New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dream about to come true!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My son and I leave for Namibia 13 Aug. I have waited 55 years to make this trip ever since getting a book on africa at age 12.

I want to thank the AR members for all the info posted her over these last years. We will be hunting with Vaughn Fulton due to the posts of many of you and especially one by Vaughn himself.

Vaughn said" we should remember that one cannot take away the experience of a hunt because the measurements were not up to scratch or the age was questionable as the animal has been killed and you cannot bring it back to life."

The words of a gentleman...as i have found the members here to be.

Again, thanks to all here who have helped fuel my excitment and imagination.

SFC E7 (retired)

Posts: 148 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have Fun and Shoot straight.

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
Good luck and have fun. You will have a great hunt.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Relax and enjoy. You'll be going back.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to you and your son, enjoy.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9377 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Have a great hunt, I can still remember the excitement prior to my first trip to Africa, and I must warn you that it will never leave you.

Remember to bring back some photos for us.

Regards
Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Good luck guys. have fun and enjoy

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a great trip. I am sure it won't be your last.

Posts: 41790 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please say hello to my good friend from June and Bob Clark.

Bob Clark

Posts: 330 | Location: Vanderhoof'British Columbia | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am happy that you will finally realize a 55 year old dream.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have the time of your LIVES!!!!

You folks will never be the same!!!clap

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
In 2004, I was the son that took his then-54-year old dad on a safari with Vaughan. Take it from us, you'll love the experience. It will be over way too quickly, leaving you scrambling for the means to return. It's a rare day that I don't dream of going on safari with my dad again. Of course, that dream's biggest competition are those that star my children, who I hope grow to cherish this outdoor lifestyle and take their old man on a dream hunt. Big Grin

Posts: 3293 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
You're about to have one of the greatest experiences of your life. Be sure to take good photography equipment and use it often. The memories you'll have with great photos will be priceless.

Aziz put it well when he said:
"I can still remember the excitement prior to my first trip to Africa, and I must warn you that it will never leave you."
He is so right, the memories you'll build will be with you always. ENJOY!

Posts: 3860 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is the good news,,, you are going to have the time of your life,,,,,,now for the bad,,,,, you will be addicted for the rest of your life,,,,, and that is the good news,, you will be going back!

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
SPF, The only thing I can say to you is too enjoy every minute of your time in Africa... There is nothing better then a father and son hunting to gether... I can speak from experience...

The best ,

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
have the time of your life,and enjoy yourselves

when you get the chance to look across the fire light at the man you raised as your son
take a moment and look again.....
there's the reward
the rest is "surroundings".....
best of luck to you and your son

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hope you enjoy your safari as much as my son and I did last year on ours. thumb
Jeff

No people in history have ever
survived who thought they could protect their freedom by making themselves
inoffensive to their enemies.

Posts: 1689 | Location: North MS U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
I'm envious. You will never forget your first safari.

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck and good hunting. You are going on an adventure, enjoy it.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, SFC (or, we would say, "Gunny"), I'm jealous! I was never able to get my Dad to go to Africa with me. He was a WWII carrier-based pilot (F6F Hellcat). After the war he swore he would never again fly over blue water . . . and he never did. We had many great hunts together, but at the very end one of the last things he told me was that he was sorry he hadn't gone to Africa. I'm sorry, too. You and your son will have the time of your lives, and I'm sure you will go again! Good hunting, Craig

Posts: 265 | Location: central california | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SFC,
Good luck and good hunting.

Craig,
Good to see you back on the Forum. There are many of us who missed your contributions.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 620 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From one SFC to another, I'm extremely envious! Congrats to both of you. I put my deposit down a year ago for Namibia (1st safari), but have to keep postponing due to deployments. I can't wait for the full report. Best of luck on an amazing experience, and take lots of pictures.

Posts: 182 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: 12 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
SFC and Mike O' (and Craig too),

Thank You for your service to our country. Many of us realize that it because of you all doing what you do for our military, that the rest of us are able to do what we do everday. You have my, and I'm sure, most other memebers gratitude. Thank you gentlemen!

Posts: 3860 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
You will be changed, both forever and for the better. Go, go again, go often. Memorize the sights and smells. Treat every African minute as if were your last. There is no grander place in this world. I've only been home 35 days and I miss her desperately. You will too. You'll see.

Good Hunting.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow your first trip and to have your son with you.
You are in for a real treat.

Good luck and good hunting!!!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have a great hunt together. Make sure he enjoys it more than you do, and it will be a dream of his to take you back later. Our hunts together have forged bonds which will never be broken.

My first trip in 2004 was by myself, and while enjoyable, it would have been better with my son. They were able to go the next year, but I could not accompany them, so I had to enjoy their photos and stories..

We are still trying to put the hunt together for us both, and we will get it done someday!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Good luck Chief. It took me 50 years to do my first hunt.

Ex MM-1(SS)

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12552 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I envy your going with your son, SFC. One of mine promised as a kid that he would take me hunting in Africa. He'd still like to go but, an engineering student, hasn't got any money. I've finally decided that, nudging 58, I can't wait any longer and am going to Mozambique in Early September. I'd love to be taking both boys with me but the budget wouldn't stretch that far.

All the best for your trip.
- Paul

Posts: 4980 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Have a great hunt and enjoy your time!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on making the trip. And a warning. I went over for the first time at 48 to "get it out of my system." I discovered that's not how it works. I wish I'd started younger.
Best of luck to you and your son.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
55 years is a long time to have to wait for anything. Congratulations and I know you and "jr" will enjoy it. What is your first name? I will research where your area is---my son and I are going to Namibia as well, but we're headed out Monday.

Good Luck-

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm having difficulty sitting still, far, far more anxious than waiting for the green light on my first jump!...all because our tickets arrived from Kathi!!!!!!!

11 days and counting...and yes, going with my son is the biggest thrill of all. He was military and now a police sergeant and a father could not be any prouder of their son than I am of him.

D@#* I sure hate the waiting, a guy can only pack and repack so many timesSmiler

Surely do appreciate your good wishes gentlemen,
Thank you,

Posts: 148 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HEY GUY,

You're just gonna have to grin and bear it!

First time is ALWAYS both the best and worst. I do remember it very fondly. So far I've been back twice since ... and it was different, but wonderful too.

When you've been through all the stuff and the packing is really done, watch the old "Under Wild Skies" episodes and study "The Perfect Shot."

Get some sleep and look forward to a wonderful time!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote