New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: .300 weatherby mag loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
With the two listed loads, I have take black bear, caribou, moose, mule deer, and elk in North America, and also wildebeest, kudu, blesbuck, and gemsbok in Africa. The .300 Weatherby is more gun than needed for mule deer, but on a combination hunt for elk and mule deer it works well. In South Africa, I used the .416 rem. mag. for eland because my PH wanted me to gain some confidence in it. I am convinced the .300 Weatherby would have done just fine. I would not recommend it for Cape buffalo.

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
just chasing thoughts from anyone who has loaded partition golds in 300 weatherby. what was the load and how did it kill on what game? i seem to be the only bloke i know using them on everything from roos to hogs to buffalo and i love em but does anyone else?

Posts: 27 | Location: brisbane australia | Registered: 04 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for that load mate i will give it a try i have a couple of good loads myself it just seems im the only person to have a good run with the golds. what were you using the load listed on and how big a game do you use the 300 on

Posts: 27 | Location: brisbane australia | Registered: 04 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use regular partitions, 180 grains. I use H4831 powder because IMR7828 does not appear to give any advantage in my rifle and the Hodgdon powders give the same pressure regardless of temperature changes. I use Federal 215 magnum primers. I use the Sierra and Hornady handbooks and see no reason to exceed their maximum loads.

H4831SC is supposed to be identical to H4831 except for feeding better through the powder measure. However, I have found it feeds no better through mine. I have to weigh and top off each charge with either.

I have not recovered any bullets, as they shoot through even large bull elk (about 800 pounds) from side to side. They make large exit holes.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
If you want to duplicate Weatherby factory specs ( or close to it) use Norma MRP. It works great with Hornady and Nosler Partitons as these were the only two loads originally offered by Weatherby. Use 80.1gr of MRP, Fed 215 primers and Weatherby/norma brass. jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote