Find
Notify
Tools

GoPro camera use on safari
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted
I'm highly considering buying a GoPro camera to film some of this years safari. I think they provide neat travel/bakkie shots and what not but I have never used one.

Are they easy to use? Easy to download and edit? Anyone prefer a particular model? Any and all help would be great.

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We use the HERO 3 quite a bit filming Tracks Across Africa as well as our other series. Very easy, and around $200 I believe.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Costco currently sells them with a nice accessory pack for $199. I have no personal experience but my adult son uses his for scuba and hog hunt video and loves it.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin...8911043/m/3441096281

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone want to sell a used one? Sounds like they are not good for typical hunting situations but I am considering using one on a waterhole that I can control from a blind. Might be neat footage but I don't want to spend a lot...more of an experiment than anything.

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
We used one in March. It captured some great footage. Driving with it attached to the Cruiser, dashboard shots, we even tried using it attached to someone's forehead walking around. Also good for bad weather since it is waterproof. The quality of the footage it shoots is also excellent.

Mike

Posts: 21696 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
they are great for "other shots" - but hunting shots, they are just too wide to see much. great planted somewhere for up close stuff or like Mike said on a vehicle (or on the road and run over them with vehicle). I like some of the shots Dave has gotten with elephants walking right over them. I would love to put one on a bait and have a cat feed right with it...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is not the right camera for filming impact shots but a lot of other fun uses on safari.

GoPro is the hot name in action cameras bit I prefer the Drift cameras. They mount more elegantly on a hat or cap, they have a built in screen and excellent remotes as part of the package. Properly mounted on my hat they stand up to 500NE recoil easily without shifting.

I have had the reassurance of reviewing the footage later the day after missing a kudu and clearly seeing how the kudu jumped away and the shot falling without any sign of impact and the kudu clearly outside the point of aim. It was wonderfull to have because it happened on a concession where I may hunt without a guide and tracker.

It does a sparkling job of capturing the ritual of preparing to leave the truck, walking through the bush, watching the trackers at work and finding your dead trophy.

For me it does a the job of capturing the essence of why we hunt, the scenery, the walking, dejected faces after a failure.

I compiled a 20 minute movie of a 10 day hunt in Zim which is always a lot of fun to watch and brings back the essence of that hunt almost to reality. 90% of the footage was captured on actioncam.

Tomorrow my new Drift will be delivered, after probably 30 days of hunting, 5000 miles overlanding through Southern Africa and some whitewater rafting my Drift has seen better days.

Posts: 403 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:
they are great for "other shots" - but hunting shots, they are just too wide to see much.

Exactly my experience. Fun cameras, but they do not replace a real video camera. "Other Shots" is a great way to describe their best uses.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of G L Krause
posted Hide Post
quote:
Drift cameras

I agree with what has already been stated in that these cameras are good for action shots and other fill-in clips, especially if you are creating a photo slide show on standard video. I opted to go with the Contour Roam2 camera instead of the Go-Pro simply because it it foolproof (switch on/off) and is tubular (half the length of a small maglite) so it fits on the side of a hat well. Something to at least consider.

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that kills bigger deer than I do." Izaak Walton (modified)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Im researching Drift now. Can you suggest a model that comes with a remote?

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Yes, I should have added that the Gopro is definately for "up close" type shots due to the fisheye effect at much distance. Do you guys have links for the Drift, etc. cameras. They sound interesting.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there is a reason that GOPROs dominate that market. the quality is way above the others. especially the new black edition. if you get one, spend the extra couple hundred and get the black edition ($399).

I would suggest a gopro as a 2nd camera (or maybe 3rd), but don't take it as your main camera. If you are just going to buy one, buy a regular HD camcorder.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:
I would love to put one on a bait and have a cat feed right with it...

Then follow the cat around with a baggie until......nevermind.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
www.driftinnovation.com

I think the GoPros are great, I went for Drift because it mounts easier on a hat, has a built-in screen and comes standard with a remote. When I started off this was all add-ons for GoPro.

Comparing GoPro 2 to my old Drift HD170 I think GoPro has a slight edge image quality wise. That said my Drift is still working despite a lot of abuse and a similiar age GoPro has died.

I am keen to explore the narrower field of view offered by the newer models, my new cam is arriving tomorrow.

When all is said and done about what equipment is best, to get good video footage is extra work that requires effort. I have had some luck in getting good footage but at other times have just ignored the cam altogether as getting a trophy in the salt required complete attention on only the trophy.

Posts: 403 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boy, so many options both in cameras and in mounting applications. GoPro Hero 3 Black edition, Drift HD Ghost and Contour+2 are my final three.

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom, I urge you to listen to the guys who film all the time. A go-pro, or anything like it is great for "other/cool" little shots. I like em. It will however, be worthless for filming - hunting, with the exception of putting the Go-Pro3 at the bait site on a cat hunt, and use the remote feature to start filming on demand. Cool stuff, but just another angle

You need an HD camera of some sort, even an HD Handycam can do a decent job on a safari, as often the shots/hunting is not real far away. Of course without a good external mic of some sort, the audio will generally suck, but the footage can be good.

But that beats the heck out of a real/professional set up. One single set-up to film for a professional video/tv hunt, to include the camera, batteries, both shotgun and wireless mics, SD cards, etc, etc - we will easily have over $10k into each one, just to start filming.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Jim- that's a great idea, but I haven't found a PH that will let me do that...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Aaron. I suppose I should have been more clear. I have a cameraman along to film me but I'm just wanting a neat option for some of the travel and bowhunting part of the trip. Thinking of putting one on a waterhole for a day on time lapse or something cool.

Thanks for all the responses guys. Keep it coming.

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Administrator
posted Hide Post
One thing to bear in mind about the GoPro is that it is a very wide angle camera for close up shooting.

It is good for putting by a bait or a waterhole, but anything at a distance is not going to be seen.

We actually take some of the smaller Sony HD video cameras and put them by a waterhole.
Such as SX260.

They so much better than a GoPro in many ways.

First they have a battery that lasts up to 12 hours.

Second the video is so much better.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunting For Adventure:
Thanks Aaron. I suppose I should have been more clear. I have a cameraman along to film me but I'm just wanting a neat option for some of the travel and bowhunting part of the trip. Thinking of putting one on a waterhole for a day on time lapse or something cool.

Thanks for all the responses guys. Keep it coming.

Ya, then a Go-Pro could give some cool/additional footage, IMO. Look at the GoPole, as well as the chest adapter, etc.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone want to sell a used one? Sounds like they are not good for typical hunting situations but I am considering using one on a waterhole that I can control from a blind. Might be neat footage but I don't want to spend a lot...more of an experiment than anything.

i have a Go Pro 2 i bought 5-6 months ago and have never used. it comes with the WiFi adapter that attaches to the back of the camera and allows cell phone control. everything that came with it (all the mounting adapters, chargers, paperwork, housings, etc.) are as new as they have never been used. i realize this isn't the classifieds but if you are interested, send me a PM and i will make you a REALLY good deal...

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13402 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if anyone is looking for a gopro this is about the best deal going right now

http://www.rei.com/coupon

buy a $20 membership (if not a member already) and get 20% off any one item. You would get $80 off the black edition, and after the $20 membership you still come out $60 ahead. free shipping too... offer good for a few more days.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Sample taken underwater with a Sony camera in an underwater housing. Notice thye difference in quality from the GoPro.

I got a PM asking how one can get the Sony Camera battery to last so long.

Sony offers several size batteries for the camcorders, and their also a setting where you can have the camera recording with the screen turn off.

We plan to take several of these Sony cameras and place them by some of the waterholes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom - Enough of all this meaningless stuff, tell us where you are going hunting????

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
One things I can advise is don't put it on your gun. My son tried mounting his go-pro on his beretta shotgun to film himself shooting ducks. First shot, the camera went flying out of the mount. At least that's what he told me, maybe he just didn't want me to see that he'd missed the duck???

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm heading to Botswana (outside Ghanzi in mid July) for plains game and Japan with archery in October. I've purchased two of these little cameras now....here's hoping I can figure out how to run them off of one remote!

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm heading to Botswana (outside Ghanzi in mid July) for plains game and Japan with archery in October. I've purchased two of these little cameras now....here's hoping I can figure out how to run them off of one remote!

Well, good luck to ya man - look forward to hearing about it. Especially Japan - that sounds awesome!!!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah man, pretty excited about Japan. I'll let you know how it was. Hopefully have some cool GoPro footage as well.

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah man, pretty excited about Japan. I'll let you know how it was. Hopefully have some cool GoPro footage as well.

tu2

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom I think you'll like your GoPro's. I putzed around with mine at Vic Falls last year with good results. Especially after I got my DSLR wet from all the mist ha.

I wish you luck in Japan! I think we were just a few days late when we were there in november. Are you sight seeing anywhere else first? The jet lag is killer! Watch out for those bears!!

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429
peakwildlifeadventures@hotmail.com
www.peakwildlifeadventures.com

Posts: 295 | Location: Sk, Canada | Registered: 06 September 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Peter,

You might enjoy the two clips I linked above.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used the little midland 1080p camcorder on my last hunt and it was good for "other shots". It is wide angle and has a surprisingly good condenser mic. It is very simple with just an on-off switch.

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Those are good comparison clips. For most folks it's hard to beat the size and ease of use of the GoPro's. I've thought of those housings before but I can't bite the bullet on the price of them. I need another HD camera first ha.

Tom, if you get the right attachments for the GoPro you can easily attach it to your bow. My friends and I have done this a few times. Just review the footage for vibration before you give it a permanent home.

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429
peakwildlifeadventures@hotmail.com
www.peakwildlifeadventures.com

Posts: 295 | Location: Sk, Canada | Registered: 06 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Peter,

Saeed

Any chance they can be uploaded to something like Youtube so they don't have to be downloaded ?

(Am also having problems with my computer ATM
which means viewing on youtube is easier).

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505G:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Peter,

Saeed

Any chance they can be uploaded to something like Youtube so they don't have to be downloaded ?

(Am also having problems with my computer ATM
which means viewing on youtube is easier).

I am afraid not.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Just note to those who wish to use the GoPro by a waterhole for an extended period of time.

You can buy an external battery that is used to charge mobiles phones or ipads - some are available with up 15,000mA.

You can plug this into your GoPro and it will probably lasts all day.

I have connected one of our cameras to one of these - 5,000mA and I will see how long it takes to flatten the battery.

The camera started with a flat battery so we can calculate the time we will get from any specific external battery.

One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Saeed

Have a look a this software http://www.videoconvertermatte...m/gopro-video-editor

Been using it since day one

Somebody posted if one can upload to youtube so there's your answer

Quite slick

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I use Premier Pro CS6 for editing and it works great.