Notify
Tools

SCI awards edition magazine
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted
Not really bashing SCI per say.
Just thinking, What a waste of money, resources and chest thumping all in one sorry bag
Gimme a break gentlemen

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't even open mine.
Straight into file 13.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is disgusting.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Just thinking, What a waste of money, resources and chest thumping all in one sorry bag
Gimme a break gentlemen
I believe the award recipients fund the award program - not the general membership.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I enjoy the SCI mag, but the awards edition does not even get out of the plastic. Not why I hunt. However, I do not oppose anyone who is into that sort of stuff.

Posts: 259 | Location: Marietta, Georgia | Registered: 04 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glanced at it. Now in the can.

Posts: 285 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
quote:
Gimme a break gentlemen
I believe the award recipients fund the award program - not the general membership.

True but it makes us look bad.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
It is disgusting.

Agreed. Did not open it....

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Laughable, and that's putting it nicely.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It did have a good looking cover!

Posts: 46 | Location: Eastern Oklahoma | Registered: 12 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Still like SCI , just wish they put the money in this case to something more useful, especially in latest climate
I also understand, they do a lot for us

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.

“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The ME ME ME ME mentality of SCI will never change.

Sadly, they do not apply the same attention and dedication to actually doing something useful for us as hunters.

They really should change their motto to

FIRST FOR THE SELF GLORIFYING NON-HUNTERS!

It will fit right in with the image they are creating!

Unless every single nitwit running it from headquarters is given the boot!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Gimme a break gentlemen

Perhaps it does - but it has also been responsible for a lot of hunts and hunting taking place that wouldn't have otherwise. You wont hear too many outfitters complaining about their clients chasing these awards. Just saying...

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Gimme a break gentlemen

Perhaps it does - but it has also been responsible for a lot of hunts and hunting taking place that wouldn't have otherwise. You wont hear too many outfitters complaining about their clients chasing these awards. Just saying...

Dead right!

Especially the whole industry started specifically to cater for this sick sort of hunting.

I am talking about the PHs and outfitters who specialize in buying animals and transporting them to any required location so our "hunter" pops up and kill it just so he can get into one of those sorry CIRCLE SCI is so fond of!

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Gimme a break gentlemen

Dead right!

Especially the whole industry started specifically to cater for this sick sort of hunting.

I am talking about the PHs and outfitters who specialize in buying animals and transporting them to any required location so our "hunter" pops up and kill it just so he can get into one of those sorry CIRCLE SCI is so fond of!

What !!!!! I thought everyone is in hunting for the sake of conservation.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Gimme a break gentlemen

Actually , I have heard a lot of PH's complain about record book hunters.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Gimme a break gentlemen

I have never met a single PH who did not complain about record book idiots1

I could never call them hunters!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Gimme a break gentlemen

That is from a slightly different perspective though. I bet they dont knock back the clients who say they are looking for XYZ species to complete some silly award.

Do you accept Larry that a lot of hunting (hence conservation) takes place because of the SCI 'hunt the world' ideal?

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Lip service.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Lip service.

Or shows the quality of PHs I hunt with beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Gimme a break gentlemen

That is from a slightly different perspective though. I bet they dont knock back the clients who say they are looking for XYZ species to complete some silly award.

Do you accept Larry that a lot of hunting (hence conservation) takes place because of the SCI 'hunt the world' ideal?

It is entirely possible Matt. I have friends who want to take as many species as possible . Other do what they like. I fall in the latter category.

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gimme a break gentlemen

Go ahead and bash SCI. A whole glossy magazine not worth reading.

I just got my renewal notice for SCI membership yesterday. Guess where it went. In the trash.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I actually took about 15 minutes and flipped through it. If we want SCI to change we need a good understanding of what needs to change and the mentality that goes along with it.

It would be an interesting statistic to know the number of SCI members who have never self aggrandized themselves with an award expressed as a percentage of the overall membership. Express this as a percentage and they would see that it is not nearly as popular as they think.

That alone should help them with getting rid of this nauseating ego-centric crap.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
I actually took about 15 minutes and flipped through it. If we want SCI to change we need a good understanding of what needs to change and the mentality that goes along with it.

It would be an interesting statistic to know the number of SCI members who have never self aggrandized themselves with an award expressed as a percentage of the overall membership. Express this as a percentage and they would see that it is not nearly as popular as they think.

That alone should help them with getting rid of this nauseating ego-centric crap.

Jeff

Jeff,

You are talking from a normal hunter's perspective, not from SCI's management perspective.

These two are world apart.

SCI has been so blinded by their own self importance, they no longer see the reality of what hunting is.

If you don't believe me, just remember how long have normal members been complaining about this very thing.

Has anyone listened?

Never.

They need a total change of attitude, and that is not going to happen with the sort of people it attracts to the top.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Jeff

Jeff,

You are talking from a normal hunter's perspective, not from SCI's management perspective.

These two are world apart.

SCI has been so blinded by their own self importance, they no longer see the reality of what hunting is.

If you don't believe me, just remember how long have normal members been complaining about this very thing.

Has anyone listened?

Never.

They need a total change of attitude, and that is not going to happen with the sort of people it attracts to the top.

Saeed,

You may be correct. I often get myself into trouble applying logic and rational thought.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Jeff
SCI already knows that it isnt that popular. Doesn't mean they will stop it though - unless members (reps) vote to have it taken down or reduced.

quote:
quote:

It is entirely possible Matt. I have friends who want to take as many species as possible . Other do what they like. I fall in the latter category.
So do I Larry. But if other members want to partake at their own expense - they can have at it.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Lip service.

Bah, nonsense - they are complaining about generic 'record book idiots' behind their backs.

It's a bit like the captive bred lion thing... I have friends and clients who have shot one; to say they have done it, ticking-off a list, for bragging rights or whatever. No I wouldn't do it myself in ten lifetimes - but I sure wouldn't talk down to them or try to stop them doing it.

Saeed - I think you are rather selective in the activities that you condemn.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Lip service.

Bah, nonsense - they are complaining about generic 'record book idiots' behind their backs.

It's a bit like the captive bred lion thing... I have friends and clients who have shot one; to say they have done it, ticking-off a list, for bragging rights or whatever. No I wouldn't do it myself in ten lifetimes - but I sure wouldn't talk down to them or try to stop them doing it.

Please show me where I have been selective??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Lip service.

Please show me where I have been selective??
You say elsewhere that you don't care what hunters do, so long as it is legal.... but that tolerance doesn't extend to SCI members who want to give themselves these 'awards'.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt,

I applaud you for holding your ground.

If the SCI is going to have enough money to initiate significant conservation programs, lobby effectively for hunter rights with our governments, and file counter law suits against those who would take away our hunting rights, they need to raise money - and, lots of it!

It takes tons of money to pay high-dollar lawyers and lobbyists to work on our behalf.

The SCI awards program is another means of raising money from the members to pay for these activities.

Yes, the awards program plays on our vanity; but, we humans are vane creatures – and that includes the nay sayers posting here. Do the nay sayers have better ideas on how to raise money - I haven't heard them.

I say so what; it's not that big a deal, if someone enjoys getting an award.

We hunters spend most of our days defending our sport from those who vilify us as perverted sadists. In fact, it's a breath of fresh air to have an occasional award – something positive – for enjoying our hunting activities.

People constantly reward themselves for all sorts of other human activities - why not hunting.

AIU

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
To those of you who didn't open the magazine, why be a member at all? SCI does a few thing good, but the disdain they have for the general membership (who funds their chest thumping attitudes) is unpardonable. Dump the bastards and join DSC!
But, just my opinion.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with everything you are saying AIU. My problem with it is that the awards make us look bad.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
You say elsewhere that you don't care what hunters do, so long as it is legal.... but that tolerance doesn't extend to SCI members who want to give themselves these 'awards'.

quote:

While I agree 100% with Saeed on the SCI issues, the same intolerance is directed toward Mark Sullivan.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I agree with everything you are saying AIU. My problem with it is that the awards make us look bad.
It MIGHT make us look bad if other hunters crow enough about it till the anti's pick it up and run with it.

Like I say, it's like the RSA lions thing ... "canned hunting" was a term concocted and promoted by other hunters, hell bent on denigrating their fellows. Now the antis picked up on that division and are using it to their own ends, very successfully.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Gents:
To those of you who didn't open the magazine, why be a member at all? SCI does a few thing good, but the disdain they have for the general membership (who funds their chest thumping attitudes) is unpardonable. Dump the bastards and join DSC!
But, just my opinion.
Cal

I agree, and did so 5 years ago.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While not as "glitzy" as SCI as far as awards, doesn't DSC offer awards also? (rhetorical question)

Most of the circle thing has to do with collecting.

I don't have a problem with it. I also don't have a problem with the record book. Quite frankly, I think it serves to keep some operators honest, although SCI could do a better job of weeding out the dishonest folks about fair chase.

The awards issue openly says that the awards are the idea of McElroy as a way to get money for conservation while "having fun"... Now we can argue about how efficient SCI is and how it could be done better, but I honestly don't see what harm is in it in and of itself (as long as one gets rid of abuses) and as Matt says, it probably got many to attempt to hunt places they otherwise would not.

For me, until I went to SCI I had no idea of the number and variety of asian mountain game. Now, some day I would like to take a trip over there and hunt some of them. I dunno if that is a "positive" to SCI, but it seems to be a positive for me.

What I am trying to say is that in this fallen world, anything that man says or does can be corrupted somehow...It is human nature, as sad as it seems. While we need to try and clean up what we can, no one should expect perfection from humans.

Posts: 11033 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
It MIGHT make us look bad if other hunters crow enough about it till the anti's pick it up and run with it.

Like I say, it's like the RSA lions thing ... "canned hunting" was a term concocted and promoted by other hunters, hell bent on denigrating their fellows. Now the antis picked up on that division and are using it to their own ends, very successfully.

They have picked it up.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
My copy came today and I went through it out of curiosity and because of the firestorm that you all created. I have never entered any animal in the SCI awards program in 12 safaris and in my other hunting in North America and Mexico and likely never will. However, to some, that's their glory-and so be it. But to argue over it here on the internet will do nothing positive and will not change it. It's analogous to bible bashing, in my opinion. All it does is reinforce the antis and their agenda, and thus we are becoming and have become our own worst enemies. Sad deal folks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

They have picked it up.
Where mate? I have seen some very minor references to it but certainly nothing directly related to SCI in any serious media. Social media waffle is just as likely to be hunters themselves moaning... as we can see right here in this thread.

We have some of the same here in Australia - but it is mostly local hunters bitching about the opportunities that the 'rich' get.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
They all do a lots of good things for hunters, except sometimes they seem to loose sight of bigger picture.
I think, all organizations after they get a bit bigger for their britches, do that.
Bit of human nature where with money comes appetite. None of us are that much different
I wish, they would sometimes think a bit ahead of their actions for the team instead of selected few...

“ Hávamál”