Find
Notify
Tools

New SAA airbus
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
OINK OINK!!!

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Every morning before I go to work, I turn on SABC 2's Morning live, and during the traffic reports, they always give the late arrivals coming into Johannesburg International. Every day, I mean every day, The SAA flight from Atlanta is coming in late.

I get to go home in June for a couple of weeks, and we are flying Virgin Atlantic via London. Hope that is better than SAA

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone compared prices of going via Franfurt-Joburg or Frankfurt -Windhoek? For me to go to Namibia it would be a straight trip to Windhoek, without going right over Namibia into Joburg,then getting on a plane to go back up.

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As a consumer this is just what I like to hear. Same, price, narrower seats, less leg room, longer flight. Yep, that's how to get my repeat business.

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'd swim if that was the only way available, and nothing will ever be as crowded as a stretch DC-8, six abreast filled up with Marines wearing wool winter uniforms on the way to Southeast Asia. At least, I'll have a return ticket from Jo-burg!

Posts: 7547 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll second the Judge on that. Without a doubt that sucked. The smoke was so thick, you couldn't see the front of the cabin from the back. Nice to have a basis of comparison.

Posts: 371 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Gene,

That is a great baboon skull photo. You might consider using Image Station for your photo hosting so as not to have a banner imprinted on YOUR nice photo!

Posts: 19170 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

BF

No it means that they haven't changed their scheduled departure arrival times. The 747 generally under flew the schedule ATL-JNB and the A-340 has been over flying the schedule by as much as an hour.

The A-340 is a .74-.76 mach cruise airplane that means it cruises at 74 to 76% the speed of sound.

The 747 cruises at .86 to .88 mach. The last time I went down non stop on a 747 the elapsed flight time was 12:58.

surestrike,

Thanks for the info. Now it makes sense.

I guess one of the ways to be more fuel efficient with the new generation of jets is to just fly slower. What progress.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The attached site shows the Airbus with a .83 Mach cruise and the 747-400 with a 507mph max cruise speed. Which seems to make the Airbus somewhat faster. These are the only speeds I can find but if this is fact, there must be another reason for SAA/Airbus delays.

http://www.airliners.net/info/stats.main?id=28

http://www.airliners.net/info/stats.main?id=100

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another thought for the "Freedom Safari Airlines" - a nice used 747SP for $1,000,000?
web page

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all. I work for Boeing in Wichita, and Airbus is trouncing us with sales, so it was a good uplift to find that their customers' view of their product was not as favourable as of ours.
Cheers - Alan

Posts: 26 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 05 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You need to be careful of mixing apples and oranges or Airbus with Boeings.

Mach speeds are variable and slow with altitude as a rule (see table below). A given speed per hour are not.

Altitude Temperature mph knots
Sea level 59�F 761 661
11000m-20000m -70�F 660 574

The 747 speed was listed in knots (kt) not mph. A knot is 15.2% farther than a mile so 507 knots/hr. is 584 mph.

So at crusing altitude the 747's mach number is = 507/574 which is mach .88. That makes the Boeing a little faster even using the economy speed they list.

The only rationale for the Airbus being consistently behind schedule is fuel conservation. In all honesty, they should adapt their schedules for that reality.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I don't know the "official" cruise speeds for the other airplanes, I fly the 777 which usually cruises at .83-.84 mach. We get passed by 747's, and we in turn pass the A340's. So in normal use, the 747 is definitely faster than the A340.

For me, the slow speed of the A340 is merely one more drip in the water torture. As previously posted, the economy cabin is so horribly uncomfortable that the flight would be painful at any speed short of mach 2.

Posts: 153 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 07 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Slower also does not necessarily translate into better fuel economy. The high bypass engines are designed for optimum fuel efficiency in a narrow speed range, which varies with engine manufacturer. The 747 used either Rolls, GE or Pratt's. The enemy of fuel efficiency is drag, hence Boeing's efforts with the 7E7 to target a 20% increase in fuel efficiency over the A330 by a combination of weight, engine and design (drag) approaches.

Posts: 26 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 05 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
By the sounds of it - the flight from Atl to Cape Town - is always late. We aren't going to make our connecting flight to Port Elizabeth. Geeesh, just wanted I wanted to know 2 weeks prior to departure. I guess it is time to call the travel agent and find out what is going on.

Thanks all for the info.

Don

Posts: 263 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm moving to Africa-Problem solved.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LV Eric,

I've done just that...

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I directed this to Terry, but anyone can feel free to respond. It seems that most of what I'm hearing about the Airbus is coach/economy class specific. What about the first/business class section? I have a client who is 6'3" and 260 and an overseas flight is just too much for coach seats on any plane. So how about the first/business class section on the Airbus?

Thanks,

Shannon
gotogirl3

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Shannon,

Go to page 1 of this topic and you will see a picture I posted of the Business Class seats. They are comparable to most First Class seats (they recline to flat position for sleeping). SAA does not have any First Class on their new Airbus flying from US to Africa, they just upgraded the Business Class seats.

There is one alternative for big guys. Since the seating is 2-4-2, one could buy two Coach Class seats and have a little more room (at less cost than a Business Class seat).

The wife and I used to buy 3 seats in Coach on the 747 (upper deck where it was 3-3 seating and more legroom than the lower deck - man I'm going to miss the 747), it was great to have the extra room.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have the size excuse - 5'1" and 112 lbs. - but I got spoiled traveling for business with a boss who flies first class everywhere - cost not an issue. Now I like the special boarding privilege, alot more slack re: carry-ons, and I just absolutely have to have a bloody mary between the time I board and the time we take off. And for me! So much room I can almost play!

I am looking at booking flights from IAH to Amsterdam to Arusha on NWA/KLM - IAH to AMS shows a 747Mixed and AMS to JRO shows a 767. What is the difference in business class on these flights and the airbus? Any suggestions on seat requests?

Thanks,

Shannon
gotogirl3

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Another problem not mentioned with this Airbus is the LCD screen on the back of the seat in front of you. I am 6'3" and rather long waisted. I cannot focus on the screen as it will not tilt up far enough to get a good sight picture. I cannot "scrunch" down to line up the sight picture because my knees jam into the seat.

Have you ever tried to talk to an SAA agent at check in Tis sad.

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is an outrage!!!!! I awalys fly first class and now its gone? The difference before was alot more than how far the seat reclined. First class was amazing, once I had it all to myself. My own staff and all the ice cream i COULD EAT.

The service and food in first class was far superior to biz class and the ratio of attendents to passengers was much better as well. There was a bed turn down service, PJ's to sleep in and almost total privacy. Lots of space between the seats so if you had your lights on you didnt feel like you were bothering your neighbor. There were so few seats in the nose of the 747 that it was almost like flying in a private jet....well not quite that nice but 10X better than biz class and certainly a better value.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
So SAA no longer uses the 747? The AIRBUS, like ever other French technical product is an inferior POS to just about anything out there. jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Gorge, how do you really feel?

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
well, as a flyer myself, I keep pretty good track of aircraft, particularly military ones. EVERYTHING coming out of france that flies, is a maintenance nightmare and technically inferior to anything that we manufacture. The crash is New York after 9/11 of an Airbus, was due to the pilot's full rudder deflection in trying to compensate for turbulence. jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Well, that's nice to know!

Posts: 19170 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

well, as a flyer myself, I keep pretty good track of aircraft, particularly military ones. EVERYTHING coming out of france that flies, is a maintenance nightmare and technically inferior to anything that we manufacture. The crash is New York after 9/11 of an Airbus, was due to the pilot's full rudder deflection in trying to compensate for turbulence. jorge

Aggressive Rudder Inputs Could Be Deadly, Safety Board Warns.
Air Safety Week, Feb 18, 2002
(Long article!)

Excerpts:

"It was the first fatal crash in North America of an Airbus Industrie aircraft, an A300-600, and the first involving a composite tailfin.< !--color--> All 260 aboard Flight 587 were killed, plus five on the ground. The tailfin separated from the airplane< !--color-->, causing loss of control as the aircraft was climbing to cruise altitude less than two minutes after its takeoff from New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)." ......

"Some A300 pilots maintain that the rudder movements recorded on the accident aircraft could not have been induced by the pilots. They argue that even in a wake turbulence encounter, such as occurred during the accident scenario, a pilot would not normally make a large rudder input and then snap- reverse it at 255 knots, the speed at which the accident airplane was climbing when the tail separated. For this reason, one A300 pilot suggests a greater focus on the rudder control system, as a simple exercise with a stopwatch suggests that the rudder movements recorded could not have resulted from pilot inputs. He maintains that the pilots on the accident aircraft could not have moved their feet that quickly. NTSB investigators do not agree, believing at this point that the rudder movements recorded on the accident aircraft appear to be "within pilot capability."

"This having been said, NTSB investigators are looking closely at the rudder control system. It may be useful to note that the A300-600 has amassed a history of uncommanded rudder movements - eight such events known to occur on the A300-600 fleet before the Flight 587 accident, as noted in the service difficulty report (SDR) database. In proportion to fleet size, this number of reported incidents is greater than that for the B757 aircraft (12 SDR reported events) and for the B767 (6 SDRs)."

Note: This accident involved an Airbus A300-600. SAA is flying the A340-600.

I'm not a pilot or aviation expert. I'm sure people here like Jorge can give links to sites with more detailed information about the cause of the fatal crash of American Airlines [AMR] Flight 587 on November 12, 2001.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While there is little doubt that the long flight to Joberg is not a pleasure, one thing seems to be forgotten, or at least left out of this conversation--cost. If SAA reduces the number of seats in order to gain more comfort, the cost per ticket will go up. We seem to have squalled and received all kinds of "fancies" on these flights, such as movies (individual yet), but don't forget we pay for these luxuries. I sure as hell don't want to see the price go up any more, damn sure not $150! Sure, if I were wealthy I could fly 1st class or business class, but it's never happened and I doubt it ever will. I suggest that we need to bite the bullet and realize that this trip to Joberg is going to be uncomfortable. Would you rather pay more? The safety is a concern, and being on time (at least enough to not miss connecting flights), for sure, but comfort is not worth paying for, within reason. Do we need all these flight attendants? You don't have them at home, why all of a sudden are they needed when we get on a plane? You don't have them while you're traveling in your car. Who the hell cares if there is a movie? Is there one in your car? Hell, I don't even have them at home, although I know many of you do. It still is a big luxury, not approaching a necessity. We don't even need music on these flights! Ever read? My point is that it's all not really that bad when put in prospective. Fun, hell no, but so what? It's merely an end to a means. Think about the hunt, forget about the damn ride! Just so folks don't think I'm just jabbering without experience, I have traveled all over the world to hunt, leave soon for my third trip to Africa, and I'm a scosh over 6' and 220 when in "sheep shape". My old body has been beat and abused more than most and I pay the price in aches, I assure you. For sure, I don't enjoy the flights; I tolerate them and don't want to pay more! Try flying in Mongolia or Russia! You'll love SAA then. I'd gladly accept more bare bones flights if the cost went down appreciably. I don't have the luxuries at home and don't need them for a few hours on a plane. It's not a two week ordeal--just a few hours.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmm, they made a profit with the leg room the configuration of the 747-400 afforded. Now they can't make a profit unless they add more seats?

As far as staff numbers on the plane, can you honestly relate driving in your car to a 20hour plane ride? That's all we need is self serve dining on a flight.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but and extra $100 for an extra few inches of leg room on that flight would be the best investment I'd ever make. If someone can't afford an extra $100 on a 5-20k hunt, maybe they should not be going.

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's not a matter of affording it--a penny saved is a penny earned. I'm not comparing it to a short drive to work, but yes, to long car trips of many hours duration. Hell, as far as I'm concerned, we don't even need food on the damn flight! If a guy can't go that long without groceries, then brig a bag of peanuts or a sandwich. I know it wouldn't bother me a bit to go without their food if it saved $75 or $100. They serve it at the wrong time anyway. To defeat the jet lag deal, they do it as wrong as they possibly could!

one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Quote:

While there is little doubt that the long flight to Joberg is not a pleasure, one thing seems to be forgotten, or at least left out of this conversation--cost. If SAA reduces the number of seats in order to gain more comfort, the cost per ticket will go up. We seem to have squalled and received all kinds of "fancies" on these flights, such as movies (individual yet), but don't forget we pay for these luxuries. I sure as hell don't want to see the price go up any more, damn sure not $150! Sure, if I were wealthy I could fly 1st class or business class, but it's never happened and I doubt it ever will. I suggest that we need to bite the bullet and realize that this trip to Joberg is going to be uncomfortable. Would you rather pay more? The safety is a concern, and being on time (at least enough to not miss connecting flights), for sure, but comfort is not worth paying for, within reason. Do we need all these flight attendants? You don't have them at home, why all of a sudden are they needed when we get on a plane? You don't have them while you're traveling in your car. Who the hell cares if there is a movie? Is there one in your car? Hell, I don't even have them at home, although I know many of you do. It still is a big luxury, not approaching a necessity. We don't even need music on these flights! Ever read? My point is that it's all not really that bad when put in prospective. Fun, hell no, but so what? It's merely an end to a means. Think about the hunt, forget about the damn ride! Just so folks don't think I'm just jabbering without experience, I have traveled all over the world to hunt, leave soon for my third trip to Africa, and I'm a scosh over 6' and 220 when in "sheep shape". My old body has been beat and abused more than most and I pay the price in aches, I assure you. For sure, I don't enjoy the flights; I tolerate them and don't want to pay more! Try flying in Mongolia or Russia! You'll love SAA then. I'd gladly accept more bare bones flights if the cost went down appreciably. I don't have the luxuries at home and don't need them for a few hours on a plane. It's not a two week ordeal--just a few hours.

Arts,

Wow, why don't you tell us what you really think ?

In answer to the reason for flight attendants, some of these flights are close to two days long if you are connecting to other flights and trying to avoid a layover in Joburg. At home we can go into the kitchen to prepare a meal or snack, but on the flight they don't take kindly to passengers "messing around" in the galley.

As to cost, the obvious solution would be an "economy plus" section with seven seats per row instead of eight. It would need to cost $150-$200 more, but not be mandatory for those who want the lowest possible cost (back to the old three class system, but with the middle class affordable to the masses unlike before ).

As for the individual screens in the seatbacks, if you are presbyopic (over 40, and need glasses for near-point) they are not of much use to you anyway if the passenger in front of you insists on reclining their seat the whole flight. You won't be able to get far enough back to see the screen clearly, particularly if you are much over five and a half feet tall since the screen won't tilt far enough upward as pointed out in another post.

As for experience, I will be leaving for my ninth trip to Africa in the next month or so, and my old body is certainly in no better shape than yours . I had hoped to be able to upgrade with frequent flyer miles so that just one time I could see what it was like in business class, but due to a mixup in my Voyager account I lost about 40.000 miles at the end of last year (and we won't even talk about the fiasco when South African split with American several years ago). Now I will have to make two more flights to be able to upgrade, but even this might not work. I was told by a "consolidator" for South African that he had a customer who wanted to do an upgrade this year. The customer asked for a 10 day time window (he would go at anytime within this 10 day window that a seat was available), and was willing to fly anytime from May to October of this year. South African, due to the reduced number of business class seats in the Airbus, was unwilling to allow this passenger to upgrade under these conditions, so I may not get to use my miles, even when I reach the upgrade level. Has anyone else tried to upgrade with frequent flyer miles this year (if so, what was your experience)?

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now, now, I don't think any of the flights are 2 days. Unless it has recently changed, the Atlanta/Joberg flight is the longest non-stop commercial flight in the world, and it still is only about 16 hrs +/-. Surely one can go that long without running to the fridge if they put their mind to it. I know I do it regularly. For those with the big bucks, or the non-conservative type, they could pay for it. I sure don't need to! The economy-plus approach is a good idea. I don't need luxuries I don't have normally, and would prefer not to pay for them. I sure don't need a damn movie! Don't have them at home, either, and don't feel a bit short changed. I never even think of using any of my frequent flyer miles for upgrades--I use them for tickets! Economy tickets!

one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Now, now, I don't think any of the flights are 2 days. Unless it has recently changed, the Atlanta/Joberg flight is the longest non-stop commercial flight in the world, and it still is only about 16 hrs +/-. Surely one can go that long without running to the fridge if they put their mind to it. I know I do it regularly. For those with the big bucks, or the non-conservative type, they could pay for it. I sure don't need to! The economy-plus approach is a good idea. I don't need luxuries I don't have normally, and would prefer not to pay for them. I sure don't need a damn movie! Don't have them at home, either, and don't feel a bit short changed. I never even think of using any of my frequent flyer miles for upgrades--I use them for tickets! Economy tickets!

Arts,

I didn't mean to imply that the flight from Atlanta to Joburg is nearly two days. My point was that if you have a connecting flight to or from another African country (and you are unlucky enough to fly on the day that has the Capetown stop as well), you could be traveling for well over a day without an overnight layover. Been there, done that, but didn't get a T-shirt (did get the little South African travel kit though ).

As for non-stop, the Joburg-Atlanta flight is definitely more than 16 hours, and even though it has intermediate "stops" in Capetown or Cape Verde Islands, you can not leave the plane. The Joburg-Cape Verde-Atlanta flight alone was scheduled to be 18.5 hrs, but my flight in May was actually over 19 hrs., and from the time that my original flight originated in Zim I was traveling for more than 24 hours. Had I been returning from Tanz, it would have been a good bit longer. Certainly no fun. Will I let this prevent me from returning-not bloody likely, but I don't have to like it .

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see lots of sleeping pills in my future. It works wonders on flight time perception and jet lag if you do it right.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh yes, 375, I know what you mean about those "extended flights". I've usually had plenty of layover time in the Joberg airport to grab a bite if I wanted to, though. (never did because it's too damned expensive). Just checked my itinerary, and indeed, I was off a bit--18 hr 55 min to Capetown with a stop in Joberg, but don't know how long that will be. First time I went, we stopped in the Cape Verde islands for about 30 minutes or less, no getting off. On the return the stop was for about an hour or so and they did allow us off. Next time there was no stop at all going, but stopped on the return for about 30 min or less, no getting off. Like you said, I don't enjoy the trips at all, but they damn sure don't keep me from going! And they never gave me any South African travel kit! Now I'm pissed! Worst flight/travel I've had was Kyrgzstan to home. First, a 5 hour drive to the airport in Almaty, Kazahkstan, then fly to Amsterdamn, 3 hour layover, then fly to Los Angeles, 2 hours layover, then fly to Reno--then drive 2.5 hours home. Total travel time was something like 42 hours. Yes, I was a bit tuckered when I arrived home!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have made the trips to Europe several times and on to Almaty,KZ many times. I prefer the 747 and usually go Business. My next trip to RSA or Moz will be thru Europe. I will get a day room at a hotel, nap, shower, then go on. I will also try to use a gun from the PH or outfitter to avoid gun issues in Europe. I have found Frankfurt to be the most efficient airport in Europe. Schipol is next, but I lose luggage in that one.

THe Atlanta-RSA flight is the most efficient but beats me up too much.

Posts: 10199 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At 6'3" and over 200 not to mention the 24 broken bones and 4 operations I would rather give you the $150 extra to have a wee bit more comfort on the long haul. The $150 saved by some is not going to break me one way or the other nor prevent me from shooting something, eating something or enjoying the comfort. If we are talking something under a few hundred dollars and I can't afford it then I should not consider going. At age 66 and with the remains of football, fistfights and bad landings from motorcycles I appreciate the little extras. Broken arms don't care about seat size but broken hips do.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
I have not read every post, so pls forgive me if this has already been mentioned. On the 2-4-2 seating, it is worth noting that the arm rest between the "2" seats does not fold down on the Airbus. So if you are in one of the A/B or F/G seats and solo, you cannot spread out like before. The middle seats arm rests still fold up for sleeping on an empty flight. Seating width is tight, but bearable (I actually minded the seats in the SA flight to Harare more). If you purchase 2-seats, make sure it is in the center section.

Thanks to Kathi, I had the front Economy/Coach seats on both flights, right behind the Business Class. I'd suggest these seats when booking, as at least nobody is in front of you and the fold-out LCD screen can be adjusted well for various angles (including sitting forward and sleeping with your head on it - not too comfortable but good for when your butt goes numb). But expect some kids in the middle front section, as this is where the baby bassinet goes.

Anybody crying over the loss of the 1st Class should not worry, the Business Class area looked mighty fine from behind the little blue curtain...

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Tried to log on to the SAA website but it was too slow or down. Can anyone tell me if SAA has dropped the 747 alltogether? jorge

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

I was on there yesterday and it was indeed very slow. They still showed the 747-400 (?) and they had about 4 of them. The text said that they were used for international flights. They also had a number of 747-300 for local and inter-africa.

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote