Find
Notify
Tools

Importance of the 4457 form
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I, too, have individual 4457's on each rifle and have found them to be a "pass Go, collect $200" or "Get out of Jail Free" card on occasions. Many times Customs Agents in Atlanta have waived me through on the return trip home. Other times I have had my serial numbers checked, but treated with courtesy and respect, which I believes comes from having proper documentation when you come through Customs and smiling like a damn Cheshire cat!

An interesting thing which has no bearing on legality, happened to me a few years back in Atlanta. I have two .416 Remington Magnums and somehow grabbed the wrong 4457 for the gun I was carrying. When I came through customs, smiling and being generally as polite as one can after almost 20 hours on an overcrowded airplane, the lady announced that my serial numbers didn't match my form. Looking at her, my confidence wilted and I began to stammer. She smiled at me and said, "Don't worry, sir, let me make you a correct one." She filled out a new 4457 with the serial number of the gun in front of her, signed and stamped it and said "have a nice trip home." I would have kissed her if it wouldn't have caused the dreaded Customs Shoe Sprayer to spray his antimicrobial brew in my face to calm me down. When I got back home I shredded the "old" 4457 and still carry the one she did for me in 2002.

By the way Kyler, when are you showing us pictures of your elephant bull? Can't wait to see them!

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe a little clarification -- Customs portrays the 4457 as a convenience, and most of the time it is just that--the simplest way to avoid paying duty on your camera, diamond necklace, laptop, etc.

However STATE DEPT. regulations on temporary arms exports allow such exports PROVIDED THAT a declaration is made to Customs. The 4457 is not mentioned specifically in those regs because it is not published by State. However, it is the most appropriate form and is normally used for this. I think much of the confusion is because of the 2 different agencies involved. (Bureaucracy is exponential so 2 agencies = 4 times as difficult.)

There are several related issues we are currently working to sort out, more later.

John Frazer
NRA Federal Affairs

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
John,

A while back, I had a conversation with a Customs official in Washington, D.C. regarding this issue. Even though it is the State Department rules that require a "declaration" that "declaration" is to be made to a US Customs officer.

There is NO document, form, etc. which can be used to evidence the "declaration" as required by the provisions of ITAR.

It's the classic government mess of requiring that one "make a declaration" to a US Customs officer, but no way to prove that one did so.

I emailed the State Department, Office of Defense Trade Controls several months ago asking whether a Form 4457 constitutes evidence of a "declaration" as required by ITAR. Of course, the government never answered my email.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote