Find
Notify
Tools

BOGUS NATIONAL PARK HUNT/ZIMBABWE
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of martin pieters
posted
Been receiving emails about a possible bogus hunt in Hwange National park, please be advised as to date there are NO ration/management/control hunts in the Zimbabwe national parks, please be warned:

Hunts are being offered by: Allison Smith, alsafari@yoafrica.com
PH in question: Lorrie Van Aasvagen
Area: Sinamatella camp, Hwange

Regards

Martin Pieters
Chairman ZPHGA

martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

" hunt as if it's your last one you'll ever be on"

Posts: 639 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Thanks Martin.

I think this also puts to rest another claim from another outfitter being discussed on the forums as being untrue.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Martin, nice article in the February "African Outfitter." Cool

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting that the outfitter Saeed refers to is now totally silent.

The scary thing is that i think these kind of hunts are going on . Legal or not. A mass e mail went around this area a year or so ago offering this type of hunt. I replied to all and questioned it as I knew it was not legal. Two people I know came to the rescue of the outfitter from the RSA who was hunting in Hwange. Said they had been and all was good. Scary.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Again a South African relatively unheard of company, hunting in Zimbabwe offering questionable hunts. Is this because the Zim partner is someone to be avoided and the Zim PH's and outfitters know this?

Posts: 402 | Location: Tennessee, North Carolina | Registered: 01 April 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jssafari
posted Hide Post
These illegal hunts are still going on as we speak. Mostly it is unscrupulous South African operators (but also some Zim PH's) who are mostly working through the "untouchable" govt ministers. The vast majority of these ministers are on the U.S. banned list.

What U.S clients need to realise is that they can be prosecuted in the USA for dealing with these people - the fine is up to $500,000 under Bush's Executive Order! Any trophies from hunts such as these will be confiscated by the USFWS - this will not form a part of the fine!

These perpetrators, clients and operators, will be tracked down and booked - rest assured!

Posts: 17 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 08 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alan Bunn
posted Hide Post
John,

Send me their names. I am not afraid to post the names and contact details of anyone and everyone involved.

Plus, I will send it out on Facebook and Twitter to my 6000 friends and followers with a request for them to send it to all their friends. I have many prominent outdoor media members on that list.

Remember, you can't un-ring a bell. And, the cockroaches of deceit have never been able to stand the spotlight of truth.

Cheers,

~ Alan

Life Member NRA
Life Member SCI

email: editorusa(@)africanxmag(dot)com

African Expedition Magazine: http://www.africanxmag.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/alan.p.bunn

Twitter: http://twitter.com/EditorUSA

Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. ~Keller

To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; to be credible we must be truthful. ~ Murrow

Posts: 1112 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.zimbabwesituation.com/feb7_2011.html

Click on ZCTF Report February (15th one on the list). One section of the report concerns the hunting in Hwange.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Martin,

Your input here is most valuable. Please keep it up.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
As with any crime...until serious penalties are upheld this type of behavior will continue, sadly.
Or maybe the antbear holes just need to be filled up when these guys get caught...
Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did not a similar thing happen in MOZ last year???
PAC hunts being advertized by a South African when they were illegal...

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alan Bunn
posted Hide Post
Here is the text from the latest Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force report. It can be viewed at the zimsituation.com link that Kathi posted above.

There is some discrepancy in the spelling of the South African's name. It isn't clear if he is Lorrie Van Aasvagen or Lawrence van Aswegan, but whatever his name is, he is in cahoots with Allison Smith in conducting elephant hunts inside Hwange National Park.

HUNTING IN HWANGE NATIONAL PARK

We have received a report that 5 elephants and 3 buffalo were shot by sports hunters at Main Camp in Hwange National Park during the last week of January this year.

Lawrence van Aswegan and Allison Smith, safari operators believed to be based in South Africa have been offering hunts of Non Trophy Elephants INSIDE Hwange National Park. They claim that Parks and Wildlife Management are selling these hunts as part of a culling programme in order to raise money for parks.

It has also been reported that only female elephants are to be targeted which makes matters even worse because many of the females have calves. The females move in family groups as opposed to the males which very often wander around alone. To target females means destroying family units and leaving orphaned babies behind. This is extremely traumatic for the families of the elephants shot and there have been numerous instances of elephants traumatized in this way, attacking humans. We have emailed National Parks to try and get confirmation of this but we have not received a reply.

National Parks claim that Zimbabwe is over populated with elephant, citing the numbers at around 100 000. If there are so many, we can't help wondering why it is necessary to shoot elephant inside a protected national park.

Cheers,

~ Alan

Life Member NRA
Life Member SCI

Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. ~Keller

To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; to be credible we must be truthful. ~ Murrow

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I in no way condone any hunting in NPs that is not completely legal and above board I am surprised surprised at the Task Force's lack of knowledge about basic elephant biology and hunting laws in Zimbabwe. First of all it is completely illegal to shoot any cow that has a dependent calf at her side. Second of all if your elephant population is over carrying capacity in the park it is useless to shoot cows outside the park unless their is a migration out of the Park to the hunting area. The task forces position appears to be one of the anti-hunting stances.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I find it amazing that a few South African crooks and their antics will probably spell the end of hunting in Africa.

The legitimate operators in Zimbabwe have very little voice, and the likes of us have no influence at all.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A phone call today with the chief ecologist confirmed that NO ration/management quota has been issue for 2011. They are still in deliberation at this point, as soon as we know of national park's plans as to the off take, I will make a public and legitimate post

Regards

martin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I met with Lorry Van Aasvagen today and he admitted being offered 'cull' elephant inside Hwange, but to date, has seen no permits and has not conducted a safari inside the park, we will closely monitor the situation

Martin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ZCTF and Johnny are notoriously anti-hunting. Be warned when quoting him!!

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alan Bunn
posted Hide Post
quote:
We have received a report that 5 elephants and 3 buffalo were shot by sports hunters at Main Camp in Hwange National Park during the last week of January this year.

Whether he is anti-hunting is not the point.

The point is whether or not the above statement is true.

Cheers,

~ Alan

Life Member NRA
Life Member SCI

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Alan,

I think what is true is that no one has any idea what is happening in Zimbabwe today.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fairgame, I feel that that statement is uncalled for, we have gone through 12 years of hell and still we survive, under the current situation we can still hold our heads up and do our best.

one of us
Picture of crl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Alan,

I think what is true is that no one has any idea what is happening in Zimbabwe today.

We have a winner.

The average man's love of liberty is nine-tenths imaginary. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty; and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies.

Posts: 379 | Location: MN | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by martin pieters:
Fairgame, I feel that that statement is uncalled for, we have gone through 12 years of hell and still we survive, under the current situation we can still hold our heads up and do our best.

Not denying that mate and remember that Zambia was hung out to dry for some years. The rot has set in. There are outfitters and PH's you have never heard of and so called new concessions, and now hunting in your parks etc?

Do not worry too much as it has embraced Zambia and the likes of you and I are simply powerless to do anything about it.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
As long as hunters are willing to trade legalities to save a dollar these problems will continue. On another forum I brought up the fact that outfitters were running ads to hunt in Zim and were not registered and there PHs were not licensed in Zimbabwe. Through PMs people that hunted with unlicensed PHs told me how great they were. No regard for the law. One even had the nerve to say he hunted in a national park.

With the internet it takes about 15 minutes to see if somebody is legitimate.

My hat is off to the legal Zim operators like Martin, Buzz, the Duckworths, RossJ, and many others. Without these guys Zim would be a wasteland.

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Mike,

After all the negative publicity Zim hunting receives, it is refreshing to see the good guys being acknowledged. The legit guys who still try and do things as they should be done. Hats off to those chaps. Add Roger Whittall, Zambezi Hunters, Watson/Walker to the list. At the end of the day, the future of Zimbabwean wildlife and hunting is dependent on their resilience.
tu2
David

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Hulme:
Mike,

After all the negative publicity Zim hunting receives, it is refreshing to see the good guys being acknowledged. The legit guys who still try and do things as they should be done. Hats off to those chaps. Add Roger Whittall, Zambezi Hunters, Watson/Walker to the list. At the end of the day, the future of Zimbabwean wildlife and hunting is dependent on their resilience.
tu2
David

And the rest of the brave.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
Lorry? Van? Arsewagon? Someone's having a laugh here.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
Yes, here is the thread posted right here on AR:

Ele Hunts

The outfitter has not responded to questions, and has not responded to his claims of dealing with laws in Zimbabwe when it was Rhodesia, even though he appears to be a reltively young man.

It is a smart strategy, sell some hunts, make a few friends, and when the stuff hits the fan, go slient for a while, and then come back posting more hunts.

I think anyone who deals with this outfitter or the PHs he books for is asking for trouble.

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
404J:

A couple of points need to be clarified, IMO, regarding your post.

First: LDK is not an outfitter he is a booking agent.

Second: He was offering a hunt in Binga not Hwange.

Finally: He did mention earlier that he would be at the NWTF convention this week and weekend and have limited access to email, etc.

I am not defending his offering nor his hunting and booking claims. In fact, I raised them on the original hunt offering thread. I am suspicious of the offering for multiple reasons already discussed.

Regards,

RCG

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
Thanks RCG for the good points

I didn't make a clear distinction between an outfitter and a booking agent

I will edit my post to take out the "silent" note, which isn't fair- I did not notice the mention of his absence

And last- I painted Zim and PAC/management/cull hunts with one brush.

Thanks-

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
I thought I could go back and edit my post- I guess I can't- I basically retract most of it in fairness for the poster to respond when he gets back on the board- and the response may end up being 100% spot on, in which case I am dead wrong.

Thanks

Josie Wales 1866

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alan - You have 6000 friends? I must say I am impressed if that is indeed the case. Roll Eyes
Prominent outdoor media members as well. Double impressed. lol

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Bunn:
John,

Send me their names. I am not afraid to post the names and contact details of anyone and everyone involved.

Plus, I will send it out on Facebook and Twitter to my 6000 friends and followers with a request for them to send it to all their friends. I have many prominent outdoor media members on that list.

Remember, you can't un-ring a bell. And, the cockroaches of deceit have never been able to stand the spotlight of truth.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote