Notify
Tools

Why not hunt Africa?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Brent,

I don’t quite get how you read between the lines enough to get that my post was “elitist†or “pompusâ€.

You don’t have to agree with my opinion but you obviously have no clue where I’m coming from. I literally had to beg, borrow and steal my way to hunt in Africa. My income is probably a small fraction of many of the people that get to regularly go on nice hunts anywhere, much less Africa.

Dreaming about Africa since I was a kid it was all I expected and much more. I only hope I can save enough pennies to go again some day.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
I was about to say the same thing. What is elitist, or pompus about WHERE you spend the money. in fact, a plains game hunt or short buff hunt is cheaper than a Brown Bear or good elk hunt.

Africa is champagne on a beer budget compared to a lot of NA Big Game hunting.

Mark Jackson

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kyler, I read your post as suggesting that folks not interested in hunting Africa were not really serious hunters. You clearly suggested that they may be too intimidated, and thus perhaps you are so much braver.

I certainly think that is talking down your nose at nonAfrica fans. That is elitism. If you did not intend to send that message, then you have my sincere apology.

Mark, those that prefer to hunt Africa and prefer to hunt Africa - have at it. They are not lesser people for it. They are also not greater people for it. They are different. It's not where one chooses to hunt that makes one elitist. It's where one looks down upon another for where that other person chooses to hunt.

Anyone like Kyler's acquaintance who has two NA sheep slams would look at Africa as a beer budget hunt.

Brent

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Brent,

You stated you hunted Africa and said you didn’t enjoy it much. Maybe then you’re just cruising an African big game hunting forum to take pot shots from your desk. Just that shootaway agreed with you is making me think I’m feeding a troll.

At any rate, I stand by my original question and examples, if you can twist it into elitism and pompousness then I propose you have a skewed view of the world or just like stiring things up.

There is plenty of danger in lots of N. American hunting, I never even implied anything to the contrary. You keep fabri-magining things into my original post. Please reread the context of my use of the word “intimidatingâ€, you missed the point.

I will always live, hunt and work in N. America but most of my dreaming about hunting is African. If you don’t share that affliction more power to you, I hope I can find a 12 Step Program before my son starts college.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kyler Hamann:
You stated you hunted Africa and said you didn’t enjoy it much.

I said nothing of the kind. I said exactly, "Having been to Africa, finding it interesting but hardly the end-all of hunting in my book," Which is considerably different. In fact, I had a very good time indeed. That doesn't mean I like it as much as much of North American hunting.

quote:
To a serious hunter it seems like a call to Africa should be in the blood.

I read this to mean you think anyone that does not want to hunt Africa does deserve be considered a serious hunter.

quote:
Fear of dangerous game, diseases, snakes, natives, etc.?

I read this to suggest that you think he is a coward.

quote:
Another guy I know has taken the full SCI list of North American big game, including 2 slams of sheep but won’t hunt Africa. I’ve politely questioned him on this several times and he doesn’t have a good answer. Since he’s such a serious “collector†I wonder if Africa (with its Big 5 and many dozens of antelope species, etc.) is too intimidating.

I read this to suggest you think he may be intimidated. How do you read it?

quote:
Your thoughts?

I read this to suggest you wanted to know what I think - and I told you... Next time, don't ask.

Now as for whether I'm a troll or not - only you can decide. It's easy enough for you find each and every one of the 1671 posts I've made on AR if you want to dig out the data. As for shootaway - If he agress with me, that's his business. Personally, I judge people's opinions on their own merits and don't much care who does or does not agree with them. But then, I'm not much of a pack animal.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I might hunt Africa within the next couple of yrs,that is if I find a good price.I really just want to shoot a buffalo with a big bore rifle,and enjoy some steaks afterward.I would also like to bring back a head to mount.I would love to see the animals I saw on tv as a child in real life in their natural homes.I would also like to see Africa and its people.But,for know i keep on spending my money on other things.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I agree DON'T HUNT AFRICA!

Seriously, the more Americans you recruit to hunt there, the more the price goes up, the less you will hunt there.

Sometimes a good thing is best kept a secret. Wink

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Good point NitroX,
It's whitetail stand hunting for me from here on out. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Kyler

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:

Seriously, the more Americans you recruit to hunt there, the more the price goes up, the less you will hunt there.

why Nitro x,are you only scared of americans?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:

why Nitro x,are you only scared of americans?

Go away little troll-boy. troll

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brent:
quote:
Originally posted by Kyler Hamann:
You stated you hunted Africa and said you didn’t enjoy it much.

I said nothing of the kind. I said exactly, "Having been to Africa, finding it interesting but hardly the end-all of hunting in my book," Which is considerably different. In fact, I had a very good time indeed. That doesn't mean I like it as much as much of North American hunting.

quote:
To a serious hunter it seems like a call to Africa should be in the blood.

I read this to mean you think anyone that does not want to hunt Africa does deserve be considered a serious hunter.

quote:
Fear of dangerous game, diseases, snakes, natives, etc.?

I read this to suggest that you think he is a coward.

quote:
Another guy I know has taken the full SCI list of North American big game, including 2 slams of sheep but won’t hunt Africa. I’ve politely questioned him on this several times and he doesn’t have a good answer. Since he’s such a serious “collector†I wonder if Africa (with its Big 5 and many dozens of antelope species, etc.) is too intimidating.

I read this to suggest you think he may be intimidated. How do you read it?

quote:
Your thoughts?

I read this to suggest you wanted to know what I think - and I told you... Next time, don't ask.

Now as for whether I'm a troll or not - only you can decide. It's easy enough for you find each and every one of the 1671 posts I've made on AR if you want to dig out the data. As for shootaway - If he agress with me, that's his business. Personally, I judge people's opinions on their own merits and don't much care who does or does not agree with them. But then, I'm not much of a pack animal.

Brent

hijack troll

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
Don't leave out the "foreign language" issue. I imagine some people fear being "left out", thinking "everyone will be speaking a foreign language".
Other people just aren't interested. My dad, for instance, left the country (USA) once in his 76 years - 2 hours in Nogales, Mexico, only because my uncle drove. He just wasn't interested.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote