Notify
Tools

SCI
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I doubt this will work but here goes.

Question:
Do you support SCI today? No history please.

Choices:
Yes
No

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I think that SCI is the best thing we have going right now, but I would like to see it replaced by an organization that is more dedicated to upholding it's principles.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jbrown: I would encourage you to look at DSC, the website is www.biggame.org I promise you the board at DSC is committed to upholding it's principles. You can join at the website also.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2901 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I really have nothing against the DSC. I'm glad it exists but it's really more for the guys in Texas than the rest of us.

I will freely admit that SCI and the NRA have had and have some problems but, like it or not, at present they're the most influential in supporting the rights of shooters and hunters in the U.S.A. Also, it doesn't matter what organization is or becomes the most prominent; it will have problems to.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:

I will freely admit that SCI and the NRA have had and have some problems but, like it or not, at present they're the most influential in supporting the rights of shooters and hunters in the U.S.A.
... and worldwide ...

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
will freely admit that SCI and the NRA have had and have some problems but, like it or not, at present they're the most influential in supporting the rights of shooters and hunters in the U.S.A. Also, it doesn't matter what organization is or becomes the most prominent; it will have problems to.

Agree 100% with this.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been a member of SCI and DSC for many years, and plan to remain so. This years DSC convention was great, and they really showed their support for the members of Accurate Reloading. If you attended DSC this year, you know what it was like, DSC really went out of their way to show AR members a good time, and treated them as respected guests.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Isnt DSC off-topic???

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
Isnt DSC off-topic???

Maybe. OK, I continue to support SCI, but DSC is not just for Texas. Wink

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Isnt DSC off-topic???

Isn't the NRA?

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PSmith:
quote:
will freely admit that SCI and the NRA have had and have some problems but, like it or not, at present they're the most influential in supporting the rights of shooters and hunters in the U.S.A. Also, it doesn't matter what organization is or becomes the most prominent; it will have problems to.

Amen!
SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Member

Agree 100% with this.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billinthewild:
quote:
Originally posted by PSmith:
quote:

Amen!
SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Member

Agree 100% with this.

I agree 100% too. Complain to SCI and NRA if you see something smelly and get it out in the open so it can be addressed.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
quote:
Isnt DSC off-topic???

Isn't the NRA?
yep

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
The names of Safari Club International and the Dallas Safari Club, along with the numbers of their members here and around the world, say it all.

I hope this doesn't lead anyone to think I am taking a cheap shot at DSC, because I am not. We hunters need numbers in both groups and I wish it well.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will freely admit that SCI and the NRA have had and have some problems but, like it or not, at present they're the most influential in supporting the rights of shooters and hunters in the U.S.A. Also, it doesn't matter what organization is or becomes the most prominent; it will have problems to.

I can support that statement as well.

quote:
if you see something smelly and get it out in the open so it can be addressed.

This...was all I was doing in the other thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37820 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a member. I appreciate SCI mission and the efforts made to accomplish it. I do not like the way some of the membership are obsessed on "inches". This has infected the agents and the operators as well. Being promised a "gold medal" this or a 80" that is not what hunting is about. There is no point to this and I just don't get it.

Case in point - A couple of years ago, I went to Alaska to hunt Dall Sheep. Met a man on the way out that was after a 40" sheep. He was about 60 or 65 and after all of the sheep in the world. He had taken a couple of Russians whatevers early that year. He really wanted to add a Dall to his collection as he had put this one off hoping it would be easier. All he talked about was getting some ridiculous award at an SCI convention.

I will never be an active member as I really cannot stomach the type of hunter that is so focused on "inches".

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

My opinion based only on my observation is that world wide hunting would not be what it is today without SCI. I think the criticisms of the organization probably have merit and need to be addressed but I believe the good that SCI does for hunting far outweighs any reasons I've ever seen to not be a member.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An organization such as SCI will never be all good or all bad. Without a doubt, SCI has done a lot for world wide hunting. Also without a doubt, they have handled some things badly. Really badly. OOA in particular is unconscionable.

Until we have something better, I will continue to support them. I will also continue to be puzzled and pissed off at their handling of the OOA fiasco.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
I am a member. I appreciate SCI mission and the efforts made to accomplish it. I do not like the way some of the membership are obsessed on "inches". This has infected the agents and the operators as well. Being promised a "gold medal" this or a 80" that is not what hunting is about. There is no point to this and I just don't get it.

Case in point - A couple of years ago, I went to Alaska to hunt Dall Sheep. Met a man on the way out that was after a 40" sheep. He was about 60 or 65 and after all of the sheep in the world. He had taken a couple of Russians whatevers early that year. He really wanted to add a Dall to his collection as he had put this one off hoping it would be easier. All he talked about was getting some ridiculous award at an SCI convention.

I will never be an active member as I really cannot stomach the type of hunter that is so focused on "inches".

Totally agree Dogcat. One time Wendell and I were having lunch at camp and another PH stopped by to visit with his client in tow. We sat there watching baboons dig whatever out of the mud in the quickly evaporating pool when a bushbuck or something (can't remember) came out. The client said he had to shoot that thing so he could get his 14th order of grand spiral horned antelope award or something equally ridiculous.

Hunting is like sex. It is personal. It shouldn't be a competition. You are better off not bragging about your conquests. AND, with enough money, you can convince yourself that you are better than you really are.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
My opinion based only on my observation is that world wide hunting would not be what it is today without SCI. I think the criticisms of the organization probably have merit and need to be addressed but I believe the good that SCI does for hunting far outweighs any reasons I've ever seen to not be a member.

+1... as someone once said "it may not be the best organization but it is one of the best we got"!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
An organization such as SCI will never be all good or all bad. Without a doubt, SCI has done a lot for world wide hunting. Also without a doubt, they have handled some things badly. Really badly. OOA in particular is unconscionable.

Until we have something better, I will continue to support them. I will also continue to be puzzled and pissed off at their handling of the OOA fiasco.

tu2

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37820 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AAZ, interesting you said about hunting "It is personal." and then continue on chastizing another hunter for his quest. It is his quest not yours or mine.

Thanks to all who voted in the poll. I don't know if it proves anything but what the H*ll this place is just for fun. It is far from serious or earth shattering. It is only opinions and opinions are normaly worth what you pay for them, eh. Smiler

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kaizer
posted Hide Post
Dogcat,

You say you are a member, but will never be an active member because of the "inches" thing. Do you participate in your local SCI chapter, and do they focus on "inches"? In my experience most chapters are focused on local conservation projects, youth education, pro-hunter initiatives, and humanitarian efforts. If one is to make a true contribution it would be at the chapter level, regardless of what unsavory shenanigans may take place at the national level. Just wondering.

Dale

Posts: 92 | Location: Near Illinois-Wisconsin Border | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaizer:
Dogcat,

You say you are a member, but will never be an active member because of the "inches" thing. Do you participate in your local SCI chapter, and do they focus on "inches"? In my experience most chapters are focused on local conservation projects, youth education, pro-hunter initiatives, and humanitarian efforts. If one is to make a true contribution it would be at the chapter level, regardless of what unsavory shenanigans may take place at the national level. Just wondering.

Dale

I was a member of the local chapter and tried to renew a couple of years ago but was told that to be a chapter member I had also to be national member. The local chapter does great work but gets very little recognition at SCI from my observations. They are hardly ever even mentioned at the banquets, yet they do the lion share of the work. I do agree that all orgs. have problems. The problem with SCI is that they stuck their head in the sand when it came to OoA and no one could have any influence with them to solve the problem.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I spoke too soon history has arisen. This poll has nothing to do with OOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
The problem with SCI is that they stuck their head in the sand when it came to OoA and no one could have any influence with them to solve the problem.

465H&H

tu2

See DOJ, and others...

...I was not the only one!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The relationship between the local chapters and national org. are handled at regional and national meetings. One can be a ma
ember of the local chapter and not be involved in the chapter "management". Why is it with this org "SCI" many people think every decision should be put before the general membership?

I can not remember the last time a member of the local city council came to me and ask my opinion on a matter before council much less state or federal government.

Lane never thought you were the only one, just ask to put it behind you. Thus no history as we have all been to school and heard the lectures, eh. Smiler

I will step down from my soap box, never intended to go there. When will I learn?

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thus no history as we have all been to school and heard the lectures, eh.

There is a reason that they teach history in school. Wink

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
True Lane, but do we have to repeat the same grade time after time after time. Smiler

I always considered myself to be a quick study and believe most here are also with a few exceptions. Eeker

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
True Lane, but do we have to repeat the same grade time after time after time.

History is taught through-out the curriculum...heck, some folks even major in it.

It has been said...that history...is the only medium we have to see into the future! horse

Anyway...my point has been made...I am a member of SCI...will remain so...albeit...with a healthy dose of skepticism. Wink

Smiler Smiler Smiler

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Golly, I sure hope no one on here trys to "collect" different species every year....I hope states hunters just chase Elk and
White Tail and African hunters just chase Kudu and Buffalo.....

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As most know here, I support SCI today and will continue to do so well into the future.

FWIW - There is "NO SCI National" as some here continue to refer to as such. SCI is an "International" organization thus the name SCI (Safari Club International). The International headquarters is in Tucson,AZ, USA. Chapters are located throughout the US and the rest of the World all under the wing of SCI.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote