THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    How to treat snakebites - Global Rescue

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to treat snakebites - Global Rescue
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Global_Rescue
posted
Snakes are an integral part to many ecosystems and, as an outdoor enthusiast, it is only a matter of time before you encounter one in the backcountry. Venomous snakes are most prevalent in temperate and tropical climates, with April-October being peak snakebite season. There are roughly 15-20 deaths per year in North America related to venomous snakes. The risk of dying from a venomous bite increases when multiple bites are involved and when the bite occurs in the very young, old, or in persons with underlying respiratory or cardiovascular problems. In the US, venomous snakes account for only about 20% of all snakebites and out of that 20%, many do not result in envenomation. Some studies suggest that up to 20% of rattlesnake bites are deemed ‘dry’ bites, with no venom being injected. Dry biting is a sign of maturity in the snake; more experienced snakes will use a dry bite as they try to gauge the level of a perceived threat and since snakes do not have an infinite amount of venom they will try to use it sparingly.

The majority of poisonous snakes in the US are pit vipers. Rattlesnakes, copperheads, and cottonmouth (water moccasins) snakes are in this family, known as Crotalidae. Typically, pit viper victims tend to be young males, 11-19 years old, who are bitten on the hand while trying to pick up the snake. Alcohol has been shown to be a common factor in these incidents.

The best guideline for snakes is complete avoidance. The old adage that ‘it’s more afraid of you than you are of it’ is generally true, and most snakes only bite when they feel threatened. If snakes are encountered, give them a wide berth and continue on your trek.

As there are many types of snakes, venomous vs. nonvenomous, and different types of venom, hemotoxic vs. neurotoxic, opinions on treatment methodologies can be as numerous as the different snakes themselves. However, many experts tend to agree that certain folklore treatments should be avoided. These include pouring alcohol over the bite, making an incision over the bite site, cauterization, amputation, use of electric shocks, and packing the extremity in ice. Many of these so-called treatments are urban legends. The use of suction (attempting to ‘suck’ the venom out of the bite) is controversial but all experts agree that if attempting this technique you should not use your mouth to apply suction.

Field management for snakebites should focus on limiting the systemic spread of the venom and rapid evacuation of the victim to a hospital equipped to handle envenomations. During the evacuation, you should do the following:

1. Keep the patient calm and inactive. Remove jewelry and constrictive clothing.

2. Clean around the bite site and keep the wound free from dirt and debris by covering with a sterile dressing.

3. Immobilize the limb in a neutral position.

4. Avoid the use of compression bandages unless bite is from a neurotoxic snake (coral snake, cobra, krait, or other).

For those with advanced medical training, continue to monitor vital signs, ensure airway is patent, be prepared to treat victim for anaphylaxis, nausea/vomiting, and pain. The patient should be continuously monitored for the first 4-6 hours. If after 6 hours the victim does not display any adverse signs or symptoms, it is generally safe to suspect a bite without envenomation. Support hydration orally if possible, start an IV in an unaffected limb if available. Defer food ingestion during prompt evacuations; if a prolonged evacuation is presented, nourishment will become important to support strength and health. Avoid alcohol intake. Evaluate victim’s tetanus status and consider giving tetanus toxoid. Antivenin is the only proven therapy for snakebite but only when it is specific for the snake involved. DO NOT try to kill or capture the snake for identification purposes. Dead snakes, even several hours later, can reflexively bite injecting venom causing either a second bite or biting another member of the group. Embrace technology and snap a photo with your smartphone…using the zoom!

Wherever your travel takes you, Global Rescue encourages you to do a thorough area study of your destination and research the native flora and fauna that might be harmful.

Read here about a medical evacuation we conducted for a member bitten by an African cobra in Namibia.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting!

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn! Even just the picture gives me the heebee-geebees............ shocker

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting.

Posts: 1824 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So pretty, so creepy, and serious dangerous when not treated with a healthy dose of respect (or #9 shot...)

Thanks for the info!

Should we have a bite kit in our bags?

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
basically all a bite kit contains is a suction device( and a few minor items of no real significance). a $2 bulb syringe will work just as well. just saying'.....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13449 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
The best solution to avoid snake bites is to live in a country with no snakes, I'm afraid most of you were all born in the wrong country Big Grin

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post

A pretty snake. So what is it? Not a cobra. A European Viper perhaps?

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Vipera berus, the common European adder or European viper

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Good info to remember. Thanks for posting and for offering the service you do. I have been a member for several years.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a most excellent post

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Good information, thank you for sharing.

Posts: 3917 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From the manual:

Black Mamba bite evacuation procedures

1. Zip the body bag closed.

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post

A small snake from this past June in South Texas. Size 13 Nikes

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
basically all a bite kit contains is a suction device( and a few minor items of no real significance). a $2 bulb syringe will work just as well. just saying'.....

And either is just about worthless for an envenomated snake bite.

just sayin'.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
quote:

just sayin'.

Tru Dat!

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
quote:

just sayin'.

absolutely. that's why i have never bothered to buy or take one. waste of money and luggage space.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13449 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Compression bandage.

I am surprised they say to wash/clean the bite site. In Aus they have kits at hospitals to determine snake type from venom and prefer you not to wash the site.

In Tanzania we have had snakes crawl through out legs and past us in the long grass. One went through mine and past the fellow behind me, i then hear whack, whack of his panga on the grass. I turned and asked what he was doing - "trying to kill it"! I told him to leave it alone, more people are bitten trying to kill or handle snakes!

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1976 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We just removed a nice sized Western Diamondback rattlesnake from the sidewalk of my facility's front door yesterday. Wasn't bothering anybody, just trying to warm up - it was 40 degrees yesterday morning. How I love cold weather in Idaho!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recent heavy and sustained rains here in the Prescott area have them out and about looking for dry, high ground. Roadways have been littered with them for some time now.

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That info might be ok for snakes that have hyperdermic type fangs-I don't know and can not comment- but for here in Aust most is wrong. Might also be the type of venom -not sure what type of venom the snakes in Aust have- Yes keep the victim calm and imoblise the bitten limb. Do not wash the bite site. Use a pressure bandage.

The snakes in Australia have groved fangs so the venom runs down the grove at the back of the fang.Most venom travels in the lymphatic system not blood vessels. It certain is bad news if the snake invenomates a vien or artery.

We have the more deadly of the snakes but thankfully most have very short fangs unlike those in the US that have longer fangs. You blokes are welcome to those.

Posts: 492 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 26 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is what I woke up to a few days ago outside my tent. She wasn't in a good mood either.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of a joke, 2 cowboys riding out west, one tells his buddy can we stop as I need to relieve myself. They stop and he goes behind a bush and while in the process of relieving himself a rattlesnake bites him in his privates, he yells for help and tells his buddy what happens. Knowing he need to stay calm he asks his buddy to ride back to town and get a doctor. Being good buddies he does exactly that. He finds a doctor who was preparing for surgery and couldn't leave tells the fellow to take a knife and cut a X over the bite marks and suck the venon out.
The buddy rides back to his buddy who is grimacing in pain and the buddy asks did you get a doctor and he tells him yes, and what did he say, his buddy looks at him and says, Doc said your gonna die.

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Similar joke:

New client who has never been to Africa asks his PH if he has a snakebite kit. PH assures him he does and that satisfies the client until they see a mamba crossing the road and later a puff adder on the trail.

The client then questions the PH further about his snake bite kit:
Client: So you say you have a snake bite kit?
PH: Yah, all taken care of.
Client: Do you have everything you might need? There seem to be so many different kinds of snakes here.
PH: Yah. We have everything we need.
Client: If you don't mind me asking, what is in your snake bite kit, do you have anti-venin, ice packs, etc.?
PH: Nah. We have a pen so you can sign all your travelers' checks and a nice card for you to send to your wife.

The travelers check line dates me, but I still think it's funny.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Opus:

Very pretty horned adder.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Philip A.:
From the manual:

Black Mamba bite evacuation procedures

1. Zip the body bag closed.

I almost stepped on a Black Mamba in Zimbabwe while shooting Doves. The PH and I were walking through knee deep grass jumping the doves out of mopane trees. The two trackers were picking up the doves as I shot them.

As the PH and I stepped over a fallen mopane tree, the next step would have had us stepping on a Black Mamba curled up in the grass. Instantly, I thought about shooting it, but didn't see the head (and was afraid of shooting him to far back, allowing the Mamba to bite us), so we jumped backwards. I fell over that fallen mopane tree and crawled as fast as I could to get away.

The trackers were 20-30 feet away, and didn't see the snake. When I looked at them, they were laughing to see me crawling. We eased back to where we had seen the snake, but he had gone down a hole in the ground. Needless to say, that ended our dove hunting in the area for that day.

The PH asked the trackers how the would react if bitten by a Mamba. The said that the would immediately cut off the bitten limb with a knife to keep the venom from spreading through the body.

A few days later, as I was waiting for my ride out of camp at the close of my Safari, we were in the dining hall when we heard a snake coming through camp. When we saw it was a Black Mamba, the PH grabbed his .375 H&H rifle and shot at it. He missed, and the snake went into overdrive. It was headed for the Limpopo River (which was mostly dry). I loaded my shotgun and went to the river, and saw no sign of the snake getting out on the sand. We figured he was in one of the big trees in camp. I was glad to hear the truck coming to take me out of there!

Posts: 69 | Location: Fouke, Ark. | Registered: 06 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
A couple photos from our most recent trip to Namibia. This one doesn't even need to bite you to kill you and there is no anti venom!

Not often you catch a puff adder in a compromising position....basically helpless.

Our PH and his family swore by pouring unleaded gas on a snake bite and there were loads of tales of people that it had saved. If medical attention was too far away.....not sure what you would lose trying it.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And to top it off, zebra cobra are very, very aggressive. Never leave your tent open, door open or car open in Namibia - you might find yourself face to face with a zebra cobra.

No Bueno.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
And to top it off, zebra cobra are very, very aggressive. Never leave your tent open, door open or car open in Namibia - you might find yourself face to face with a zebra cobra.

No Bueno.

Bad manners not to knock before entering Frowner

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mambas,cobras, adders, etc. aren't great on maners.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sheephunterab:
A couple photos from our most recent trip to Namibia. This one doesn't even need to bite you to kill you and there is no anti venom!

Not often you catch a puff adder in a compromising position....basically helpless.

Our PH and his family swore by pouring unleaded gas on a snake bite and there were loads of tales of people that it had saved. If medical attention was too far away.....not sure what you would lose trying it.

You can use Tiger Snake anti venin for a cobra bite. Not perfect but will do the job along with much life support treatment from a hospital. Keep a bloke in the US alive when bitten a few times by a King Cobra. anti venin was 5 years out of date, still worked.

Me I just like to give all snakes a wide berth.

Posts: 492 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 26 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rule 303:
That info might be ok for snakes that have hyperdermic type fangs-I don't know and can not comment- but for here in Aust most is wrong...

..The snakes in Australia have groved fangs so the venom runs down the grove at the back of the fang.

I dont know where you got your information from, but

My understanding of Australian venomous front fanged sea and land snake species, is different,
In that they are in fact hollow/have an enclose venom canal, with the anterior groove feature being non-functional in the delivery of venom.

The only fangs with a functional anterior groove (ectoglyphous) for envenomation -are those in the very small number of species being back-fanged snakes (opisthoglyphous).
All others have an enclosed venom canal and are effectively hollow (endoglyphous), in addition to being front mounted and rigid/non-folding.
Vipers and asps have folding front-fangs.(solenoglyphous)
The proteroglyphs[ie; snakes with rigid-permanently erected hollow needle type fangs at the front] are in the family Elapidae;
included are all deadly species in Australia, Asian and African Cobras, kraits and sea snakes....There are in the vicinity of 130 species of elapid in Australia.

The Black Mamba is also a proteroglyph from the elapidae family.
The African Boomslang[pic.below] and Twig snake are venomous back fanged snakes(opisthoglyphs), they have rearward enlarged teeth, which direct venom via a groove.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote