Find
Notify
Tools

Visit Our Photo Gallery
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Just thought of reminding those of you who are not aware of our Photo Gallery.

A number of interesting photos which you might find enjoyable to look at.

Photo Gallery

Posts: 67001 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post

"A veteran of many African safaris, this was my very first custom made rifle, built by my friend and hunting partner, Dwight Scott. It is based on the Remington 700, and chambered for the 270 Ackley Improved. It has a 24" barrel, and Leupold 4.5-14 scope installed."

http://www.accuratereloading.com/rc5.html

Hi Saeed

Can you please tell me which improvements you did to this rifle, basically concerning extractor and trigger jobs ...

Regards,
Mart�n

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Martin,

The rifle has a Jewel trigger, and Sako extractor. Never had any problems with the rifle whatsoever.

Posts: 67001 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTT

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Hi Saeed

Thank you for your reply

Being myself the owner of several Remington Custom Shop rifles, and inspite of hunting with them quite a lot without having any problem whatsoever, I have to admit that all the critics I have heard (or better say have read )of the remington extractor have made me to loose confidence in these rifles ... also, I believe these custom rifles ARE somewhat better than the standard ones ...

As I go hunting every "now and then" (not more than ten hunting trips per year, thats all I can get from my wife ) I am in doubt when thinking that perhaps I haven�t given my rifles the intensive use that might cause any malfunction ... So I am looking for a really emphiric opinion, and don�t know anybody with more hunting and smithing experience than you (in fact I doubt of the mere existance of sometbody more experienced )Big Grino you consider the Sako type extractor a "must" or just something to be done AFTER experienced any extraction problem (always speaking to improve the remington rifles)?

My primary concern are related to a .375 H&H and a .416 Rem Mag I intend to take with me in my first African Safari ( ) to take place in a so far away and distant 2006 ... but I want to be well prepared for it, and to take my rifles to their most and best improved state....

What would you recomend me to do? would you replace the remington extractor for a Sako type, nevertehless the originals ones had always worked properly ?? (I think how devote we are to Murphy �s theories will be a factor here )

On the other hand, I have heard that the necessary removing of the metal from the bolt, particularly a portion of the rim around the bolt face, would weaken the bolt in an unreccomendable way ... in fact I have heard that the sako type solves some problems as well as rising others ...

So here is all: pros and cons ... but nearly all from a theorical point of view ... what would YOU do ??

Best Regards,
Martin

one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
Is this Walterhogs go to rifle ?

Posts: 448 | Location: Lino Lakes, MN | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Afrikaander,

My apologies for not answering you earlier, I have been away for ten days.

Despite the fact that I have never had a Remington extractor failure, I personally would replace my own rifle's extractor with a Sako type one.

I don't think the removal of the metal from the bolt is going to affect the safety of it at all.

I used a Remington 700 in 375 H&H on my first safari in 1982. It was a standard factory rifle, with no modifications done to it at all.

I shot about 28 animals with it. Inculding an elephant and 2 buffalos, and never had any problems. I gave it to my PH, and as far as I know, he still uses it.

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Saeed

Mart�n