posted
hilbily

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Elmer Keith ?

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3543 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elmer Keith or his cone!

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
I like his "hat rack"

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Hell! He was there!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elmer Keith...big caliber and bullet weight over high-velocity. My kind of man!

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
...calibre?...looks like a 1-h; so 458wm?...

one of us
posted Hide Post
You have to be fairly young to not recognize old Elmer Keith arch nemesis of Jack O'Conner.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elmer Keith cigar and all!

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A rare shot of him without a hat.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
in all of the visits I made to his home, he never wore a hat indoors. It WAS in his left hand by time he opened the screen door though. Note the hatrack behind him.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Among his many other fine attributes, Mr. Keith was a great admirer of Westley Richards firearms.

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hope you guys enjoyed the pics tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BBH - How in the World are you? Thanks for posting some really great pics of Elmer and his collections.

BTW the .300 H&H is being readied for a Bull Elk hunt here in the New Mexico Unit I live in. First elk tag I have drawn in 5 or 6 years I guess?

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
You have to be fairly young to not recognize old Elmer Keith arch nemesis of Jack O'Conner.

Mark

+1

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Larry,I wish you all the luck in the world,i hope you get a big'en tu2
That 'ol 300H&H sure is a dandy, i'am glad its got a good home,its a sweetie shooter for sure tu2I sure miss it..You Take care & give us a hunt report when you get back home from the elk hills & glad you enjoyed the neat pics tu2Be safe & have fun tu2

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Thanks for these photos - and memories.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
That looks like the display in the Boise Cabelas.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Does anyone else remember how he described resetting his own broken nose with two pencils and some sticky tape in 'Hell I Was There'?

He must have been a really tough bugger!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
or the recovery of injuries from the boarding house fire,or knocking his hip out of joint lifting a wagon......
don't make em' like him anymore

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Thanks, those are great photos.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
I have never seen these pictures.Thank you very much for sharing.

Amazing what a man can achieve and accumulate if he sets the mind to it.

Best-
Locksley,R.

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 810 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:

You'd be right...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know you guys like seeing Biggame trophy's as much as i do,,,i found a pic to share of one of his Cape buff heads
& beautiful Rams..awsome stuff!
Did he help invent the 338win.mag.& 458win.mag?I discovered he had his own style of knife also,will try to post a pic of his blade style..no they don't make 'em like "Papa Keith" anymore forsure tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know you hunter's love a good blade much as i do..here's the "Keith style blade"...I want one hilbilySWWWEETTT..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Isn't there a magazine piece about Mr. Keith being on a commercial airliner when an on-board bomb exploded?
Dabney

one of us
posted Hide Post
I remember reading, "Hell I Was There ' ... and at the end of the book he mentioned that a person should tell a person if he enjoyed (been 30 years so I am a bit vague on the exact words) what a person had written ... you should tell them and not wait until they are dead. I agreed instantly and grabbed my telephone .. got his phone number from some operator and phoned Idaho to tell the fellow how much I did enjoy his writings and his latest book .. The lady that answered the phone said that Mrs. Keith had gone to visit her husband where ever he then was after that horrible stroke .. Damn. Frowner

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I'm using that same white pine to remodel my home/trophy room. Thanks for the pics BBH, I now know what I'm looking forward too and I like it.
Regards,
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scruffy:
I remember reading, "Hell I Was There ' ... and at the end of the book he mentioned that a person should tell a person if he enjoyed (been 30 years so I am a bit vague on the exact words) what a person had written ... you should tell them and not wait until they are dead. I agreed instantly and grabbed my telephone .. got his phone number from some operator and phoned Idaho to tell the fellow how much I did enjoy his writings and his latest book .. The lady that answered the phone said that Mrs. Keith had gone to visit her husband where ever he then was after that horrible stroke .. Damn. Frowner

I am still really, really regretting not sending a letter to Finn Aagaard telling how much his writing meant to me. I sure told myself that I would quite a few times.

I have had a few chances to speak to Craig Boddington a few times and I made sure to out of my way to tell him that it was his writing that sent me to Africa.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep, surely is. Interesting exhibit, too. It was set up there with the advice of gun writer John Taffin, plus the guns, mounts, office settings, etc., being loaned to Cabela's by Elmer Keith's son, who lives here in Boise.

Anyone visiting Boise should take a time to visit Cabela's and see the Elmer Keith Exhibit.

L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed the pics. Recognized Elmer right off! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blackbearhunter:
hilbily

I can honestly say "Hell, I was there!"

Who else on here can say that? Please step up.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I remember working at Intermounain Outdoors when a lot of that stuff was in there pretty cool to see all of it in one place now though, especially the guns.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
in all of the visits I made to his home, he never wore a hat indoors. It WAS in his left hand by time he opened the screen door though. Note the hatrack behind him.

Rich
DRSS
A convention lost on the young...

Lucky you to have those experiences...

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote