Picture of Rusty
posted
They go bad in a hurry!
Yikes!

I thought a 98 action wasn't supposed to jam? Big Grin

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
Dang!!! --- I would like to hear the rest of the story.

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Some discussion of the same clip.

Mike

Posts: 21692 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All actions jam!

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Barry Groulx:
All actions jam!

The above is absolutely true! However that was not a "JAM" but a high pressure load that made the action almost impossible to open, shown clearly in the film!
With a High pressure round, it makes no difference what type of action it is in, it locks the action closed. Sometimes it takes a hammer to get the bolt handle to be lifted and it happens often with high power loads in very hot climates.
It is clear to me this was an ammo problem, nothing more! However it is good the that the shot put the lion off the PH! Eeker
................................................................... coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, not a jam but a severe high pressure problem. Possibly from bad hand loading. That ph was very lucky to survive as the lion could very easily have bitten him in the neck instead of the shoulder. Biting hard like it did and shaking would surely have been quickly fatal. Was this a captive bred animal?

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm just curious what should the PH do with the rifle that let him down in a time of great need.Check it with all factory ammo and verify that it was an out of spec ammunition problem that caused the malfunction?Have a trusted gunsmith check everything over carefully and only trust it if he declares it sound?Replace the current rifle and do exhaustive testing of the new one with different cartridges,especially verifying that it functions at the highest ambient temperatures that could be encountered?

I am paraphrasing but I believe it was Ross Seyfried who said 'A dangerous game rifle HAS to go bang every time the trigger is pulled.Anything less is unacceptable!'

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brair:
I'm just curious what should the PH do with the rifle that let him down in a time of great need.Check it with all factory ammo and verify that it was an out of spec ammunition problem that caused the malfunction?Have a trusted gunsmith check everything over carefully and only trust it if he declares it sound?Replace the current rifle and do exhaustive testing of the new one with different cartridges,especially verifying that it functions at the highest ambient temperatures that could be encountered?

I am paraphrasing but I believe it was Ross Seyfried who said 'A dangerous game rifle HAS to go bang every time the trigger is pulled.Anything less is unacceptable!'

The first thing he needs to do is have a qualified gun smith check the rifle out to make sure the hot load didn't do any damage to the rifle. Secondly, as you suggest, he should try a few brands of factory ammo in the rifle and check the fired brass to make sure the chamber was not bulged.

The rifle is a Ruger express rifle and if no damage was done it should be fine. These rifles are well made and strong, but like any other rifle it has its limits. If the load was a hand load that caused this "LOCK-UP" he needs to check his loading very carefully in future. I may be wrong, but that round may have been a prior client's left over hand-load, if so he needs to pull the bullets from the rest of the ammo if he has any and re-weigh the powder charge, and try to identify the powder, but that powder should be placed outside a burned, then use the bullets, and brass to load some good ammo with the correct powder charge and powder type!

This could possibly have let the lion kill the other PH, and destroyed the rifle and injured it's owner at the same time!

..................................................................... Eeker Eeker Eeker sofa old

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
The rifle is a Ruger express rifle

I think it was actually a Ruger Alaskan model. Twenty inch stainless barrel, rubber Hogue stock. No longer made, was chambered in .375R and .416R. Great rifle!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I made a list of rifles/ammo to hunt DG with, Ruger and Hornady would be a right below a poachers gaspipe muzzleloader loaded with rocks.

There...now it's stirred! stir

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:
If I made a list of rifles/ammo to hunt DG with, Ruger and Hornady would be a right below a poachers gaspipe muzzleloader loaded with rocks.

I think you may have spent to much time in the sun. Just close your eyes, take a deep breath and step away from the keyboard. Roll Eyes

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCS271:
quote:
The rifle is a Ruger express rifle

I think it was actually a Ruger Alaskan model. Twenty inch stainless barrel, rubber Hogue stock. No longer made, was chambered in .375R and .416R. Great rifle!

Correction! Thanks

....................................................................... old

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:

You do have a sense of humor that is a fact!

............................................................. jumping tu2

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once had a custom rifle maker tell me that he sometimes encountered sticky bolt lifts with Hornady ammo. He thinks they load their ammo a bit hot.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:

And A remington 700

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
quote:

And A remington 700

One of the best DG rifles I own is a Remington KS Safari 416 Rem Mag...I believe the 700 is far superior to most Mauser's and it's clones. How did that "massive claw extractor" do pulling out that round on the video clip? Ruger should stick to wheel guns...and don't get me started on Kimber/Winchester. Big Grin

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote