New
Find
Notify
Tools

.300 wsm
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How do you guys feel about the .300wsm in general? For plains game in particular?

Better alternatives?

Posts: 109 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 20 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Blaser Offroad R93 in .300 WSM topped with a Zeiss 5-15x40 and it's a great combination. Hunted with in in Iran and Kamchatka and all trophies (several rams, big wild boar, wolf) I harvested fell to the first shot - the .300 is lethal even at long distances. I am using custom ammo produced by Wolfgang Romey from Germany.
And - for all those who downgrade Blaser - show me a more accurate factory rifle please!It's light, sturdy and has taken quite some knocks on the horse and foot trails of the mountains I hunted It never let me down - and the return to zero after completely disaseembling the rifle (I usually take also the scope off when I am riding a mountain pony on an Asian packsaddle) is 100%.
Over 100,000 Blaser R93 sold (this was in the press recently)means something, doesn't it?
Well - coming back to the .300 WSM - it certainly has become my favorite mountain cartridge!

MUSKWA

Posts: 42 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
<Mike Dettorre>
posted
Guys...cartridge means nothing...30 cal 180 grn bullet at 2900-3000 fps is the same whether it comes from a WSM, a Win Mag, a Weatherby Mag, an H&H, or a Dakota.

one of us
Picture of urdubob
posted Hide Post
Well it works pretty well:

I killed a gold medal cape kudu with one, two Gemsbucks over 39", two blesbucks, and more springbuck than I want to say.....works well on Babboons or Vervit monkeys too. Please use a good bullet.aframe or failsafe works well.

Urdubob

[ 10-11-2003, 03:07: Message edited by: urdubob ]

Posts: 945 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's just another 300 magnum and its as good as any of them IMO....No more, no less. Same can be said for my old 300 H&H, no more no less....

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
As long as it can be shot accurately it will not let you down...Just pay your dues and practice on the range with shooting sticks hitting six inch paper plates in a fluent motion..Set up aim an fire in about 5 seconds...IMO

Mike

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Good to see that you really like the old 300 H&H. I have one that I have many years and I have taken a lot of game with it. On my recent safari with Charles Price, my brother and I used our 300 H&Hs exclusively. I loaded both our ammunition with 180 gn Nosler Partitions to a chronographed 3000 fps. Just about everything we shot died right there.

I am glad that there are many "new" cartridges are coming out. Someone will buy them and thus keep our manfacturers going. However, it will be a damn cold day in hell when I trade in my 300 H&H for a 300 WSM.

HOOT

Posts: 790 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote