MS still holding on...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
quote:
Originally posted by maki:
Interestingly, I've been in contact, via another forum, with some one who has booked a hunt with directly with MS. .... and will bet that his first trip to Africa will not be what we all dream of.

We have had two or three past clients of MS speak up and none of them have had negative experiences or safaris that they have not enjoyed.

I take note of first hand experience before anything else, especially hearsay and third hand gossip.

Actually my concern isn't hunting with MS (not that I would) but that he'll be lost in a sea of grass. Some reputable agents don't book in the Selous in July because of it. I also know of one client who got a refund from his safari company because it was agreed he didn't have a realistic chance at a buff on his July hunt in the Selous. I'm not saying you shouldn't bother hunting in high grass, but if you might only get 1 or 2 chances to hunt a buff, why increase the odds of being disappointed?

I'd also have made sure a concession was specified before sending any money, especially in light of the rumours MS won't be asked back to K4.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Watch MS's videos with the sound off, they really are'nt bad that way, it's only listening to him that iretates you most.

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just to throw my opinion in the mix. I have known Mark and his family for over twenty years.
I have also talked to several people who have hunted with Mark. Firstly it, as many think it's not the money Mark is very well off and has been for years. Ego, maybe, partly.
Mark has always walked to the beat of a different drummer. If you talk to him watch his eyes, he gets the thousand yard stare of an old combat veteren when he talks about hunting. He's not with you any more.
Mark 100% believes what he says about letting the buff or hippo decide how they want to die. As unsettling as it may seem, to you or me, Mark
feels he is showing respect to the animal. He bestows a greater belief of noblity and courage to the animals he hunts than I or any I know thinks they really have. He does not believe in cruelity, any more than any hunter who lets dangerous game lie up, or a bow hunter, who wisely doesn't push after game just arrowed.
Mark states his opinions and goes about his way. I have never seen him do more than state his opinion and allow others make their own decisions. Unfortunatly to the unease of many he
gives DG the same decisions. Right or wrong, I don't know, but it seems none that I have met
who have hunted with him are complaining.

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
[quote]Never hunted with Mark sullivan, but I know someone who has and on more than one occassion. He speaks highly of the man, to the point that he says is the hardest working, most motivated PH he's hunted with. Matter of fact, he's even on two of Mark's videos.[quote]

I can't believe he made it off the cutting room floor. Dumping a Buffalo with one shot from a .300 Win Mag doesn't make for good video sales.

BOWHUNR

NEVER BOOK A HUNT WITH JEFF BLAIR AT BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING!

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What a lot of posters don't seem to grasp is that MS has 2 occupation with regards hunting;
1- Making DG videos
2- Guiding hunting safaris

These are very different IMO.

In the first instance, I believe he "self-finances" the "hunt" in order to produce a video depicting as many DG charges as possible. If he can throw in a "client" figure in the context of the video then he does. These clients know beforehand what they are getting into and what the rules are with regards him participating in the shooting.

In the 2nd instance, he guides a full paying client on a hunt - which he films - and if some or all of that hunt footage suits his DG video criteria, it will be part of the video. In this instance, the client shoots their game - such as in most of his earlier video, especially those on the lion hunting which HE DOES NOT shoot/wound, etc.

Not all his video footage is "corrupt" with poor ethics, etc. as for his commentary well, everyone is different and I have met many other PH's as well as clients who have just as much of an ego as he displays cheers

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Turn off the sound and enjoy his product. What is an interesting question to me is : How is it, after all this time, that on one in this small industry has even come close to the quality of videography and production that MS puts out?Gosh, in comparison the competitors product looks like a series of home movies. Any members know of JUST ONE that compares in quality?

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cunningham
posted Hide Post
Guys and Gals, Whether you like him or not MS is a GREAT promoter. He knows how to sell things and get them into your hands. He is making a living for himself. There are all sorts of folks out there today doing things just like him. Whether it be computers, rifles, scent blockers or binos its all the same.

No I would not hunt with him. No I don't agree with his tactics. Yes he's hunting for free. On and on it goes. I meet him at the NRA show in Houston, Texas in 2005. He's a likeable guy. Very easy to talk to and visit with. He's just trying to make a living.

It all boils down to one thing - WHERE ARE YOUR ETHICS AND WHERE IS THE LINE.

Global Sportsmen Outfitters, LLC
Bob Cunningham
404-802-2500

Posts: 580 | Location: I am neither for you or against you. I am completely the opposite. | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crane:
Turn off the sound and enjoy his product. What is an interesting question to me is : How is it, after all this time, that on one in this small industry has even come close to the quality of videography and production that MS puts out?Gosh, in comparison the competitors product looks like a series of home movies. Any members know of JUST ONE that compares in quality?

Sable Trail Productions, Marc Watts and videographer Kappie have better production values in many ways than MS's.

I do not wish to now turn to bashing them for getting shots of one-shot Zebra kills at over 500 yards with a .300 Jarrett, but rather concentrate on the many other positives I have found in those films. sofa

They are all doing it to make a buck, many bucks.

Except Saeed. He has enough bucks already, and IIRC he dropped an eland at over 500 yards with a .270 wildcat on one of his video clips in the archives.

When you're good, you're good.

Kids, don't try that at home until you are ready. Practice, practice, practice.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T:
I'm waiting for him to purposely wound a leopard, then wade in. Eeker
I didn't think so.

This pretty much says all that needs to be said.

Only some animals are allowed "to choose how they are to die in battle."

This is an old, old subject around here.

But even so, seldom can I manage, in good conscience, to refrain from condemning this man and his practices for what they are: unethical, ego-centric, ridiculous, pernicious and inimical to all that true dangerous game hunters should stand for and uphold.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
The Danish "Hunters Video" buffalo and elephant DVDs are excellent.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nitro- Where would I source those? thanks.

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Crane: here is their homepage:

http://www.huntersvideo.dk/index.php?lang=UK

I like their videos too, there isn't any unnecessary hassle or MS-style drama in them. Just real hunting and good quality production.

Posts: 217 | Location: Finland | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote