Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Caliber advice
 Login/Join

posted
I am going on my first safari in June and need some input on my rifle choices for those that have been there and done that. It will be a plains game hunt and animals up to eland size. I have a Sako .375 that I do plan on taking, but my lighter rifle is the one i am undecided on. I have a Sako 300WM that I shoot pretty well, but I have a .280AI and a STW that I have a lot more confidence in. I guess the question is, would the .280AI or the STW be enough for game up to Eland size? I load 140 AB's in both. Any advice would be appreciated

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Any of the above "will" work but for eland I would prefer nothing smaller than .308 cal. My recommendation is the .300 WM and the .375 H&H. But...I would using the .375 on the eland. I would have the .300 available for a long shot on something elusive and primarily use the .375.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37811 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Any of the above "will" work but for eland I would prefer nothing smaller than .308 cal. My recommendation is the .300 WM and the .375 H&H. But...I would using the .375 on the eland. I would have the .300 available for a long shot on something elusive and primarily use the .375.

What Lane said!

.................................................................... patriot

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just use the 375 for everything!!

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are hunting game farms, and no dangerous game animals are around, I would have no problems with a 7 STW using heavier bullets or 140 Barnes TSX bullets on Eland. You aren't going to want to take a poor option shot on eland even with the .375. I personally don't think there is that much difference in game between a 7mm and a .30 as long as the sectional density is about the same.

Personally, my feeling of minimum caliber is determined if we might run in to a large unhappy animal, and I take a .375 as a light rifle in those cases, but a PG exclusive hunt the lighter gun makes sense, especially at longer ranges.

Since you say you feel more comfortable with the 7 STW I would use that. I suspect a .280 (which is really all the AI is) would be even lighter on Eland with suboptimal shots, but the extra ease at range tips me towards the STW.

If you are not comfortable with the .300, I would leave it at home. An expensive trip is the last place you want to be guessing about your gun choices.

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Made my first trip with a 375 H&H and a .270. Ended up carrying and using the the 375 H&H almost every day as my trophy 'want/need' list was large and I didn't connect with an eland until my second trip. Found with proper scope the 375 worked well on a variety of plains game at all the distances I shoot at. On some later trips for specific smaller critters I took a 300 Weatherby as it would handle everything I was going to encounter.

Don't dwell too much on the caliber thing...use the most reliable rifle you have that you are most confident with. What is important is to put a well constructed bullet in the right place.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brought a 30-06 to Africa and took everything up to an Eland with it. We didn't get it till the last day and my PH told me many times "keep shooting" when we get an Eland. To him the 30-06 was light, but it did the job, and I shot multiple times.

A dynamic I realized when I was there was that it is important to account for the TIME a lesser caliber might impact. Your STW, an 06, etc. will take an Eland, but what my PH was thinking about was that a less than optimal caliber, or a less than optimal shot, can mean a day or more of tracking/looking for the animal. If you are on a single animal hunt in the states, that might not be a big deal, but in Africa, you typically have a much longer list of animals on quota and that tracking time cuts directly into your ability to load the animal into the truck, take it back for processing, and continuing to hunt the rest of the day.

As a result of this, my PH and others I had the chance to speak with in Africa (not visiting hunters) were pretty universal in saying, "just use a .375 on plains game". To them, that is like a 30-06 here in the states.

On my next trip, I will likely bring a .375 or 9.3x62 and plan to use that most of the time. However, my son and I were very happy we brought over a really accurate .260 that we used for impala, baboon, and warthog. I think a light, accurate rifle is nice to have on the truck.

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just my 2 cents worth.
If a 375 is what you want to use on your biggest game, take it alone, it will certainly handle everything smaller as well.
What if you are out stalking a duiker and your dream eland appears, doubt you'll have time to run to the truck to get your big gun.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just the 375, and a spare scope. Possibly a spare firing pin/ spring assembly. Only suggesting that as I had the spring on mine decide to start going bad on the last day of my hunt. Almost didn't get my kudu because of it.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Load the 300WM with a super premium bullet of 180 grains or better yet a 200grainer and enjoy your hunt.

You will have to pick your shots with the eland; but two friends of mine killed two eland last year with 300WM and 180gr Woodleigh PSP's...........

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
The 375 H&H has been standard carry for me on almost every African hunt, unless I'm doing a specialized hunt that would not require the power of a 375 (i.e. Vaal Rhebok, Oribi, Hyena, Bushbuck, Honeybadger, impala, baboon, warthog, etc. etc, etc.). Having said that, I have killed everything from elephant on down to Livingstone's Suni with the 375 H&H, using solids for the little stuff. Oftentimes I was carrying the .375 for either dangerous or bigger game when other smaller plains game animals presented the opportunity. If going to South Africa on plains game only, including eland, my choices would be one of the 300-338 calibers (i.e. 300 magnum calibers or 338 magnum calibers), and the 375. I have shot both eland and giraffe with the 300 WSM, but I now am of the belief that the 375 ought to be the go to caliber to be used most effectively on eland and giraffe. My particular choice over the years for my other plains game rifle has usually been either a 300 WSM or a 325 WSM. I have taken a 270 on plains game hunts as well, but with my experience over the years I would prefer the more certain knockdown power found in the 300s or 338s. Just my experience.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have taken a smaller caliber exactly once on a safari than a .375 H&H. I used a .300 WM on a bushbuck because of the distance I took him at. I have successfully used the .375 all the way from duiker to eland. If you are comfortable with the .375, take it.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stealth
posted Hide Post
On a first safari, take the gun you're confident in. Most plains game animals, even eland, will fall to a well-placed shot using a premium 7mm bullet. 140 grains is a bit light, though. I would recommend moving up to a heavier bullet like the 160 or 175 grain Nosler Partition, Barnes TSX, or a Swift A-Frame. Pay attention to your PH's instructions, place your bullets carefully, and keep shooting until the animal is down, don't stop to admire your shot.

Enjoy your first safari! It won't be your last.

"Personal is not the same as important", Corporal Carrot, Men at Arms

Posts: 144 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 04 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
While I have used lesser guns on safari I have taken everything from Duiker to Elephant with a 375H&H mostly with 260 Nosler Partitions. This includes Kudu,Leopard,Steenbuck,Eland,Waterbuck,Buffalo,and Wildebest. I find it the absolute only rifle required for use in Africa. I rarely used the spare gun I took. I did carry a spare scope for the 375 and had to use it a couple of times.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
375 with one of the 260-270 grain bullets. If the eland pops up at a bad angle, no worries. As for all the rest, you can't have too much gun

Posts: 1094 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Take any of them that you are confident in.

I have shot hundreds of plains game, including eland, with a 270, and never felt I needed anything bigger.

Use wll constructed bullets, and place them in teh right place.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Any of the above listed will work fine. Take the ones you're most comfortable with.

I have a friend who has taken a 270 WSM on the last two trips as his "big" gun.

I've taken my 300 Win Mag three time, a 7mm-08 once and 375 H&H once. Believe it, or not, the 375 was mainly used for the little guys with solids.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
First off, you don't need more than one gun.
Second, as many others have said, any one of the ones you have will work.
For the safari you describe my first choice would be the 300 IF the rifles were equal. Second would be the 375 but take whichever one YOU have the most confidence in because they will all work.
I envy you going on your first safari, it is a magic time. And lastly, Welcome to AR!!!
You will be ruined for the rest of your life. Big Grin

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a big fan of both the 375 and the 300 Win. My suggestion would be based on where you will hunt. If you are hunting Mountain Reedbuck or other animals found in mountainous areas, I think the 375 is not your best option. I hunted Mountain Reedbuck with a 300 Win with 200 grain bullets and felt there were better options. I encountered long shots with lots of wind. I too like to carry a 375 if I'm hunting somewhere near critters that are dangerous. It is stressful to walk into some elephants with a 270 in your hands regardless of what your PH is carrying. I like to be able to at least try to defend myself. It really is important to know where you will hunt and what animals to make a meaningful suggestion. I love my 9.3x62 in Zimbabwe but want something flatter shooting in SA. Just my opinion.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been on 5 African safaris - 2 in RSA, 1 in Mozambique, 1 in Tanzania, and 1 in Zambia.

For plains game every caliber you own will work, if you put a premium bullet through the boiler room.

Sometimes - because you can't avoid it - you must shoot "through" brush; and, IMO, the heavier larger caliber bullets do better "negotiating" brush. Your .375 would do it best.

Hence, even though you don't plan on dangerous game, I would recommend shooting the .375 loaded with a 250 gr. TTSX at ~2900 fps. If you don't reload, such ammo is available from Double Tap.

But, if you don't shoot your .375 that well, it's best to use one of the smaller calibers you do shoot well.

Bullet placement is paramount.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your going to Africa take your big tube. You will at least look the part.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
that is all you will need
quote:
Originally posted by nickh:

Nick

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the replies, I appreciate it. I have been loading 180 AB's and partitions both in the 300, and I do have a good load for 160 AB's in my STW. I never go on any trip without two rifles just in case and based on what you guys have said it will be the 300 and the 375.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The .375H&H is never the wrong answer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you must take 2, your choice of 300 & 375 is excellent.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
30 Cal Magnums for me with 200 gr Trophy Bonded or Swift A-Frame bullets.....they shoot flat and they don't blow up like fast 7mm's!!

Most specifically in the rifle you have the most experience with and shoot best!!

Good Luck.

Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2674 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by okierifleman:
Thanks everyone for the replies, I appreciate it. I have been loading 180 AB's and partitions both in the 300, and I do have a good load for 160 AB's in my STW. I never go on any trip without two rifles just in case and based on what you guys have said it will be the 300 and the 375.

Sounds like a man of hunting experience! Those calibers will serve you well. They have been there and done that many times. Good luck sir!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37811 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nickh:

Nick

+1

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Africa?
375 H&H - period

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have a .280AI and a STW that I have a lot more confidence in. I guess the question is, would the .280AI or the STW be enough for game up to Eland size? I load 140 AB's in both.
Any advice would be appreciated

Brittany Boddington very successfully folded up her bUll eland with a 7mm/08.
She uses that to great effect cause it the gun/cartidge she has much confidence in.... tu2

CB himself suggests a persons regular deer cartridge for back home (i.e. 7x57,270win ,30/06) is a sound recommendation for someone pursuing PG.

and ...A fellow I spoke to at SCI was delighted in the way his 6.5/284-BarnesX 140gn, foldeded up his bull eland pronto.

with the quality of premium bullets avail. today, you should have every confidence in your 280AI ability to do the job.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The STW has nothing to do in Africa unless you are hunting Springbucks at 300-400 yeards.

Take the 300 Win Mag and the 375 HH. Carry the 375 HH and let one of the other, if possible, carry the 300 Win Mag. Test the 375 on 100 - 200 - 300 yards before you go. Same With the 300 Win Mag.

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1142 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
My everyday carry rifle on the ranch is a 270 Win with 140 gr Accubonds. I love the combination and shoot a great deal of animals, but note a distinct difference when hitting a kudu cow-sized animal and a big kudu bull/ gemsbuck.
I accept that others have had different experiences and although it can be done, I would be very, very wary of shooting an eland bull with the combination. Eland are huge!

Posts: 787 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I have not hunted PG or DG in Africa. But I do own a 280 AI & know it thoroughly. If I was taking it to Africa for PG, I would definitely use 150 gr TSX or 160 Gr Accubonds.

IMHO - 140 gr ABs are far too light for large PG like kudu & Eland unless you get perfect conditions - which are not very common in real life hunting conditions.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11221 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Norwegian:
The STW has nothing to do in Africa unless you are hunting Springbucks at 300-400 yeards.

I would confidently take a 7mmSTW with 160NF or 175NP - for just about any medium or large game
anywhere in the world....and its a real shame they don't make the tough high penetrating 7mm-160 Failsafe anymore... :thumb down:
Its the kind of versatile modern day bullet one could use in STW to down elk at 500yd with, and quite capably brain an elephant at 15yd with.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
A 7mm STW or a 300 Remington Ultra Mag are almost perfect for plains game.

I have built a 30/404 specifically for hunting plains game.

It worked like a dream.

I would not take a 375 for plains game, unless I specifically like to shoot it.

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trax:
quote:

I would confidently take a 7mmSTW with 160NF or 175NP - for just about any medium or large game
anywhere in the world....and its a real shame they don't make the tough high penetrating 7mm-160 Failsafe anymore... :thumb down:
Its the kind of versatile modern day bullet one could use in STW to down elk at 500yd with, and quite capably brain an elephant at 15yd with.

Do you seriously think that a 7 mm STW will brain an elephant ?

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1142 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Trax:
quote:

Morten

consider the source, Morten rotflmo you mean you wouldn't risk your life braining an elephant with a 7mm expanding bullett??? space

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13399 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Morten

have you ever used a Win. 7mm-160 FS bullet?...I very much doubt the FAilsafes made it to Norway.

similarly, Just ask Gerard of GSC how effective 30cal 160gnHV bullet is at braining elephant.

a high vel. 160FS or 160HV at close range, each become a high weight retention/high vel. FN solid.

just keep in mind SA parks quite effectively use 145gn FN solids to brain their elephants.
But I guess they should wait for advice from you in Norway to know what works...
but then again your the naive guy who says the highly capable STW is only good for springbuck in Africa.....good grief.

I always wonder why Mr.Selby had the confidence to successfully guide his 14yo daughter onto bull ele with her using the old 7x57-175 solid,
yet most of todays recreational hunter folks 'who claim to know better' would feel totally inept and inadequate with such, not because it does not actually work,
but because their egos find it hard to acknowledge.....Theres clearly something mentally lacking in todays PHs and hunters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you shot it well that the .375 leave the rest at home. It is not too much .375 Ruger in a Hawkeye Alaskan works very well, I have pictures! "Shot well" is the key.

Posts: 746 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I know someone who shot a charging elephant with a 7mm Remington Magnum.

He dropped it in its tracks.