New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lion Hunting SA Style?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the RSA is fine hunting, particularly as a stepping stone for other African hunting. Cost-wise it is hard to beat, when it compares favorably to a guided elk hunt for a hunter from the U.S. The other plus is that the RSA has a lot to offer for the time you or your partner are not hunting. A lot of history and tourism to be seen and soaked in. I think that may be what a lot of people miss. I know I did. I finished hunting and sightseeing a little, got back to JHB and bought two books on Zulu and Boar War history while waiting for my flight, and found that while I was around Riaan's area I was smack-dab in the middle of a lot of it. Wished I had taken some side trips. You've got a great country there.

Posts: 13857 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hope you enjoy the 'whole lot more' next time Kensco. That why we call it the 'the world in one country' Hope you are back soon!
cheers
Cheers

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The part that bothers me is that I thought everything was so reasonably priced in the RSA in 2002. This November I tried to schedule a trip to Capetown with my wife. The prices blew me away. I went to Phuket, Thailand instead.

I'll be coming through JHB in July, overnight, then on to Zimbabwe. Get the prices down for me if you can.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
I went to Phuket, Thailand instead.

You took your wife along??? jumping Eeker

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I much prefer Latin cuisine to Thai, thus the wife was invited most certainly.

I did notice the highest concentration of 60-year-old men and 20-year-old-girls on the face of the planet. So many in fact that it bothered me. The best was an old guy with a walker and a not-half-bad-looking "nurse". I think Thailand is where old Expats go to die.

By the way, the Thais may be the kindest people in the world.