Find
Notify
Tools

DVD: Big Botswana Tuskers Vol. 2
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted
Just received and watched the DVD as I temporarily have to live my African hunting 3rd party, so to speak.

An unashamed plug for Botswana and Johan Calitz Safaris but well shot and in good quality.

What interested me was the footage of when the first shot failed and follow up shots were required. There are examples of cool marksmanship and of atrocious weapons handling. Some people go to Africa with clearly no idea of what their rifle does or how to use it. My heart goes out to all the PH's and outfitters who get these people.

There was some interesting info on shot placement and Elephant management in Botswana and I would have liked to have seen more of that.

A bit long and only about elephants but well worth buying.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Code4:
Did you purchase this through Safari Press? Didn't know there was a volume 2 but will order it immediately as volume 1 was a great DVD as are Carter/Boddington's and Buzz and Myles.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Yes, Safari Press.

My two favourites remain 'In A Hunters Shadow' and 'First Season' by Ron Aylward

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I still remember watching Boddington on elephant watching a wannabe elephant hunter turn and run at ab eke charge. Instead of standing his ground and flinging lead with the Ph.
Showed it to one of my friends the DVD and when the incident occurred, he goes "that wuss".

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of opus72
posted Hide Post
Code4,
Agreed, and "First Season" is one of my favorites too. Haven't seen "In a Hunter's Shadow" yet.

Posts: 262 | Location: Mount Pleasant, SC | Registered: 02 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
I still remember watching Boddington on elephant watching a wannabe elephant hunter turn and run at ab eke charge. Instead of standing his ground and flinging lead with the Ph.
Showed it to one of my friends the DVD and when the incident occurred, he goes "that wuss".

Mike

Sad thing is that the same fellow (hunting with his wife as I recall and from Canada) shot a sod of an elephant bull later in the hunt. I still wonder why they were throwing stuff at the cow before she charged -- I know that they said it was because she would not move, but then you have to wonder, why not go around?

Mike

Posts: 21668 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
I thoroughly enjoyed Vol. 1, so I'll have to chase down Vol. 2

For sure it's a giant plug for Caltitz Safaris, but that doesn't bother me, he's one of the very best in the world of modern Elephant hunting.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just ordered it from Safari Press. Price = 39,95 without shipping.
Cheers, hans