THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    ".45-70 in Africa" - Oh no, not again!!!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

".45-70 in Africa" - Oh no, not again!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I received my copy of the new (Jan 2004) issue of RIFLE magazine yesterday and there it was on the cover:
".45-70 in Africa".

-

http://www.riflemagazine.com/

From the table of contents:
The .45-70 in Africa
Marlin 1895 in Zimbabwe
Brian Pearce

I haven't read the article yet. I did scan the article and here's the last paragraph:

"It was time to look for Old M'bogo, which turned out to be a hair-raising experience, never to be forgotten. To be continued..."

So I guess we can all get ready for the .45-70 crowd to start posting again about hunting dangerous game with their .45-70s. Gee, I can't wait.... [Roll Eyes]

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Who cares? If I went back and killed a Cape buffalo with a .30-06, that wouldn't make it a Cape buffalo round.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
You'll hear all about the .45-70 (especially in the Marlin Guide Gun) as the most devastatingly effective dangerous game package yet devised by man. The main ingredient needed to unleash all of this new-age magic is a special hard-cast lead bullet. A little wishful thinking doesn't hurt anything either, I suspect...

Sort of like the old Kennedy "magic bullet theory" - the wonders never seem to cease.

Yet, in the very same magazine or even on the same forum (like this one), the poor old .458 Win. Mag. gets disparaged as inadequate for much of anything other than punching paper or otherwise wasting your time and money. Never mind that it offers more case capacity that the .45-70 - that fact doesn't count. The .458 Win. lacks the nostalgia and novelty of the .45-70 Guide Gun, and because of that (evidently) these dealers of magic and their followers have deemed it unfit to be loaded with those hard-cast wunder bullets, which are far, far more effective that any steel-jacketed solid yet offered to the public.

AD