New
Find
Notify
Tools

some of my favorite African hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Why do you like hunting baboons...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Why do I like hunting Baboons? That's a good question,

Here's 1 reason - - - - - -

I've taken 14 so far and I'm not even close to being done!!!!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Here's another reason *********************

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
And you can make friends with them!!!!!!!!!!!! beer

Widowmaker416

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Why do you like hunting baboons...

That's kind of like asking a cop why he likes arresting people. Smiler Smiler Smiler

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the opportunity arose to take one for a leopard bait I would but they just don't strike me as trophy animals. Of course I don't think a giraffe is a trophy either.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12926 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Daniel,

Cops arrest people because we have a duty to enforce the law...I equate hunting closere towards a leisure endeavor...if it is to personal question I apologize.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the funniest Trophy pix I've seen was at the Eastern Sports Show in Harrisburg PA. A vendor had a photo of a baboon leaning up against a tree, sunglasses, ballcap, rifle to hand and his foot resting on the forehead of a fellow in safari clothes who was lying on the ground. Big Grin

Rick R
Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most.

Posts: 162 | Location: On top of a mountain in WV | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Paladin,

I saw that same photo, yes it was a good one. Big Grin I don't think I saw it at Harriburg, I think it was in Reno, bewildered

Widowmaker416

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paladin:
One of the funniest Trophy pix I've seen was at the Eastern Sports Show in Harrisburg PA. A vendor had a photo of a baboon leaning up against a tree, sunglasses, ballcap, rifle to hand and his foot resting on the forehead of a fellow in safari clothes who was lying on the ground. Big Grin

This one (originally posted by Frank Martinez)?

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Thanks Charles!

I knew I saw it somewhere! and I didn't go to Harrisburg this year - - - - - -

Widowmaker416

one of us
posted Hide Post
classic--chris

Posts: 304 | Location: San Francisco, CA, USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, what does this picture make you want to do?

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Dan,

Puke!

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post

quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Dan,

Puke!

It makes me want to tighten the sling, look through the scope, slide the safety forward, ...

one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
By jove, I believe thats an AssClown. jump

Congressional power is like a toddler with a hammer. There is no limit to the damage that can be done before it is taken away from them.

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jump

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Perforator-- that's hilarious---chris

Posts: 304 | Location: San Francisco, CA, USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Perforator
I'm laffing so hard damn near crapped! That was so perfect, a Kodak moment if you like.
Ha ha thumb

Posts: 434 | Location: Wetcoast | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only shot one durring my trip to Zim. Next trip [2007] I plan on shooting several.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perforator:
By jove, I believe thats an AssClown. jump

Very funny jump, but you might awaken the dead. shame

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charles,

That's exactly the picture I saw a Harrisburg! My membry failed me, I thought he had on sunglasses and forgot the bino's. Oh well! so much for my veracity as a eye witness.

Thanks for posting that Smiler

Rick R
Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most.

Posts: 162 | Location: On top of a mountain in WV | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jump

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Can't shoot 'em. Remind me too much of a couple of my not too distant cousins. Wink
And don't make fun of me--because we all have those cousins. Big Grin

Besides, what do you do with 'em when they're dead--except take hilarious pictures?

And where do you put 'em? Hang 'em from the bathroom ceiling?

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13480 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would love to whop some Babboons one day !! beer

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to shoot them in the Sudan for the locals to eat. Some villages wanted them badly, some wouldn't take them because the "relative thing". Shot so many I ran low on ammo one year.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
roflmao

We need to start a "Hall of Fame" archive to save some of these posts for posterity.

I nominate 500grains picture and Perforator's reply as the first entry.

Elmo

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
Can't shoot 'em. Remind me too much of a couple of my not too distant cousins. Wink
And don't make fun of me--because we all have those cousins. Big Grin

Besides, what do you do with 'em when they're dead--except take hilarious pictures?

And where do you put 'em? Hang 'em from the bathroom ceiling?
Here's something you could do with one.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2009 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would shoot them everyday if I could.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't get permits to shoot criminals so I take it out on the baboons,when the raid the crops.

Wimpie

If only I had the eye sight off a baboon.

Posts: 166 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 14 September 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Mguu
posted Hide Post
My tracker foolin around in Tanzania...

Posts: 23 | Location: Tanzania-Germany | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We hunted in RSA last year, my sons shot nearly everything that walked or crawled except baboons. They hunted them every afternoon and had one shot. We are headed to Zim this year and I hope to put a serious dent in the baboon population - kind of like hunting rabbits in West Tx - just fun to do and a challenge.

My sons like hunting monkeys and baboons better than any of the horned critters. Go figure.

Posts: 10273 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote