Find
Notify
Tools

Re: You've had enough?!!!11
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
I would rather just keep the evidence and not cause any trouble to him if he leaves us alone. It is soooo quiet here that I don't want to stir the pot.

Don

Posts: 26543 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter

Your posting is bullshit The facts are that the Carmelo was not ignored.

Of all the forums on Saeeds site the African forum is the troll paradise and that is because of responses. In the past I have made plenty of troll type threads on AR and 99% have been on the African forum and with good reason

Why do the 45/70 threads run so long? Is it because the thread starter has made 78 out of the 79 postings We also know from the "Views" numbers that people on this forum love to look at Carmelos postings.

Now DRG might say in response to what I have said "what about the avalanche of emails". But the scene was set because the participators on the African forum made Carmelo the main game in town.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Mike375, while I'm not high on "government" intervention, the trolls that infect the site need to be illiminated like any pest. I don't ignore rats, roaches, feral cats, bad drunks, etc. around my home (which is where ever I am @ the moment). Trolls should get the same treatment. If they won't leave when asked then someone needs to MAKE them leave. Since I can't go to Carmello / Mortie / whate evet, then ot's time for the owner of site tostep in (JMO).

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Since I can't go to Carmello / Mortie / whate evet, then ot's time for the owner of site tostep in (JMO).

For the record:...I'm personally happy to see Carmelo gone!!!! He not only hogged the conversation and threads he was abusive and offered nothing whatever. Haven put him on "ignore" for the longest time I have no clue what his last complaints was but .....glad to see him removed.

Mortie on the other hand was not overdone.....Mortie wasn't abusive, Morie was a good bit of humor and anyone that didn't like his style of humor could easily ignore him.

Yes he had nothing to do with African hunting.....but he had a lot to do with the campfire "tongue in cheek" eticut we all like after a shower and a beer (if you drink).

IMO there's a place for Mortie style humor anywhere.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the trolls that infect the site need to be illiminated like any pest.

But I am suggesting that the current methods do not work!!!

With respect, I would suggest that your method (and most others) is to leave food all about the house and then invest in insect repellant.

What about not leaving food all about the house!!

Having said that the Carmelos do not worry me and they provide entertainment watching all the "ignore this user" posters going into overdrive to expand his threads and start threads about him. Kind of like leaving honey all over the place and then trying to work out which insect repellant is best for ants

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I rest my case.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don,

What would be interesting is that if can set "Views" up so that it won't accept duplicates. Can you set a field for "no duplicates"

If so, then it will mean lots of "Views" is lots of people viewing. If the threads then get lots of "Views" then it will tell you that many here like to real troll threads.

Mike

Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
Mike...if you click on this thread 1000 times it shows 1000 views. What is a dupe? You click on a thread everytime a new response is added to read the new reponse or reread an old one. How would the software know you are clicking on the thread for a new response or not?

Anyway, there is no options for that and while aood idea I'm not sure the software can determine that.

Don

Posts: 26543 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don,

I was imagining a record is created so that views can be counted and each poster would have a unique ID and if duplicates could not be accepted then "1 view per customer"

You will have noticed of course that many internet polls only accept one vote unless you clear your history.

Mike

Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
AH.
I see no way to do this in the software. I"ll ask UBB tho.
Don

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Mike

With all due respect to your points of view, the VAST majority of the guests whom contribute without malice DONT want those sorts on these forums, dont flog a dead horse, just get on with life and accept the majority view in this instance as you no doubt might concede it is a much better atmosphere without him around to knock over all the rat poison baits, you gotta admit & give some credit to the forum [ owner operators ] for their extreme patience and good will shown, in the end good won over evil, and it is their forum NOT ours to use as a cesspool!!

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
And, the PMs keep coming in thanking us for keeping it quiet after Carmelo's crap last week.

Not everyone answered him....hundreds were just seething quietly.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
There's such a thing as a "silent majority", Mike.

I put the little shit on "ignore" after his third post. He was the first of only two people I've ever put on ignore.

I could look past his filling up the board with bullshit topics, but when he started infecting other threads and dragging them off course, I got to the point where I didn't even open them, because they were just degenerating.

It does disappoint me that so many voyeurs had to have a look at his many car wrecks, and even worse, were immature enough to respond to him. It does encourage him.

Having said all that, the little shit really wasn't even worth my time and effort to bother to e-mail Don or Saeed to complain. I refuse to expend any more effort on him than I would expend in flicking a fly off my beer.

I'm glad Don and Saeed finally did something. There are limits on free speech. You can't (without reason) yell "Fire" in a crowded theatre, and you can't trash up decent sites just to fulfil a juvenile desire to be noticed.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, Don, add me to the list that says thanks for all your hard work. I enjoy coming to AR and I enjoy the freedom of posting my opinion, no matter how misguided it may be, without fear of censorship. However, sometimes some people just don't get the point that this is a hunting forum, not an area for unrestricted flame-wars. Thank you, gentlemen, for keeping it professional.

Rick

Posts: 159 | Location: Watkins Glen, NY, USA | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don, thanks for taking out the trash.

It even smells better in here now.

As for the idea "If everybody would ignore them they will go away", I agree.

That would definitely work. Unfortunately, we live in a real world, and you will never get 1,000 people to agree on anything.

Any concept that begins with "If everybody would just..." is doomed to failure.

If everybody would just be civil, well then there wouldn't be any trolls in the first place.

Rick.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote