Tools

Man,son killed in wildebeest attack
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.news24.com/SouthAfr...eest-attack-20131216

Man, son killed in wildebeest attack
2013-12-16 12:23

Johannesburg - A farmer from Maclear, in the Eastern Cape, and his son were killed when two black wildebeest charged at them, Beeld reported on Monday.

Michael Moore, 59, his wife Adele, son John-John and daughter Julie, 22, had gone for a walk on the farm Earlostown on Saturday. Two black wildebeest were kept in a camp on the farm.

The Moores were apparently not aware of the animals being there.

"When the animals charged them, Adele managed to get away and ran in the direction of Rhodes," Gerrit Henning, chairperson of the Rhodes Community Safety Initiative, told the newspaper.

She asked for help at a nearby farm. She was unhurt. Her daughter sustained injuries to her head and face.

- SAPA

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9381 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I hunted the free state in '08, the day I arrived, there was a hunter that didn't listen to the PH and ran up on his Black Wildebeest after he shot it. It got up and gutted him before the ph could get it shot. That same day, on one of the farms I hunted, the owner had 5 bl. Wildebeest on his little place and one of them charged him as he was getting into his vehicle. Marks on the door were deep and had the animal hit him, it could have been serious. These poor defenseless animals.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen them charge trucks as well. One can't be too careful.

Posts: 11998 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe the Black Wildebeest should be called the poor man's buffalo instead of the Blue.

Life member NRA
formally scrappy

Posts: 192 | Location: Ga | Registered: 21 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
I know these people personally.They were to visit with us now on the 20th. A better man than John you couldn't find. He was full of fun an always helpful, friendly and loved by all who knew him.
He died saving his sisters life who ended up in ICU in hospital.She has fully recovered.

They are not farmers. They used to live in Barkley east where this happened and were on vacation there.They went for a family walk and took a short cut across some land and came across the wildebeest.

Unbeknown to them these wildebeest where hand raised as a live stock theft deterrent, so that they do not have a fear of man. They keep potential stock thieves away from ranchers sheep, being very territorial. This is a common practice for guys living close to town that have big live stock theft problems.

RIP John Moore you will be missed, you died a hero
salute

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On our first african hunt my son (then 9 years old) shot a black wildebeest bull after a very long stalk with his 7mm-08. He shot the bull broadside through both lungs. The bull dropped at the shot and went straight down, like a CNS shot. We pretty much walked over immediately following the shot. During the walk over the to the downed bull, the PH was carrying my son's rifle (7mm-08). I was carrying a 338 Win Mag. As we approached the bull from behind, it was still down, and looked very dead. When we were about 5 yards away, the bull jumped up but was initially facing away from us. He whipped his head around and saw us, and started to come at us. After the first step, the bull was hit with a 7mm-08 and then my 338 Win Mag. This time it went down and stayed down. Talk about adding a little excitement to a boring old plains game hunt.

My son's initial shot was a perfect double lung shot. In hindsight we should have given the bull more time to expire. Ten minutes later and the bull probably would have been stone dead. The one thing we did correctly was to approach the bull from behind.

It was amazing how fast the events unfolded. I still remember seeing that black wildebeest bull jump up like it was yesterday. It was pissed off, and wanted to put the hurt on someone.

Even with plains game, you always have to approach "dead" animals with caution.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1288 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to detract from this tragic event any.
One time we were going to butcher a whiteface bull. Father in law shot it in the horn cavity and it jumped a fence and took off across the pasture. We chased him in the pickup, bull rammed the L front fender and door. Tore things up pretty bad before Bob could get a decent shot in to kill him with.
OF course I thought it was all funny as hell but, nearly choked keeping it down as Bob was as pissed as the bull, especially after seeing his new trk beat up like that. Gotta make that killing shot first shot!
Yep, farm cattle get riled at times too. Don't have to be African species.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5949 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Shame about the tragedy! Frowner

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Very sad....prayers sent for the family.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote