New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plains Game
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to head to Africa in late '15 or '16 for a plains game hunt. I don't want a high fenced hunt so SA is probably out of the questions. Which countries should I be looking at for quantity and quality of game?

Posts: 296 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 17 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Zambia.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rich-:
I want to head to Africa in late '15 or '16 for a plains game hunt. I don't want a high fenced hunt so SA is probably out of the questions. Which countries should I be looking at for quantity and quality of game?

I suggest you also add the word experience to the equation. Hunt your plains game in an area that also has dangerous game that is free ranging. Then you will fell like you are in Africa and not on a game farm.

I've had it both ways, there is no comparison.

My .02

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Some areas of Namibia are tough to beat. On this place we saw elephant spoor daily. Great people, great prices, great game. Our own Greg Brownlee books for them.

http://www.westfalenhuntnamibia.com/

one of us
posted Hide Post
select areas in Zim, or Namibia would be my choice.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've only been once, so not an expert. I would suggest you make a list of what experiences you would like to have and what three or four animals you would really like to hunt. In the long run, the experiences will be more important than the trophies. The lists might be pretty long at first, but you'll eventually decide that some are more important than others. Once you know what you want to experience, deciding where you want to go will be easy.
Planning is a lot of fun.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pieter Kriel
posted Hide Post
Also have a look at the operation John Hunt runs in Zimbabwe.

He and his wife Debbie make a living from hunting so they will take real good care of you.

Mkulu African Hunting Safaris
www.huntinginafricasafaris.com
hunt@huntinginafricasafaris.com

Posts: 210 | Location: Pretoria | Registered: 08 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also check out Crusader Safaris ( Andrew Pringle) in South Africa. He hunts huge tracts of land, no high fences at all, multiple PG species, all free range. Great references, look at my recent inquiry on this forum. I just booked my first hunt w/him at Dallas Safari Club. I've

hunted Zim(Bubye & Save), Moz., & Namibia, but always wanted to hunt RSA free-range.

One of Us
Picture of Flipper Dude
posted Hide Post
Had an excellent free range safari in KwaZulu Natal in 2009 with Trophy Safaris Africa. Numerous nyala daily, bushbuck, impala, warthog, kudu. They had taken a 60" + kudu just before we arrived. Pics on website. Also arranged sidetrip to Midlands Meander for the wife. 60,000 + acres - Free range. Highly recommended.

Posts: 262 | Location: Huffman, TX.  | Registered: 04 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recommendations for operations in Zim or Namibia? Personally, I am interested in any and all plains game.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to add my .02. Like the other poster said; decide what kind of experience you want.

You want an unfenced free range concession, OK good start.

Do you want to see dangerous game? Do you want big, big trophies?

Decide what your priorities are, and do some research.

For PG in Zim, Bubye conservancy might be for you.

I would concentrate on the experience rather than on trophy size.

Looked over what I wrote and it is pretty vague. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Posts: 267 | Location: Kingsville, Texas 78363 | Registered: 19 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pevtsovy:
I would like to add my .02. Like the other poster said; decide what kind of experience you want.

You want an unfenced free range concession, OK good start.

Do you want to see dangerous game? Do you want big, big trophies?

Decide what your priorities are, and do some research.

For PG in Zim, Bubye conservancy might be for you.

I would concentrate on the experience rather than on trophy size.

Looked over what I wrote and it is pretty vague. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Seeing dangerous game would be a big plus. Trophy size is important but not the deciding factor.

Experience is one of the primary factors for me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to see DG on a PG hunt, its gotta be Zim. Mokore Safaris, the Duckworths, in the Save are great. Plus you can hunt neat night critters with a shotgun & spotlight: genet, honey badger, civet, ant bear, mongoose, porcupine. Cool animals @ very reasonable trophy fees. Any of the Mokore PHs will make sure you have a great experience.

one of us
Picture of hamdeni
posted Hide Post
I too have booked with Mokore safaris for plains game. I'll be flying in on 21 May and hunt from 22nd to 31st of May and drive back to Harare on the 1st of June.

Hamdeni

quote:
Originally posted by joester:
If you want to see DG on a PG hunt, its gotta be Zim. Mokore Safaris, the Duckworths, in the Save are great. Plus you can hunt neat night critters with a shotgun & spotlight: genet, honey badger, civet, ant bear, mongoose, porcupine. Cool animals @ very reasonable trophy fees. Any of the Mokore PHs will make sure you have a great experience.

Posts: 1846 | Location: uae | Registered: 30 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Essentially all conservancies in Zim are fenced to some extent even though you won't see a fence due to the sheer size of the conservancies. The Save conservancy has the big 5 which takes a plainsgame hunt to a new level as you may be hunting plainsgame but constantly amongst dangerous game. Coutada 9 in Mozambique offers an exceptional plainsgame hunt that is truely unfenced wild Africa with a great variety of plainsgame to choose from. Mokore Safaris offers either area for a great plainsgame safari.

Posts: 229 | Location: Coutada 9 Mozambique | Registered: 27 December 2013Reply With Quote