Find
Notify
Tools

Cabelas Visa, NOT in Zimbabwe
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted
I called to have my Cabelas visa account cleared for use in Zim for my trip next month. They (2 reps and a stuporvisor) said that my card will not work in Zim and all charges will be denied. Said it was a "deal between Cabelas and the US gov to not fund terrorism". My US Bank visa and my American Express both made notes on my account and then said have a great trip. AMEX made a special point of telling me about all of their emergency assist programs if I have a problem while overseas.

What is up with the Cabelsa visa, they will book you a hunting trip but you can't use their card when you land? Anybody have any info on this?

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Yes! In 2010, I called customer circus and was assured that all purchases up to my limit would be honored. They weren't. No one at Cabales Visa could tell me why. OK. 2011 came and I tried again by calling Cabelas customer circus and was assured it would not happen again. Same as 2010. Card is useless except for maybe Cabelas purchases or maybe your local Denny's.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Funny...they (Cabela's) don't seem to mind to send folks to hunt on illegally occupied land in Zim...like Woodlands.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37743 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't speak to Cabelas Visa. However, I called Mastercard twice prior to a visit to Namibia in 2010 and was assured both times that there would be no problems with a large charge being incurred. Immediately upon making the charge in Namibia, at a bank, I found that my card had been "locked". It took several phone calls and tons of BS once back in the US to get the mess straightened out. I don't care for institutions, particularly large ones like Mastercard. I was particularly incensed when their reps started lying to me over the phone. They gave me someone in the Phillipines and it took forever to get someone in the US. I'm not sure how to resolve this in the future, but I may contact someone in the US and ask for written guarantee that I won't be left hanging on future overseas hunts.

Posts: 245 | Location: The Show Me State | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Makes you ask... "What's in your wallet?"

~Ann

Posts: 19545 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you ought to immediately cut up the Cabelas Visa and then go with something else from now on. Cabelas position seems to be quite hypocritical in my opinion. Not worth the Cabelas points when you can earn points with other cards.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Cabelas??? oh yea, they are the folks that book illegal hunts in Zimbabwe. i seem to remember a number of threads on a number of topics in the past where their booking practices were questioned. enough said!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13390 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try a Chase United Visa.Absolutely zero problems when I try to use it overseas. I call them before I go and it goes off without a hitch. One of the plus's is airline miles. I can't afford to fly first class on any kind of a regular basis and have been able to book business or first class tickets with points for the last 4 years. I'm too damn big to fly sardine. This year, the flight to Zimbabwe round trip first and business class cost me a whole 174.00 Never hurts.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is Cabelas actually issuing their own cards - or are they simply putting their name on cards issued by another organization (such as a bank) for a share of the cut?? Not knowing the answer, I would not be surpridsed if the second option is the right one. If that is the case, Cabelas are probably bound by restrictions imposed by their "original" card issuer.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
You've got too many CC's!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19359 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
Is Cabelas actually issuing their own cards - or are they simply putting their name on cards issued by another organization (such as a bank) for a share of the cut?? Not knowing the answer, I would not be surpridsed if the second option is the right one. If that is the case, Cabelas are probably bound by restrictions imposed by their "original" card issuer.

- mike

They actually own their own bank.

I have a Cabelas VISA Black Card. I noticed recently that when I buy two plane tickets right back to back they put a block on my card. The first time they assured me it wouldn't happen again. They did give me the direct fraud number; I put that in my mobile. The second time I called the fraud number direct and had the block removed. They apologized and said there has been a lot of fraud lately.

I don't need any more airline miles; Ms AZW and I both have black cards and we use the point to get Cabelas merchandise. I don't think I have used cash in years, including a huge wall tent we bought a few years ago.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't think I have used cash in years, including a huge wall tent we bought a few years ago

Interesting...I haven't used anything BUT cash for years...sometimes it's nice to have deniability when it comes to what you spend your money on...

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Well, the ONLY reason I have the Cabelas card is for buying something at an overinflated price in their store that I can't find anywhere else. Thats why I wanted to use that card because there is NO activity on it and would thus be very easy to track any issues. As I said my US BANK visa and AMEX were both great!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:
I don't think I have used cash in years, including a huge wall tent we bought a few years ago

Interesting...I haven't used anything BUT cash for years...sometimes it's nice to have deniability when it comes to what you spend your money on...
\

I meant to buy Cabela's gear.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The people at Cabelas are idiots. They put me on a list or something when I was once buying something for a friend in RSA to take over to him. They called me about it and I mistakenly told them it was for a friend in RSA and they told me it was illegal and would not sell it to me. Now when ever I order ANYTHING from them online I get a call about who it is for.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cabelas actually has a bank that issues its own credit cards. They are in a bit of trouble with their banking regulators. They probably have no choice but not to allow charges in Zim. This is typical of the government requiring you to fix a technical violation in a way that hurts your business.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Culpepper:
The people at Cabelas are idiots. They put me on a list or something when I was once buying something for a friend in RSA to take over to him. They called me about it and I mistakenly told them it was for a friend in RSA and they told me it was illegal and would not sell it to me. Now when ever I order ANYTHING from them online I get a call about who it is for.

that being the case, why do you buy anything from them?? basically the same stuff can be bought at the same price from Bass Pro( excluding, of course, their branded merchandise). screw me once- shame on you. screw me twice- shame on me( for being stupid enough to be taken again)

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by quickdraw:
Cabelas actually has a bank that issues its own credit cards. They are in a bit of trouble with their banking regulators. They probably have no choice but not to allow charges in Zim. This is typical of the government requiring you to fix a technical violation in a way that hurts your business.

charging goods and services in Zim is not illegal- otherwise Mastercard and Amex would be in a world of trouble. don't blame government regulations for a screw up that is unique to Cabelas.