New
Find
Notify
Tools

what to do with baboon
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Going to RSA in May. A baboon was part of the package, what the heck do you do with the thing?

Posts: 274 | Location: ga. | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shoot it! Big Grin They actually make great mounts. Those canines are impressive. If you dont want a should/pedestal type mount just get the skull bleached.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Just get the skull bleached, as Mike said.

And shoot as many as the landowner asks you to.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
Baboons are fun to shoot! My favorite trophies. Just picture them as "mini" mugabes, and go to town on them!

Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eat the critter! My tracker and skinner in Zim considered them quite a delicacy. The bleached skull makes a pretty nifty mount.

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks

Posts: 274 | Location: ga. | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
I'm sure your taxidermist will know this, but the import of baboons requires a permit from the CDC. No real problem, just can cause a delay if the permit isn't availbale when your shipment arrives.

I shot one in Tanzania and was going to have the skull mounted. The skull showed up, but no teeth. I guess the trackers needed them for muti.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Baboons!! Now your talking my lanugage! I've taken 14 baboons on 5 safari's! And I'm mounting all of them! And I plan to mount many more! They make a great mount! If you want some ideas drop me a line. And also, for sure same the shull! it looks great bleached out and sitting on top of your bed post! No just kidding, but the skull does make a neat trophy!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check this site out for skull mount ideas
www.skulltaxidermy.com have your baboon skull metilized! Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Definately bleach the skull. I am doing that if I ever get the chance at one.

You can also bronze the skull if so inclined. That looks great too.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Another idea! Make friends with the dam Baboon!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
I've yet to go to Africa to hunt (been, but not for hunting), but I have for some time been entertaining the thought of some day shooting three, and having them full mounted. They would be sitting in a row in the classic 'see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil' scene. Yeah, that's what I'd do!

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you shoot 10 you can set up a basketball diorama. Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"The chase is among the best of all national pastimes"

-Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Well you got me going on baboons!!
check out this one I shot last year, it has "Double Fangs!" The main ones were over 2 inches long! the second set were 1 1/2 inches long! I was told that's very rare to see that.

This skull is from the one in the photo, with all my friends.(a few posts ago)

Widowmaker416

one of us
posted Hide Post
We make road block biltong, as in Zambia we encounter numerous road blocks on the road.Each road block ask for meat so we just dish out baboon biltong telling them that it is antelope!!! Never had a complaint yet.
jump

Posts: 228 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 25 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Watch 'em though. They are tricky little buggers.

Taken by someone at the Dallas show. I apologize for not writting down their name but their plainsgame offerings were very reasonable. When I come accross their name in the literature I gathered I will post it.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
When hunting on ranches near the Kruger baboons are all over the place until you pull out a rifle. In areas where ranchers and hunters go after them, they are really clever and not so easy to take. In more remote, less hunted areas you will have a better chance.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
I like Kamo's idea!!

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Head Trauma:
Eat the critter! My tracker and skinner in Zim considered them quite a delicacy. The bleached skull makes a pretty nifty mount.

I would hesitate to eat them. I have eaten monkey in my younger more foolish days. I will say it was quite good. However with the cuurent diseases that are easily transmitted from primates to humans I will now pass on that one.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
beside shooting them babos are the most fun things to scare in the world. Few year ago we'd take pop bottle rockets and wait by a waterhole. when they'd come in to drink we let go of the rockets. never laughed so hard. also a slingshot works really good. if you get a group zing one with the slingshot and he'll go beat the shit out of the one next to him.

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trapntrav
posted Hide Post
that was good, thanks for the laugh!

Posts: 256 | Location: Fort Nelson, BC, Canada | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thumb ga6gunr,

Just one and part of the package? I hope you got a good rate cause woulda sworn I had alot more than one all the way to RSA on the plane with me and their bar manners aren't anything to write home about either!!!

All kidding aside, they are a hoot to hunt, you'll giggle yourself silly in whatever situation. At times they can be a challenge to collect a mature male specimen, especially if they have been hammered before. As stated prior if involved with a landowner who would like the poulation thinned - do him the favor! Especially the local Truck Farmers with crops of fruit, melons, citrus and various veggies.

Take photos, have the skull prepared (minimum) and astutely observe their behaviours when hunting and watching them - fasinating!

I genuinely hope you enjoy your trip to RSA.

Cheers,

Gerry

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mount him with a can of beer in the right hand and a smoke in the left.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ga sixgunner:
Going to RSA in May. A baboon was part of the package, what the heck do you do with the thing?

Here in the US of A we elect them to some high office.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I've always wanted baboon for my trophy room. I'd get him full body mounted in whatever pose makes you happiest. I thought one to sit on a stool at the bar would be nice. I also though having some mounted to look like they live at the home would be nice, like having hime sit on a book case, staring at another one of your trophies, etc. A guy in my club has one that holds the toilet paper for you. Enjoy them, they are a unique trophy.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Butchloc: YOu made my Gin N' tonic come out through my nose when I read your post. That was THE funniest anecdote I've read here on AR! So much so that along with my rifles, I'll surely take a slingshot now. Smiler jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
I like 1JDANIEL's idea. Set up a basketball diorama, then call it the NBA and sell tickets.... oh wait, someone's already had that idea

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
Here's what I did with mine. In short, I put him to work!! Whacky little Ba$tard!

BOWHUNR

NEVER BOOK A HUNT WITH JEFF BLAIR AT BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING!

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always eat them..they are very good bar b qued..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Full body mount, dressed in bright colored livery, holding a lantern. Put him to work out on the porch when having a party, to welcome your guest. Those with a sence of humor will come in those that do not will leave, this will insure a better time by all attending. thumb

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote