Notify
Tools

Saeeds 375/404
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Seems the .375 Blaser is a close copy of Saeed's pet wildcat:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...4711043/m/8481022251

After comparating one cartidge case fired in Saeed's .375/404 Jeffery United Arab Emirates Express, which I have in possession,
using a protractor and my eyeball,
I hereby declare the shoulder angle to be 30 degrees, or junction cone angle of 60 degrees, until further clarified.
fishing horse hilbily

... And in a rifle that only Walter could love, and Saeed will love to hate:

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Using QuickDESIGN to modify the 404 Jeffery cartridge to match Saeed’s resized 375/404 case dimensions indicates a 51º39’14.26” (CIP) shoulder cone angle; half that for SAAMI shoulder angle specification.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Seems the .375 Blaser is a close copy of Saeed's pet wildcat:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...4711043/m/8481022251

After comparating one cartidge case fired in Saeed's .375/404 Jeffery United Arab Emirates Express, which I have in possession,
using a protractor and my eyeball,
I hereby declare the shoulder angle to be 30 degrees, or junction cone angle of 60 degrees, until further clarified.
fishing horse hilbily

... And in a rifle that only Walter could love, and Saeed will love to hate:

Nothing demonstrates that old saying "often copied, never equalled" like this one coffee

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We are going on 9 years of begging Saeed to read a shoulder angle spec from a reamer or case drawing.

Jim,
Even with QuickLOAD/QuickDESIGN your "estimate" is no better than I did with a pencil, paper, and the CRC trig tables, almost seven years ago, June 2004.
BECAUSE:
How do you know Saeed had his glasses on?

quote:
Originally posted by RIP: (06-26-2004)
Assuming the diameter at the neck-shoulder juncture (neck-1) is equal to 0.4070" as in the 375 RUM, and using the other data that Saeed supplied, one may then use the tangent function of trigonometry to calculate the shoulder semi-angle of the .375/404 Saeed:

26 degrees and 12 minutes

But what is the true neck-1 diameter of the case? Also might be affected by brass make and sobriety of caliper operator.

The nominal angle read off the reamer specs is what the peanut gallery is rooting for, going on two years now, lest we forget. Just curious.

Jim's estimate is: 25.83 degrees
My estimate was: 26.20 degrees

quote:
capoward

Posted 03-20-2011 8:57 PM
Using QuickDESIGN to modify the 404 Jeffery cartridge to match Saeed’s resized 375/404 case dimensions indicates a 51º39’14.26” (CIP) shoulder cone angle; half that for SAAMI shoulder angle specification.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just what the world needs, another .375 clunker. Blaser should be moving up the food chain with something bigger than the .375 and .416 on their magazine rifles. Not-reinventing the wheel. Maybe the R93 locking mechanism isn't up to the task?? Wouldn't think that to be the case.

bewildered

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do a search for a 9.5x66 Vom Hofe Super Express. It is a 375 based on a slightly shortened 404 case. Westley Richards considered going commercial with it as a 375 WR. One rifle was built and some ammo made but it never went commercial. It is like a slightly lengthened 375 Dakota. It was made commercially for a short time in Europe a number of years back Perhaps some cartridge experts here would be more familiar with it.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Nothing demonstrates that old saying "often copied, never equalled" like this one coffee

At the risk of sounding like a "fawning sycophant" (as one who no longer posts here would have said Smiler ), I have to agree. Wink

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Canuck,
Right on, right on, right on.
That magic rifle has made many game animals Walterable, for Walter himself.
Saeed is a generous man.
The camp staff winners of the shooting contests all won with that rifle too.
I have witnessed it, can vouch for the magic,
even in Walter's hands!

Here is the first .375/404 Jeffery, the 9.5 x 73 Miller-Greiss Magnum, circa 1928.
It had a long, sloped shoulder like the parent .404 Jeffery or 10.75x73, and was full length, not shortened like the "9.5x66 Vom Super Hofe Express."
The Vom Home 9.5 had a shoulder angle of about 40 degrees (81 degree junction cone angle by one source.)

The Miller-Greiss 9.5 seems to have the same shoulder angle as the 404 Jeffery, 8.5 degrees.

I hope Saeed never reveals his shoulder angle, else I would have nothing to whine about. Lo! The last nine years!

Walter should be proud that his German ancestors beat Saeed to it. Blaser has come full circle with their imitation of Saeed's imitation. Wink

The basics from www.municion.org

9.5 x 73 Miller-Greiss Magnum:

9.5x66 Vom Hofe Super Express:

Ernest August Vom Hofe was an assistant of Hermann Gerlich in Danzig during years 1920. Soon one moves to Leipzig with Wilhelm Brenneke. At the beginning of the decade of 1930 und Munition founds on Berlin company/signature HOFMANN Waffen (formed by HOFe and Richard SchienMMAN) to construct to its own cartridges of high speed and guns - based on Máuser- action. In 1935 Schiemmann the society leaves, that happens to be called “Vom Hofe Waffen und Munition”.

This cartridge is based on 7x66 Vom Hofe towards 1935. After diverse tests of Wolfgang Gehmann - that acquired the rights of Vom Hofe after the death of the same in 1945 - its production by the IWK began (old DWM) until the disappearance of this one in 1972. In 1992 Wolfgang Romey it returned to produce this cartridge during one season. At the moment we think that it does not produce any factory.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ballistics just like the "Nostalgic" .375 Blaser Magnum ... Wink ...

More on the 9.5x73mm Miller-Greiss Magnum ...

From W. B. Dixon's EUROPEAN SPORTING CARTRIDGES:

From Fred A. Datig's CARTRIDGES FOR COLLECTORS VOLUME 1 (CENTERFIRE):

From Frank C. Barnes'/Edited by Layne Simpson CARTRIDGES OF THE WORLD 12TH EDITION: