Notify
Tools

American PH
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
This topic or more the subject is on par with asking:

"If you were hunting in Alaska, would you prefer to have an American or Alaskan hunting guide to a South African PH?"

Really explains the rationale behind the argument.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
Well gee John. Since you disapprove of the topic, I am sure glad I didn't post it over on your forum.
Here is a bit more rational for you...if you do not approve of the topic, stop posting on the thread.
I found the topic interesting and apparently so did 1,000+ other members, based on the total views.
Have a goodday mate.
Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
There is another renowned American PH in Namibia named Steve Tors that enjoys a sterling reputation. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I pick my PH by how much experience he has in hunting elephant. Since I want to learn as much as possible about the ins and outs of elephant hunting, experience with elephant is of major importance. I really don't care where he is from, what color he is, what his sexual orientation is or if he is a "he" in fact.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mustbhuntn
posted Hide Post
As long as the man (or woman) is qualified and does a good job, I don't care where they were born. Anyone can learn an area, the language, and the local customs if they spend enough time and effort in that area.

Posts: 322 | Location: Green Forest, Arkansas | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allout:
Well gee John. Since you disapprove of the topic, I am sure glad I didn't post it over on your forum.
Here is a bit more rational for you...if you do not approve of the topic, stop posting on the thread.
I found the topic interesting and apparently so did 1,000+ other members, based on the total views.
Have a goodday mate.
Brian

Someone got out of bed on the wrongside this morning or is at the wrong time of the month!

All I have said above is asking the question

"Would you have any issues in being paired with an American PH while on safari in Africa?"

is on par with

"Would you have any issues in being paired with a South African PH while hunting in Alaska?"

For those whom say where the PH comes from is no issue, would they agree or say the same answer if the situation was reversed?

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I see no one has commented on whether they would use "an African PH as a hunting guide in Alaska"?

ie instead of a American guide.

By inference can't the same rationale be used for Africa and PHs used there?

stir

posted Hide Post
There is no rationale to vauge blanket statements such as "Would you hunt with an American PH?" It simply depends. If he were qualified, experienced and well thought of in the hunting community, then yes, he could certainly be considered as a viable option. If not, then, of course, no. The same applies to an African guide in Alaska. If he were experienced and qualified, and had good references and results, why on Earth would I not hunt with him? Because of a stamp on bit of paper? Preposterous. As far as determining that individual's qualifications, one who is considering spending upwards of 20 or 30,000 dollars on a hunting trip to Africa should do his research.
I for one have the utmost respect for indivuals of differing nationalities becoming PH's in Africa, because it is often such a demanding and competitive business, especially for outsiders, as evidenced by the experiences of Hoffman and others. As the saying goes "Shake a tree in RSA and watch the PH's fall out." With so many licensed PH's, some of whom have difficulty finding work, a PH who does get work in such a competitive field and therefore probably has the required experience and knowledge is quite likely to be a very capable PH. Just my 2 cents and a wee little rant on irrational blanket statements.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it would be fun to hunt with an African PH in Alaska. It would be fun to see him freeze to death and also fun to for once be able to teach my PH something about hunting!

jumping

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Never heard of an African employed as a hunting guide in Alaska. Although if one could be found, and if he knew the game and the country, and had the requisite skills, etc., I would have no problem hunting with him.

On the other hand there have been many Americans who have acted as PHs in Africa over the years. In fact, some of the best PHs in African hunting history have been Americans. I am thinking in particular of the Cottars, Charles, Glen and Mike.

Sorry to interject fact into this, but there you are.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13661 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:

Hey 180% role reversal, but then there you are.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
quote:

It's 180 degrees, not 180 percent.

You really need to learn how to pick a fight. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13661 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
quote:

It's 180 degrees, not 180 percent.

Correction taken.
archer dancing

One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMonster31:
There is no rationale to vauge blanket statements such as "Would you hunt with an American PH?" It simply depends. If he were qualified, experienced and well thought of in the hunting community, then yes, he could certainly be considered as a viable option. If not, then, of course, no. The same applies to an African guide in Alaska. If he were experienced and qualified, and had good references and results, why on Earth would I not hunt with him? Because of a stamp on bit of paper? Preposterous. As far as determining that individual's qualifications, one who is considering spending upwards of 20 or 30,000 dollars on a hunting trip to Africa should do his research.
I for one have the utmost respect for indivuals of differing nationalities becoming PH's in Africa, because it is often such a demanding and competitive business, especially for outsiders, as evidenced by the experiences of Hoffman and others. As the saying goes "Shake a tree in RSA and watch the PH's fall out." With so many licensed PH's, some of whom have difficulty finding work, a PH who does get work in such a competitive field and therefore probably has the required experience and knowledge is quite likely to be a very capable PH. Just my 2 cents and a wee little rant on irrational blanket statements.

CC - I believe my initial question did in fact address the qualification issue you address. I made no vague blanket statement. Not picking a fight, just pointing out a fact.

John, PM answered.

For the record, I would hunt in Alaska with a qualified guide who happened to be South African. No problem, as long as he were qualified and properly licensed.

Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
The VAST majority of guides in the Yukon, NWT and Northern BC (Stones sheep, Dall sheep, Goats, moose, caribou, grizz, etc) do not live anywhere near where they guide.

Canada is a pretty big country...just cause a guide lives in Canada doesn't mean he's local.

Anyway, wrt to hunting in foreign countries, all else being equal, I would prefer to hunt with a local or near local....exposure to the culture, way of looking at things etc, would definitely enhance the experience and my ability to learn about the location. Icing on the cake if the PH is good.

Given a choice where all else (eg. hunting ability and or compatibility of personality) is NOT equal, I'd probably go for the guy with best track record of success and hunter satisfaction...regardless of where he's originally from.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
There's at least one ex-Zim PH now living in Alaska...although I think he's doing farm work now, but if he got his guide license I am sure his skillset would quickly transfer. In fact, might be just the ticket for stalking brownies in the thick stuff up the salmon rivers! Smiler

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill C:
There's at least one ex-Zim PH now living in Alaska...although I think he's doing farm work now, but if he got his guide license I am sure his skillset would quickly transfer. In fact, might be just the ticket for stalking brownies in the thick stuff up the salmon rivers! Smiler

I think if he was a good PH at home, he may give 98% of the locals more than a run.

stir Smiler

one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
It would be fun to see him freeze to death and also fun to for once be able to teach my PH something about hunting!

Walt, one of the funniest things I've ever seen was Brent Hein "freezing to death" in a plywood hunting shack in south Texas a couple of years ago. I'd never seen a man try to make love to a wood burning stove. Of course, I didn't teach him a thing about hunting. He spotted the only javelina I shot that weekend.

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you went out to dinner at a Chinese restaurant, would you find it odd if the cook were a Mexican?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
quote:
It would be fun to see him freeze to death and also fun to for once be able to teach my PH something about hunting!

Walt, one of the funniest things I've ever seen was Brent Hein "freezing to death" in a plywood hunting shack in south Texas a couple of years ago. I'd never seen a man try to make love to a wood burning stove. Of course, I didn't teach him a thing about hunting. He spotted the only javelina I shot that weekend.

David W!

Brent told me about that hunt last month in Omay and it is why I made the ccomment that you quoted above.

lol

465H&H

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There seems to be a bit of confusion here so I've compiled a list of sucessful AMERICANS (past & present) who are, or have been Professional Hunters in East Africa. Although (sorry) I may have left out a few (but still MUCH more complete than the Cecek book), it is still quite an impressive roster! They are:

Peary Herne
Al Klein
Leslie Simpson
Charles Cottar
Walter Jones
Owen Rutherford
Patrick Hemingway (son of Ernest)
Bud Branham
Mike Branham
George Hoffman
Cotton Gordon
Jeff Rann
Mark Sullivan
Shaun Sullivan
Mark Collins
J.D. Andrews
Joe Coogan
Doug Scandrol
Rolf Rohwer
Phil Lozano
Ridge Taylor
Cash Taylor
Marshall Smalling
Joe Obannon

F.W.I.W: There was also Americans like Carl Akeley & James L. Clark who were taxidermists & naturalists (not professional hunters) but these guys (IMHO) were probably as skilled & experienced in African hunting as some of today's PH's. Just as the men listed above, They also had the same intense love of Africa & it's wildlife.

Posts: 353 | Location: tanzania, east africa | Registered: 27 March 2008Reply With Quote