Find
Notify
Tools

Ever heard of a GECO Mauser?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted
I also posted this question in the gunsmithing forum but I realize there is a lot of knowledge in this forum regarding European rifles. I hope I am not offending anyone asking my question here also.

I am looking at purchasing a Mauser that has been made up into a pretty neat rifle. But the action is a "Geco" I havent been able to learn much about them except that they made some very nice German 22 trainers. Any info would be a big help.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gustav Genschow, a gunsmith in Berlin around 1930

Posts: 363 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: 20 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
between the war's you find mauser action hunting gun's from allmost every gunmaker in germany. they buy the action's from mauser or had have old action's from ww 1 on stoke. I remember an old 8x60S rifle from Geco.

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know anything about their quality and workmanship? The one I am looking at is built on an early k98 action and has a lot of very nice high end extras on it. And it sounds like a very neat rifle to add to my collection.

Here is a description of the rifle:
Model 98 Mauser made by GECO in 8x57mm. I believe this one is a J bore, has a 23.5" octagon to round barrel with full length rib. Rib and ramp front sight as engraved with a wavey pattern. Top of receiver ring is also engraved with a similar pattern and some light engraving on the bridge. No drilled or tapped for scope, has one standing and one flip up blade rear and ramp front sight that takes removable blades. Stock is a military stock very nicely sporterized with a small right hand cheek piece and black Pachmayr recoil pad. Bore is excellent. Pictures available upon request.

I am waiting for the pics of it to arrive so I can get a better idea of the rifle. If Geco has a reputation of high quality I will probably pickit up.

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Make sure it is a J bore before you shoot it !!!

Posts: 363 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: 20 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I had definately planned on slugging the barrel to determine bore size. It should be a fun shooter if I get it. I will post the pics when I get them.