Find
Notify
Tools

Problems in Cameroon?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted
I can't be the only one who got the Safari Press email noting an attack on a safari camp in Cameroon. Apparently the operator will be able to get back up and running before the season opens next year, and thankfully no one was hurt.

Anyone hunt this year in Cameroon? Was there a perceived security problem?

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
You weren't. Many of us received the very same warning and report. Doesn't make you want to rush out and hunt Cameroon does it? IMHO there's too much of "safe" Africa left to worry about a risk like that.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
This happened a while back, and it was reported here on AR.

The follow up just released by Safari Press says some of the culprits were captured.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68613 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
This happened a while back, and it was reported here on AR.

The follow up just released by Safari Press says some of the culprits were captured.

This note is headed "New Attack" and indicates as you said that some of the culprits from the earlier attack have been captured but also that a new attack has taken place on a different camp, allegedly as revenge for the killing of a poacher.

As you say, perhaps it is all old news. I was curious if anyone has hunted there recently and felt a lack of security as this note indicates "the remoter areas of Cameroon are almost devoid of authority."

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So now the two rifle safari requires a .375 and an FN/FAL?

That certainly puts the "wild" back in Africa.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seems like another good reason to not wander around with an empty rifle.

Posts: 297 | Location: Bainbridge Island,WA | Registered: 07 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
For clarification, as I understand it no clients were in the camp at the time.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Why hunt in the Cameroon? Because you can't hunt Lord Derby Eland in Zim!

The story as reported.....

Earlier this year a safari camp in southern Cameroon was attacked by criminals and robbed. The robbery occurred at the Ngong Safaris camp, operated by Danish PH Borge Ladefoged, and netted several tens of thousands of Euros, (sources differ on the amount), which apparently had been brought in by clients as payment for daily rates and trophy fees. We have it from a reliable source in Cameroon that several people were apprehended in this case, but the main culprit, who was in jail in the capital of the South East Province, Yokadouma, “disappeared†from jail and has not been seen again.
The Ngong camp lies in the northern section of the South East Province of Cameroon. Just now we received word that the Lognia camp, belonging to Mayo Oldiri and situated much further south, has been attacked and much damage was done. This appears to be a case of revenge rather than robbery. Mayo Oldiri operates several hunting blocks in Cameroon both east and west of the Boumba River. Details are sketchy, but it appears that well-known Cameroonian PH Geoffroy de Gentile, who works with Mayo Oldiri, recently ran into a group of poachers and was forced to defend himself and his crew. In the ensuing fracas a poacher was allegedly killed, and again from what we can learn this was a case of pure self-defense.
Apparently the poachers hailed from the village of Socambo, which lies on the Cameroon/Congo border, and apparently several individuals from this village decided on revenge. In the attack, the Mayo Oldiri camp was severely damaged. Our reports state that the attackers “destroyed the camp,†which included three Land Cruisers and numerous wooden, thatched structures for guests, dining, and preparing trophies. Fortunately none of the Mayo Oldiri employees were wounded in this attack. Apparently the Land Cruisers were totally destroyed. There is much concern for the Mayo Oldiri staff as most of them hail from the nearby logging village of Kika, which operates a large sawmill. This sawmill is often not operating and hence unemployment fluctuates greatly in this area. Many of the people of Kika and their families are dependent upon safari operators for their livelihood. Since several of the employees from Kika served with Geoffrey in anti-poaching units, they are in fear of poacher retribution as well.
It should be noted that the remoter areas of the Cameroon are almost devoid of authority. The police often are unwilling or unable to act; worse, they are often in cahoots with poachers. Hence all safari operators in the South East Province need to do their own antipoaching work in order to maintain viable hunting blocks in which reasonable game populations can thrive.
Mayo Oldiri is owned by Spanish businessman Antonio Reguera. Currently Geoffroy de Gentile is safely in the Cameroon capital, Yaoundé, where he is awaiting proceedings related to the incident. No hunting seasons are open in Cameroon currently, so no safaris are affected. Mayo Odiri should have enough time to rebuild its camp before the rainforest hunting season gets under way in early 2008.
We hope to have more details next week, and if so will do a follow-up e-newsletter.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7557 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why hunt in the Cameroon? Because you can't hunt Lord Derby Eland in Zim!

clap clap

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It should be noted that the remoter areas of the Cameroon are almost devoid of authority. The police often are unwilling or unable to act; worse, they are often in cahoots with poachers

And this differs from the vast majority of the 3rd world how?

Posts: 297 | Location: Bainbridge Island,WA | Registered: 07 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Geoffroy is a very good friend of mine and he has the best anti-poaching operation there is. He,unlike most of the operations have the pygmies directly involved with anti-poaching and has caught a large number of poachers. I have been on several patrols with them and have chased but not caught several poachers. His year round patrols is the reason his area has tremendous animal populations.

Several years ago during the off season some robbers attached a small village and killed several people. Geoffroy and his team tracked them for over 24 hours and caught 3 and turned them in to authorities.

Honestly I am tremendously suprised that Lognia was attacked. I have spent 61 days hunting there and it was a paradise jealously guarded by Geoffroy and the pygmies. Geoffroy is the only ph that enabled the pygmies to have positions of authority and give them great pride in the camp and the operation.

Mike

Posts: 1878 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like one hell of a fine adventure.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Geoffroy is the only ph that enabled the pygmies to have positions of authority and give them great pride in the camp and the operation.

Could this be part of the problem? The pygmies are not real popular in the rest of Cameroon. That in combination with the effective patrols could have pissed a number of folks off.

Have to agree with jetdvr sounds like one hell of an adventure with a great PH. Hope this does not force him out, would love to get the chance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MLindsay:
Geoffroy is a very good friend of mine and he has the best anti-poaching operation there is. He,unlike most of the operations have the pygmies directly involved with anti-poaching and has caught a large number of poachers. I have been on several patrols with them and have chased but not caught several poachers. His year round patrols is the reason his area has tremendous animal populations.

Several years ago during the off season some robbers attached a small village and killed several people. Geoffroy and his team tracked them for over 24 hours and caught 3 and turned them in to authorities.

Honestly I am tremendously suprised that Lognia was attacked. I have spent 61 days hunting there and it was a paradise jealously guarded by Geoffroy and the pygmies. Geoffroy is the only ph that enabled the pygmies to have positions of authority and give them great pride in the camp and the operation.

Mike

Good on the bloke. thumb

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geoffroy must be happy to have had a 10mm as sidearm, it saved his life. He is one of the most quiet guy I ever met. His efficiency in getting poachers made him a lot of enemies and he lost everything in this event.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted the camp of Borge Ladegford that is mentioned. See the hunting page for details on my hunt. I'll never be able to afford Lord Derby, so I focused on Western Roan instaed.

Of all the trips I've made over there, it was my most enjoyable. A true hunt, not some sort of fancy game ranch or put and take operation. High grass savannahs, dense river brush, burned areas. A great place to Safari.

When I was there, they were just starting to get some problems with poachers. Most of them were coming over from Chad. And the local villages were beginning to put livestock on the hunting land, which is a big no no over there. Much as I hate to say it, the hunting areas in that part of Cameroon will probably end up like a lot of the rest of the continent and be over grazed by their skinny cattle. Really a shame.

If you want to make a trip over there, even if you can't afford Lord Derby Eland, go for it now. You can have a hell of a true plains game hunt for about the same as a game ranch hunt in RSA and see some of the last of the "Real Africa" before i is all gone.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes Edmond the 10 has come in handy several times!

Many people have asked why we both carry an assortment of equipment and weapons with us. Sometimes STUFF comes in handy.

Mike

Posts: 1878 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I will be hunting the new Lognia camp next June. Neither of us would consider a "cut and run" approach. If Geoffroy is there next season we are going. We support wildlife and those that actually protect it.

MLindsay:

I need to contact you about visas guns gear and transport. Maybe next week. I am up to my neck right now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geoffroy will be here in a few hours. I will keep you informed.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Geoffroy will be here in a few hours. I will keep you informed.

Thanks for following up. Hopefully this is not symptomatic of any particular problem but an isolated incident.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Does this company have a website? Personally, I find Cameroon, C.A.R., Congo, etc. to be pretty interesting places.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yukon, just google Mayo Oldiri. They have numerous camps throughout Cameroon.

One of Us
Picture of Bill 5248
posted Hide Post
Charles, I can confirm that Cameroon's neighbor CAR is also unstable. If you are thinking about Lord Derby eland and Bongo, then it is wise to read recent reports. I think you should plan to run into AK-47s when you are in the bush. Additionally, I observed severe deforestation by invading cattle farmers, poachers, refugees, nomads. The crisis has to do with unstable government, unpaid military, invasion by insurgents from surrounding countries (Chad, Sudan, DRC), drought and all the displaced people in the region. Thanks for asking for feedback. Bill

That which is not impossible is compulsory

Posts: 161 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geoffroy is now safe here, he is preparing a legal action for the case. He has lost everything, his firearms and trophies are in custody at the local gendarmerie there, we can only hope that they won't evaporate..
This is now a time to think of the future for him, I honestly don't see him doing something else than what he loves to do for a living.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Edmons -- thanks for the update. I am truly sorry to hear about his situation and I hope that he can work out something that allows him to continue to hunt.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Bill -- thanks for the CAR information. This really underscores that you should hunt when you can and where you can as you never know what places will be open and safe in the future should you put it off.

I hope that the region stabilizes and that the incidents in Cameroon are isolated and not indicative of a systemic problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charles, I spent some time with Geoffroy and friends this week end. Exposing publicly the situation now may lead to so many implications and consequences, expected or unexpected, that some difficult choices are to be made and the best thing to do right now is to remain silent.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I understand. Thanks for the information.

I hope for the best outcome for him after these difficult events.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Another email update came out which seems to be a bit more positive, at least for the hunting camp if not for the individuals involved.

posted Hide Post
Dear Sir
I thank you for your interest for these problems which it passed. I returned from Cameroon in the end of August 07 to arrive in France. I am Geoffroy de Gentile and I was Professional Hunter responsible the area of Lognia camp in rain forest. I am at your disposal to give you all information which you could need to understand this story.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Geoffroy, bienvenu au forum AR. Please let me know when you are next in the Rambouillet area. Edmond knows me well and I would be pleased to meet with you and Edmond at your convenience.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Geoffroy,

As Wink said, welcome to AR and thank you for posting. Without pressing you for personal details of the issues, do you feel that the security risk to hunters in Cameroon has increased in the last year?

one of us
posted Hide Post
One incident doesn't constitute a trend. Could have happened in the US, as well as damn near anywhere else.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Dear Charles
Thank you for your reception. The East of Cameroon is a place which I know well because I lived there during ten years. The events which we lived, Sibylle (my wife) and I are the consequences of an increase of the poaching and criminality in all the area of the East until Yokadouma and afterwards. Since the beginning of season 07 we noticed a great increase in the number of the weapons used by the poachers. I often prevented the responsible authorities but without results, the level of corruption in Cameroon east such as in fact the authorities send the poachers. For example, July 14 07 we catch several poachers including one with an AK 47. The possession of a weapon of war is a very serious crime in Cameron. Before we give him to the police, he threatened us of died and said to us that he would be soon free. Three days more tars he is "escaped prisoner"!! Fortunately, I had neutralized the weapon before returning it. I will be able, unfortunately, to tell you many stories like that. The camp of hunting of Borge (Ngong Safaris), you know it, was attacked in the beginning. My camp was completely stolen and destroyed. Nobody was catch by the police force and nothing was found. The criminals are not punished what give an increase in criminality and violence. I have several customers, American hunters, which can testify to the violence of the poachers. After what arrived to us, the populations will be very aggressive. The whites are less and less in safety and the criminals have supports by the populations. What I say to you is a catastrophe. It is the massive destruction of animals without possibility of doing something. East Cameroon became an area dangerous and uncontrolled by the authorities.
I am at your disposal, in spite of my bad English, for more information or pictures.
For the next hunting season in rain forest, I come back in CAR where I was 13 years ago.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Geoffroy,

It is wonderful to see you on Accurate Reloading. I am so sorry for your loss of Lognia. It was truly a forest paradise. I will always remember our wonderful times there and the many bongo.

To everyone reading this Geoffroy worked tremendously hard to protect his area of the forest. He enabled the baka to work at protecting their home and try and stop poaching. He without a doubt had the best trained and organized forest hunting operation to ever operate.

Talk to you soon Geoffroy,

Mike

one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Geoffroy

In my opinion, Your troubles have been to much aired everywhere, making the things worse. It's also the opinion of a couple of people of the ACP, I spoke with. Have You noticed that no french hunting magazines have told about.

Where in the CAR do You consider to guide?

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jean, I would like you to explain your statement. Do you believe the talk of what happened makes the poaching and the anti hunting worse?

I can assure you that the bush-meat poaching is very real in SE Cameroon and it is a problem that is not being controlled by the government. In addition the attack on Borge's camp was not addressed correctly.

Mike

posted Hide Post
If I speak about this problem, it is because I think that it is the duty of the PH to inform the hunters on what occurs. Sporting hunting should not be applied to the serious detriment of fauna. In the East of Cameroon, not only the hunters and more generally the whites are not any more in safety but in more the animals are massacred without any control. For more than ten years, I have worked hard for the anti-poaching with the Cameroon’s government. I often noted the absence of the government to be really wanted to protect the wild animals. It is the same thing for the organizations like the WWF of which the goal set only to collect money for him self. I deeply implied myself proving that we can obtain results. My zone was very rich and it for that that it is attracted so many poachers.
If a PH, witness of is massacred, does not have to say that there is a very significant problem, which will do it? I do not want to speak about my problems but about the problems of safety and about massacre of the large fauna of forest. The modern hunter must be implied in the protection and the conservation of fauna. The public opinion international must understand that the hunters are respectful conditions of hunting and cannot take part in a massacre.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Geoffroy -- thank you for the first-hand account of the problems you encountered. I am truly sorry to hear of the loss of wildlife after your successful efforts to improve your hunting area, and of course the loss of your hunting camp and possessions for which you worked so hard.

I wish you the greatest of success in the CAR.

J.B. -- if you feel this thread is creating problems on the ground in Cameroon please PM me and I will ask a moderator to remove it. I feel that current accurate information about hunting destinations is vital for the traveling hunter but it was never my intention to sensationalize the situation or cause additional troubles.

one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Charles

No problem at all.
Reading G de G's last post, and having been Emailed by Edmond and BilC, my opinion is shifting.
I was believing that it was not sensible to air a minor isolated fact. Geoffroy is pointing troubles at a wider scale that what I have believed.
I'd like these troubles are restricted in the south part of the Cameroon. No such facts are evoked in the middle-North part of the country where most of the hunts are conducted.
I wish this coming out will put more pressure on the Cameroonese gov so as he takes drastic measures....................????????
I wish Geoffroy a successful come back in the CAR.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote