Find
Notify
Tools

GS CUSTOM BULLETS HV'S
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
HI,

I hear a lot of talk about certain bullets and how they are or how they work. I understand that a solid is suppose to penetrate and a SP is suppose to mush-room.I have look at GSCutom web site and understand the use of the FN's.I am having a problem understanding the HV's are they suppose to mushroom or penetrate.Do they act like a swifty or nosler? or are they better?. Would they work on tough game like a BUFF?I know they shoot flat so they can be used for plain game,would they also work for dangerous to?. I am just trying to get a better understanding of how they work and how that compares to other top of the line bullets?, Thanks,Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<J Snyman>
posted
I have worked up a 140gr HV HP load for my .303 Brit that I plan to try next month. The ones that I have recovered so far, after shooting them into sand at 100 and 200m have all mushroomed for about one third of their length.

Average velocity is 2765f/sec and you have to remove the dirt sticking to the recovered bullets before weighing them or the will weigh more than the weight you started off with.

<blazer>
posted
Kev I think if you would go back to the GS Customs site and go to the FAQ section on header then go to Expansion and Weight Retention segment you will get a pretty good explanation of the way the HV works. I know the soon to be dealer here in the states has been using the 60 gr. HV on some really big hogs in south Tex. He's using the 22-6mm at close to 4000 fps. and the bullets shoot clean through. Iv'e witnessed it along with a few other.