Notify
Tools

Rifle cases
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted
Guys,

One of the most valuable and important single items you'll bring on your African safari are your rifles....... can you tell me which make of hard rifle case you chose for travelling on the commercial flight to Africa, why you opted for the design you did, approximate price you paid and how many trips it's lasted.

Thanks in advance.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve I use the Cabelas rifle case which in the latest catalog is $64.95. I would not use an expensive case as it is normally placed in the rack on the bakkie and as you drive around it will get holes rubbed in it so if it last a half dozen hunts get a new one but I would not use a nice leather one. I assumed you ment a soft case. For travel I would and do use the Tuffpac.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Ah, sorry, I should have mentioned I meant a hard case that you'd use on commercial airlines.

I'll amend my post now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

I use an Aussie brand called Fortress. They are custom made to your requirements. Mine is a 2 rifle side by side safari case, .080 aluminium, piano hinge and dual locking points. Cost was about $420AUS dollars.

I'm having a Cordura cover made for it this year for my trip to Nam'.

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I have 2 heavy duty rifle cases; both built like tanks. One is a Cabelas 4 rifle case. It doesn't have wheels so is a bit harder to move around than a wheeled cases but it is VERY tough.

The one I use for airline travel is a "Strong Case." It is also VERY tough and has detachable wheels which makes it much easier to drag around. The web site is:

http://www.strongcasebytnb.com/

I don't have a Tuff Pak but I've heard good things about them. At least on paper, they weigh about 10 lbs. less than either of the above cases. I've thought of getting one and still may but haven't yet since I've found it a bit hard to justify their $375 price tag when I already have 2 very serviceable cases.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I used a Pelican 2 rifle case because I had it on hand. It is very strong, although heavy. It does have wheels and a pressure release valve. I think it would survive being run over by a truck. With two scoped riflesI just made the 50 lb. weight limit going to RSA. I bought it from a friend for $100 but, I guess they're close to $180 retail.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also like the Strong case. It is vacuum-sealed when closed. Also, I'm on the small side and it opens and closes with ease. The clasps all have a push button that releases the vacuum. I carried my .300 and .375, both scoped, extra magazines for both, cleaning rod, some small misc. parts. I did the cut-out foam and thought it was perfect. I've taken it on two trips and been pleased.

Edit: I don't know why I said Strong. It is the Storm case. Reread the post and thought I was losing it.

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
quote:
OriginallThe one I use for airline travel is a "Strong Case." It is also VERY tough and has detachable wheels which makes it much easier to drag around. The web site is:

http://www.strongcasebytnb.com/

Where can you buy these?

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
I've got a double-rifle SKB case. I've had it a while, but I think I paid about $160 for it.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This one has worked perfectly for me on airlines to a variety of interesting international destinations, with rifles, for 30 yrs.
http://www.kalispelproshop.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=GC521404
Cheers,
Don

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

I have used both the SKB 2 gun hard case and the Tuff Pack case. Both have been to Africa 4 times. No Problems with either of them. I like the Tuff Pack when traveling alone. The other thing about the Tuff Pack I like is that I keep the gun in the soft case I will use for hunting.

Rhyde

Posts: 61 | Location: OH | Registered: 16 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kaizer
posted Hide Post
I use an ICC two rifle case with wheels. It holds two scoped rifles, it's made of heavy-duty .080 aluminum, the wheels make it a breeze to move around, and I'll wear out before it ever does. Have used other cases but this one's the winner. I prefer this over a Tuffpak for ease of use and protection. Yes, it looks like a rifle case, but by now everyone's figured out that a Tuffpak holds rifles, too.

Posts: 92 | Location: Near Illinois-Wisconsin Border | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tuff Pak for me on five trips to Africa and it's going again this May. Holds two scoped rifles in their soft cases a pair of boots, heavy jacket and whatever misc. gear to keep it just under the 50# mark. The Tuffy stays in camp and the rifles go along in their soft cases each day. Perfect combo for me. It's easy to pull through the AP's, is secure and rugged with no damage to date. It's around $400.00 USD now I believe.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hairbol
posted Hide Post
I use Hardigg Storm Cases. The rifle case is a 3300. My rifle case doesn't have the mileage on it that some of the more veteran hunters here have on theirs. However I use Storm for my luggage and it has 100's of thousands of miles on it from business travel and it is great! Latches are easier and more secure than Pelican. It is a bit lighter than Pelican and the polymer it's molded in does better over environmental extremes than others. It's what the military uses for special purpose weapons cases. The company I work for uses them and could have chosen anything on market or built a case. Dents in aluminum are permanent until beaten out and I've seen the results in burnished/abraded stock finish, the polymer cases spring back.

One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaizer:
I use an ICC two rifle case with wheels. It holds two scoped rifles, it's made of heavy-duty .080 aluminum, the wheels make it a breeze to move around, and I'll wear out before it ever does. Have used other cases but this one's the winner. I prefer this over a Tuffpak for ease of use and protection. Yes, it looks like a rifle case, but by now everyone's figured out that a Tuffpak holds rifles, too.

I've used the Cabela's version of the ICC heavy guage aluminum case for numerous cross country and Canadian trips without a problem. With the attached luggage shelf, it's easy to move both guns and gear. It runs about $220 USD.

Cabela's "Bullet Proof" Case

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I've got the SKB two gun case. Left out the divider foam, put in two rifles in their soft cases along with a change of clothes and some other gear. Haven't had any problems with the chinzy luggage style locks but the wheels are small plastic things that work but aren't the best design.

It's been to Africa once and flown in the US three or four times. On one occasion the luggage gorilla damaged the side handle. I called SKB and they sent me a new and improved one for free. I've never had anything move inside the case much less any damage.
I believe I paid around $120.00 for it in 2003.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wesley timmerman
posted Hide Post
I have used an older version of Tuffpak. It has been to Africa 4 times(will go again this year),Alaska and British Columbia combined for 8 times and will go to Alaska again May 08. It has never failed me and it has been truly tested.
Thanks
Wesley

Posts: 680 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where can you buy these?

Just call the number on the web site (referring to the Strong Case).

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Started with a Browning but it was HEAVY and before wheeled models. Changed to an SKB finally settled on a Cabelas .080 Aluminum with the mitred corners and wheels for 2 rifles. If you tailor the foam to the rifles carried I don't believe there is a better case. I have been very happy with it.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I most often use a TuffPac. Mine had done about 9 safaris and a dozen or so North American hunts. I take it and a carry on only and have plenty of room and no hassles about weight. I use a TSA lock while traveling (which I added, although the original lock is still inplace if needed).

My TuffPack is skuffed up some, but is functionally in perfect condition. I pad all around my rifles with clothes, etc. and have never had any damage. I use the insert (StuffSac?), and as Mims/Harry advertises, find it very easy to slip in and out for rifle inspections.

I also have a three of the Americase models, two of which came fitted to doubles I bought. Being compulsive, I bought another Americase (used) that holds two doubles and two scopes. I cut out closed cell foam and the guns are quite secure. To tote/conceal them, I have a Cabelas roller duffel in which any will fit in the bottom compartment. While baggage handlers have often figured out that the TuffPac is a gun case, the duffle has never been put with guns/skis, etc. upon arrival at a destination. Once, however, in RSA, SAA make me take out the Americacase and send it separately claiming that gun cases had to be detached. Anticipating such, I carry a fitted cordura sleave that already has ID tags on it, etc., and had no problem.

I really want to get a take-down TuffPac model. Two "mutton-leg" soft bags and a few clothes would fit in one perfectly.... but I take up a whole closet with the stuff I have now... and I need the big one when I take my 404's. Alas.

When bumping around in a safri car, I put my guns in cheap, but weatherproff soft cases, left upen for quick access, but which can be zipped up if it rains. I find that it keeps my guns from being rubbed up by the gun rack.

I once thought I'd be smart and bought a golf bag carrier and took it on safari. When I got into my tent, I noticed that the barrel of my gun was protruding from the bottom of the case. Nothing was broken, but that case got retired. Don't skimp, get value.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
steve, i use a tuffpak and I really have found it to be the best all around.it makes it easy to bring soft bags for your rifles and frees up some space in your carry on by putting binos etc and not worry about people going in the case.I resect everyones choice but for me this is the best. I have used 10 0r 12 different ones and in the old days weight was no problem the big 3 gun safari case was good but heavy.I do use the bag inside as it makes it simple for inspection.If you have a charter and need to leave it at the operators office you have your guns in soft bags and can easily prepare for a change aof areas without the big tuffpak.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted Hide Post
For you guys that use Tuffpack…..

Have the airlines ever had an issue with the ammo being in the same container as the rifle?

Matt V.

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going to hijack this thread, hijack
I got a question for those with tuffpac cases- how are you packing your doubles in the full size tuffpac?? I am taking a double with me in April and not sure if I want to pack it in a double hard case(disassembled gun hard case) and stuff it in the tuffpack or just assemble my double and place it in a soft case(then pack it in the tuffpak). What are you guys doing? Confused
sorry to hijack --but this somewhat on the topic. coffee

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not had trouble with the ammo in the same case. I have had to know more than the TSA agents at the airport and airlines. I usulally print off their regulations and carry them with me to the airport, just in case.

Rhyde

quote:
Originally posted by trophyhunter5000:
For you guys that use Tuffpack…..

Have the airlines ever had an issue with the ammo being in the same container as the rifle?

Matt V.

Posts: 61 | Location: OH | Registered: 16 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The TSA regs say that you may carry your ammo in the same case. What the airlines permits is another matter.
As to how you take your double in your Tuffpak.
You might want to take a look at the Boyt soft case GC214WC. That is what I take my double in except I use the GC2214WC which has room for two sets of bbls. because I have a matching set of .410 bbls. for my double. The model 214 is for bbl. in one section and receiver in the other. Then you have the pocket on the outside for whatever.
That is what you can use if you wish to carry broken down.
I doubt everyone othis site knows I am biased to Tuffpak as I am the largest dealer in the world for this case and use them in my travels.
When you see the maker of a $330,000.00 rifle put his rifle inside the newest Tuffpak you just delivered him in Reno at SCI it makes you feel good too.
There are no major manuf. of fine firearms today that do not travel to the various shows in Tuffpak cases and the same can be said for most of the optical companies. Many have multiple Tuffpaks.
Judge,
more and more folks are buying the model 1132 Takedown Tuffpak for the reasons you stated. It is in a tie for second place in sales however the model 1049 (the original) still outsells all of our models by a long shot.
There are many good cases out there today when it comes to just protection of your firearms. When you get down to what else you can take in the case, how much does the case itself weigh etc. then you thin the ranks of what is offered quickly.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello all,

Just one question JudgeG, or anyone else, how many rifles and how much clothing do you fir in a Tuffpak,

I have also been looking at cases and the combination makes sense to me as well

Walter Enslin
kwansafaris@mweb.co.za
DRSS- 500NE Sabatti
450 Rigby
416 Rigby

Posts: 512 | Location: South Africa, Mozambique, USA,  | Registered: 09 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve
I use a light weight aluminium case made in Germany and its great. Check out www.eisele-koffer.com

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve
I use a light weight aluminium case made in Germany and it does everything I want. Check out www.eisele-koffer.com

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tuff pak for me. I use the take down model when I take my double. The rifle, in an SKB take down softcase for 28" barrels, fits very nicely and allows other stuff to be packed around it. I use a Tuff pak original model as a second checked bag. I have some decoy golf decals on them both, no one looks at them twice. I have, however, had some awkward, evasive conversations when a golf fanatic wants to talk about golf. Both have survived numerous trips across the pond. As an aside, when traveling with my bolt guns, I take out the bolt and pack it in the Tuff pak. For some reason the TSA guys really like having the bolt out when it's time for them to check the rifle, I have been thanked more than once for this.

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick R:
I've got the SKB two gun case. Left out the divider foam, put in two rifles in their soft cases along with a change of clothes and some other gear...

I can't believe my dumb ass hasn't figured this one out. I've been putting my soft cases in my other luggage. homer I'll have to remember this for the future.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tried a lot of them and settled on the Tuff Pak, this one has been on probably 70 or 80 trips of which probably 40 or 50 were to Africa, and it looks like the day I bought it, short of nemourous light gouges and scratches...

I Pack my guns in a soft case within the Tuff Pak and then carefully pack boots, binocs, cartridge belts, bolts, etc in the bottom and line the outside top and bottom of the soft cases with jackets, sweaters etc., loosly packed...

When going through Customs all I have to do is pull the guns out about a foot and let them read the serial numbers and drop drop the gun back in, don't have to lay them out for the world to see. I also usually have the serial numbers on the bottom or the trigger or on the tang to simplify this procedure...

This has certainly worked very well for me.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I like aluminum or combination aluminum/composite.

I use Americase and Cabelas Bulletproof rifle cases.

They are expensive but worth the price. They are still as good as new after many trips.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of prairiewolf
posted Hide Post
I use a Pelican two rifle case with wheels. I took the center foam piece out and put my rifles in soft cases. Its made 1 trip to SA one 1 to Zim my rifles survived both. They are heavy though. Mine weighed 48lbs with a 375 model 70 Win and a Rem 700 in 300rum. The case cost $300 canadian.On the trip to SA my buddy had a aluminum case with his Sharps 50/90 in it and something went through the case and left a hole about an 1 1/2" across, a 1/2" over and it would have hit the stock.The rifle made it without a scratch but it was close.British Airways acknowledged the damage but didn't do anything about it.

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Posts: 144 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the last 2 trips they made me put ammo in my other checked bag not tuffpak. i took my manton 470 double and just put in a soft bag assembled. never had a problem. i use the africase soft bag for my double it is very well padded

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Masterifleman:
I used a Pelican 2 rifle case because I had it on hand. It is very strong, although heavy. It does have wheels and a pressure release valve. I think it would survive being run over by a truck. With two scoped riflesI just made the 50 lb. weight limit going to RSA. I bought it from a friend for $100 but, I guess they're close to $180 retail.

I use the same case and it has been to the dark continent twice along with other domestic flights. While the outside has scuff marks, it is still 100%. These units are 5 checkers! thumb

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve - I am also a Strong case user although I have seen the others (Tuffpak, Cabelas etc) that fellow AR posters use and I am sure they do a fine job also. The Strong two rifle case that I have weighs 27 lbs and has removeable wheels for getting around airports.

Posts: 71 | Location: St. Michaels, Maryland | Registered: 26 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
I use a Hardigg Storm case model 3300. I carried only one rifle in it, plus accessories. It could easily be modified to hold two rifles.

I chose it because of the latching system, and the large wheels. It was also marginally lighter than comparable cases. I purchased it through a local distributor for $369Cdn.

Regardless of what case you use, there is no cheerier sight in the world than to climb off your plane after 36 hours of travel, and see your case waiting for you in the baggage area!

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Hardigg Storm Case, IM3300. I did my research on this site as well as others and decided to get this model. It was between this and the Tuffpak. It appears that the Tuffpak is a sturdy case, with a solid exterior. The other selling point with the Tuffpak was that you could pack other gear in the case. In most cases this is what most people used to pad their rifle(s) and keep them from moving in the case. This is what turned me off on the Tuffpak. Clothes, boots and other misc. items are not ment to be padding for a rifle. They have their uses and protecting a rifle is not one. That's why I went with a case with customizable foam. By cutting the foam to fit you rifle exactly the hozizontial and verticle movement of the rifle if minimized when dropped or mis-handled.

NRA
CRPA
DRSS

Posts: 598 | Location: Texas/CA | Registered: 18 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We use americase; have one with wheels and one without. For use in the hunting vehicle we use the leather slips that Murray Custom Leather makes.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hardigg Storm for me. I still have a tuffpack that I bought a long time ago, but with airline security now able to take your rifles out of the case and put them back again without you being present, all the careful packing in the world is not going to matter. Plus, the speciality foam Hardigg uses seems to me to be a lot better protection than underwear and socks.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote