Find
Notify
Tools

which one would you shoot
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
At first look my eyes were drawn to the one on the right. He just looks older and I'm a sucker for the deep drop. For sure that one on the left will measure wider but the one on the right will score higher.

The FJOLD scoring system is (Age * 10) + horn length in inches = Score

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12687 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I will never be in that situation, but should some miracle happen it would be the left first then the right.

For those that have hunted them what are the odds of finding two bulls of that quality together like that?

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The one on the left, but I would wait until he lifted his head a bit, as the horn is right where you need to shoot.

Posts: 424 | Location: Australia | Registered: 11 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
To the older experienced trophy hunters and PH's (Kevin Robinson): Everyone agrees that these are two very good trophies, but which is really the "best"? In my book - but that is just my book - the buffalo in the photo recently posted by A. Dahlgren beats them both! Please help younger PH's gain some buffalo trophy judging-ability by giving us your best estimate of the SCI and Roland Ward and any other "scoring method" of the two.

Let's get some guessed "Inches" scores!

Thanks a lot.

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Upton O. Good
posted Hide Post
Neither one of them.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I like the spread on the left better than the drop on the right. Left.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Buckeye Shooter. I like the left one. Don't care for the drop on the right bull.
Brittman

One of Us
Picture of Rune Hallgeir
posted Hide Post
I would not shoot any of them in position they are standing in,
If the PH tells me that I can pick the one I like, I would have waited until one of them showing the broad side, then I shot one of them in the vitals, I would had prefer the oneto the right because of the shape of the horn , and it seems that he is older.
But both are excellent trophies.
I think the buff to the left will show his broad side first, and the best shot will be at him...

SCI Official measurer.

One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
Right.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote