case are seen, but if your connection time is short, you can't afford even a short delay.

So, the duffel/gun case combos are useless. Leave them at home.

Of course, if you want to, you can still use them as duffels. But they are huge. They are designed to hold gun cases, and that alone justifies their size.

The gun case provides needed rigidity to the duffel--without the case, it is impossible to use the wheels, and the duffels become terribly unwieldy to lug around.

If, in spite of this thread, anyone wants to buy my Cabela's duffel/gun case combo, please email me. I'll make you a really good deal.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Of course, if you want to, you can still use them as duffels. But they are huge. They are designed to hold gun cases, and that alone justifies their size.

The gun case provides needed rigidity to the duffel--without the case, it is impossible to use the wheels, and the duffels become terribly unwieldy to lug around.

The one I have was actually designed for the U.S. Ski Team and the bottom is only big enough for the Blaser takedown case. The external frame for the handle and wheels provides rigidity even without the gun case inside. I used the bottom for my parka, soft gun case (folded). When they made me remove the gun case and told me my carry-on, which contained all the gear they tell you to put in your carry-on (cameras, binocs, etc.), was over their weight limit of 8 kg, I transfered most of them to the lower compartment of the duffle. That way they're protected on top by the soft stuff, and from below by the external frame. That 8 kg limit is a real problem if you're bringing any significant amount of optical and electronic gear.

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Slingster,

I own a couple of Blaser R93s and see your point. A much smaller duffel (maybe 36-38") would be needed for a taken down R93 than my full length, 54" long behemoth from Cabela's. The exterior frame is also a good idea.

I can see how yours might be as useful as a regular, extra large, duffel bag. Perhaps I should have qualified my "USELESS" remark. But, as for the big ones, like mine, I'm sticking to my guns, so to speak.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

I wonder what it would cost to charter a plane from Atlanta to Harare?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote