THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: Firing impressions on different double rifles

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Firing impressions on different double rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Perry
While I do prefer a British double rifle, your Krieghoff had very good triggers and shot very well. Yours was the first 500/416 I have shot, and I must say I found the recoil quite a bit less than the 470's I have shot. Your 500/416 seemed a little faster, but not as much back push [if that makes sence] recoil wise than my 450 No2 to me. As I have had such good luck with 300gr bullets in my 450/400 I think you should try some 300 or 325gr bullets in your 500/416. A scope in QD mounts and 300 to 325gr bullets would make the 500/416 a 300yard rifle for sure.
One advantage to the Krieghoff system is that you can get different calibres fitted to the same action. A 7x65, 9,3x74R and 500/416 would be a hard trio to beat.
You could even add a set of 500 Nitro bbls for Jumbo, although the 500/416 would do the job without problem.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While at Camp Cooley with members of the Double Rifles Shooters Society I had the oppertunity to shoot several different double rifles.

Besides my 9,3 Chapuis I also fired a Merkel in 9,3. Both rifles handle well. The Merkel has partridge sights [I prefer a wide shallow V with a round bead front], it handled good. The Evans 400/360 shot good and handles like the fine British rifle it is. This rifle is a work of art, or I could say "just typically British"

I shot Aggie's 450/400 3 1/4" [Rays old Army & Navy, Micky had it before Ray]. Aggies rifle is just like my 400 and it is a fine rifle, probably the best all round doble rifle. I also shot PWN's Krieghoff 500/416. We were shooting about 40 to 45 yards and the two shots, one soft and one solid were almost touching. The rifle has excellent triggers. It also had the Break-O recoil reducer in the butt stock.

The Krieghoff cocking system is not a problem for me. This double begs for a scope. I then shot my 450 No2, so I compare the recoil with the other 2 big bores.

The 450/400 3 1/4" at @ 9 1/4 lbs was the softest shooter. The recoil of the 500/416 was heavier and faster, even thoough the rifle weighs more. It did not seem as heavy as two 470's I had previously shot. The recoil on my 450 No2 seemed heavier, but was not as "fast" as the 500/416.

Aggie and PWN375 both shot the 500/416 and the 450 No2.

They both told me that they thought the 450 No2 kicked more. While it is obivous you are shooting a powerful rifle I do not consider the recoil of any of these rifles to be painful. All are very "huntable".

Fine rifles all.... Still NO double rifle has felt as good to me as a British Rifle that fits you "proper".

One of the fellows on the hunt is looking for the British double that is perfect for him, which can take some time. I advised him [and offer the same advise to ya'll] to get a 9,3x74R [ with scope in QD mounts ] that he liked and begin shooting a double now. If you get a big bore double rifle first you will probably want a medium bore double before long anyway.

one of us
posted Hide Post
...good show and good post...

...did you have the opportunity to shoot any medium bore ou doubles?...if so, how would you compare to s-by-s doubles in terms of handling and recoil?...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
450#2

Nice post. That A/N is a beauty isn't it. I would second your recommendation to get a 9.3 while waiting to find that just right Brit Rifle, or rifles.

It would sure be nice if Leupold would make a few rail mounted scopes.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thomas
I have handled, but not shot, a few O/U double rifles from 30/06 to 458. I have shot an O/U shotgun quite a bit. I much prefer the S/S double rifle, and shotgun to the O/U.

one of us
posted Hide Post
ne450, no2,

...thanks for responding...

...i would tend to agree, and would add that an 11lb .470ne+ s-by-s double with 23" barrels seems to point, manoeuver, and handle just as well as - if not better than - a favourite english smoothbore s-by-s...

...tho, an 8lb 9.3x74r scoped euro-stock-styled o/u double with 23' barrels seems just about perfect for a medium-bore calibre, imho...

...regarding the testing of doubles, i note the growing interest in this area, and the proliferation of dgj-sponsored events permitting the viewing and testing of all makes of doubles...

...good 'doubling'...

one of us
posted Hide Post
You guys leave Aggie alone, if he ever scopes my old rifle, I'm coming after him and it won't be pretty

I love the way my new searcy PH model .470 shoots (one hole at 50 yds.) it points great, but its not as lean and mean as that little 450-400 was, I miss that little gun, but hey guys thats like comparing a 410 to a 12 ga., the 12 is a better game getter, but the 410? oh how sweet they are...but for my purpose I think the 470 is a more practical choice, darn it!

I guess ya can't have it both ways...

Posts: 41840 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hi ray,

...i know you don't like scopes, but if you had to provide an opinion, what would you recommend as a dg scope for a .416-class turnbolt (50-200 yard hunting chores)?...how about a 9.3-class double (75-250 yard hunting chores)?...

...appreciate your many years of experience...

one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post

As you know I was suprised by the weight and barrel length on your 450 #2 when I first examined it. Because it points and balances beautifully for me I thought it was lighter and shorter than you said. I did, however, think it had more "push" to the recoil than my 500/416 and felt the shots with your 500 grain loads a bit more in my cheeck than I thought I would considering the way the gun fit me. It was certainly accurate enough for head shots on buffalo out to at least 50 yards if that was ever necessary.

Mac's little 9.3X74 was a joy to handle and had no unpleasant recoil at all. I hope Mike didn't wear the darn thing out shooting at eland with it. To steal one of 450's lines-"I don't think Mike could have committed suicide in a phone booth with that rifle." It certainly hit black center both shots when I fired it during our range session.

Aggie's 400 was a joy to shoot and provided a very quick recovery for a second shot. Ray, I just can't explain how it managed to hit the eland 30 yards to the right of the one he was aiming at.

The english doubles just have a better balance and certainly better appearance than my Kreighoff, but for pure function and caliber for a client's gun I can't think of a better double to own. Also, because of a great deal I paid a bit more than half what a moderately priced english gun would cost and using it I managed to center punch an elend shoulder at a bit more than 80 yards with one barrel even after I missed a shot with the first barrel.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote