Find
Notify
Tools

Why not hunt Africa?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted
We all probably know at least a few hunters that have the funds, health and time to hunt Africa but don’t. I’ve never quite understood that. To a serious hunter it seems like a call to Africa should be in the blood.

Is it the travel? Fear of dangerous game, diseases, snakes, natives, etc.?

One gentleman I know is a great hunter and has plenty of money to burn on hunting but is happy booking five high-end whitetail deer hunts per year rather than try a safari. He says it would be “Too much of an adventureâ€.

Another guy I know has taken the full SCI list of North American big game, including 2 slams of sheep but won’t hunt Africa. I’ve politely questioned him on this several times and he doesn’t have a good answer. Since he’s such a serious “collector†I wonder if Africa (with its Big 5 and many dozens of antelope species, etc.) is too intimidating.

Your thoughts?

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I had the funds I would be there asap to fulfill a dream. I have a close friend from South Africa and we have had many conversations about the country that he left in his early 20s for America. I told him that in my mind he had already been to heaven. The guy does not even hunt. His thoughts are that if one would like to hunt dangerous that he should hunt the ones that carry guns as he did in the military.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just-a-hunter:
I think a lot of people just aren't interested. I bad want to go to Africa. I've planned a Safari in Tanzania for next September, but have no desire to shoot some of the species. I'll have to be faced with the desision when I get there, but many of the antelope species don't turn me on at all. Like the Impala. I have no desire what so ever to hunt a Impala, or wildabeast of any kind. In fact, the Buffalo is the only reason I'm going. Although, I find most species over there to be most beautiful.

Todd

Todd, I bet my front seat in hell you'll change your mind once you ge there! When I first went to Africa, the only thing I was interested in was Buffalo, but had 5 other animals on my license, and collected them all, and asked if I could add a couple others I hadn't been interested, in at all before getting in the bush!

Cape Buffalo is still my main animal, and I can't leave them alone long enough to hunt a leopard, an animal I truley want. The leopard require some real focus, on a minimum 14 day hunt in most cases, and that is certainly no guarintee you'll get old spots, and it taskes me away from tracking Buffalo all day every day!

I have a couple of friends who hunt Alaska and canada with every year, and they will hunt wet and cold for days on end for a goaty old Bou, but have zero interest in hunting Africa. It's not the money, because we spend more money in Alaska than in Africa, without near as much service, or shooting oppertunities! Who knows why they don't want to go to Africa! Confused

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think a lot of hunters just do not know enough about it. I think many people fear getting ripped off mainly due to NA hunting nightmares , and this is very SAD for them. I always dreamed of it, but no old hunters in my family or groups of friends ever went. I did not see it as being very realistic just a dream. Until my taxidermist told me to join SCI and if I was serious about going SCI would show me how to do it. . Thank God I did. I can't wait to go back in July 07 if any way possible. Africa is the greatest hunting on earth.

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Like you, I just don't get it.

There is no hunting like African hunting; there is no African hunting like African dangerous game hunting; and there is no African dangerous game hunting like tracking and stalking lion, buffalo and elephant on foot and at close range.

Nothing else on earth can even be considered a close second, IMHO.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13483 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Different strokes for different folks.

I personally don't understand why everyone isn't bonkers over backpacking for bighorn or stone sheep. bewildered

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
I have a friend that hunts Alaska I think at least every other year and loves it. He says he thinks he would enjoy Africa.

Personally I hate rain and I hate cold so when I have the chance guess where I will go?

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Irrational fear plays a big part in it.

Some folks are afraid of the trip (won't admit it).

Some are so ignorant about it they are afraid to ask.

Some are afraid of shooting a big gun (they are convinced they will need).

Some are afraid of being away from home that long.

Some are afraid of failure.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From discussions with others who can afford to go, and have the time to go, but haven't:
Disease
Crime
Lack of Medical treatment
Financially supporting some of the worst tyrants on the planent

And from one incredible shot, and exceptional hunter -- actually having to actually rely on the guide -- when some of his NA hunts have been obviously going bad due to incompetence, he's told the guide to go suck eggs, and went off on his own, and collected some excellent trophies.
In Africa, he would be dependent on his guide, if only because the guide can communicate with the locals.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Fear of the unknown. Or, to paraphrase FDR I think it was, "Fear of fear itself." I have never felt better in my life than when in the middle of the African bush with a rifle in hand (or a drink in hand and a rifle at my side!) Those who don't go will of course never know what they missed, and it won't be same in a few years, it never is.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
can we bring back the buffalo meat with us overseas?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
shootaway,

Can you? Yes. You can.

May you? Most definately not! Againast the rules!

Should you just ignore the rules and do it anyway? Also most definately not! You are very likely to get caught. Going back to USA you almost 100% sure will get caught. But even if the is a guarantee that you won't get caught, you should still NOT even consider doing it!

Buffalo, except a few in some areas of South Africa, are ALL carriers of foot and mouth disease. This very infective viral disease can and will very easily be spread by meat products. The consequenses of having a foot & mouth disease outbreak near Toronto is going to run to multiple billions of $'s damage. AN outbreak will really bring the beef, and many other industries, to their knees. The risk of carrying an infection is very real and very significant!

Please, in your oun national interest, don't ever consider doing something like that! The rule to not allow any meat products from Africa at all, is not just a beaurocratic rule to be ignored!

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren.

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
shootaway, simply no.

I like to try new places and have hunted the UK and NZ but nothing compares with Africa. Weather it is a tented camp in the Omay in the Zambezi Valley or a lodge in the Eastern Cape, weather it is tracking Buffalo, waiting for a Leopard or chasing Blue Duiker with dogs it is thrilling - plain and simple for this hunter.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All very good answers. Likewise I think we all know people like we're discussing.

I think whoever referred to "unreasonable fear" nailed it. Sometimes you just gotta say "What the hell" and go do something or you'll be a poorer man for not doing it.

Alternately the worst that can happen is you'll be killed. Killed? As I told my wife last trip yeah I could'a been killed but I'm gonna die one day anyhow and this would have made people remember me much more than laying in a hospital choking to death on my own fluids.
cheers

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was leaving a camp in Tanzania last year. The plane that picked me up was to have 4 hunters on board, but only one made the trip. He explained that the wives of the other hunters were so convinced that their husbands were going to get eaten or catch some weird disease, that they raised hell at the last minute and the hunters backed out. They forfeited the entire cost of the hunt to keep peace at home.

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
One, its some foreign place. bewildered

Two, its away from what they are used to.

Three, a lot of people think it is more expensive than it actually can be.

Four, a lack of a sense of adventure in the TV generation.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two friends that I have hunted in the states with for twenty plus years. They have hunted & fished in Canada & Alaska, are gun collectors & have every caliber up to 458 Lott, but have never been to Africa. They have both decided that they're not getting any younger & if they are ever going to go 2007 may be the time. I have made all the preliminary arrangements for a Buffalo hunt in Tanzania for the three of us. You didn't think I'd let them go alone to deepest darkest Africa? Wink Wink All that's left is to plop down the deposit at DSC & we're booked; however, you would not believe all the excuses I'm hearing. I think one of the biggest problems most people have is the inability to make the long term committment necessary to go to Africa. It is a lot of trouble, if that's the way you look at it. Shots, passports, customs forms, long distance travel, away from loved ones, away from business, but mostly away from familiar day to day things. We all have our comfort level & some people just can't make the transition to Africa. Hell, I'm glad everyone doesn't want to go, it's getting hard enough to find a buffalo hunt as it is!! lol cheers

Posts: 158 | Location: texas panhandle | Registered: 15 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Of the people I know, and hunt with all over North, and South America, who don't want to go to Africa,I don't think it has anything to do with fear of any kind! The two most often excuses I've hear are:

#1 the missconception of the cost! Yet they will spend $12K on a BC Elk hunt, or an Alaska Brown bear hunt! I've told them, if you want to go to Africa, it can be done for less than the cost of an outfitted elk hunt in any good area!

#2 they have the idea that African hunting is not really hunting, but sitting in a hunting car driveing around to pick the one you want of any species! They base this, as do the antis, and Media, on visiting game viewing parks in the states. Like Fossel Rim at Glen Rose, Texas where you can drive right up to all sorts of African game, and they don't run, but walk toward you looking for food! Even on the high fence exotic hunting ranches, the targets are moveing at a good clipp, if they see you coming!

One of my friends ask me why I went half way around the world to shoot a COW! He said "Hell, you can just go out on the ranch and shot a whole herd of thse damn things!" Of course he was refering to a 44" cape buffalo, not a whitefaced cow. Another when seeing my Zebra mount, said "boy, that took some skill, shooting a donky!"

I think they simply don't get it! Confused

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kyler Hamann:
We all probably know at least a few hunters that have the funds, health and time to hunt Africa but don’t. I’ve never quite understood that. To a serious hunter it seems like a call to Africa should be in the blood.

Your thoughts?

Kyler

I know what you mean. I know a guy who goes to Argentina to shoot waterfowl and doves for two weeks instead of a 10 day buff hunt for the same money!

Well Kyler, seems to me, it was about ten, maybe twelve years ago, I was sitting in your truck before sun up waiting to go out and chase some pigs. I had a shiney new SCI patch on my vest. I hadn't even gotten my first magazine yet. You asked if I had been to Africa? "No" I replied, and you said, "How about the convention?"

"No" I replied, but I wanted to do both some day. You advised me that you had been to the convention when you worked for a rifle builder and that it was worth going to at least once just to see the taxidermy. I also remember the laugh you gave me when you asked me, "Where would you like to go in Africa?"

And I replied, "Uh, I don't know. I guess Kenya."

At the time, I had no idea what I was talking about (still don't) but I don't think either of us at the time thought we'd make it there, at least not anytime soon.

But we found a way, didn't we? Like you said, for some of us, it's in our blood. I have no interest in antlers or curls, though I STILL want that friggin bear that keeps alluding me, but a guided bear hunt will have to wait until I make at LEAST ONE MORE trip to Africa.

Mark Jackson

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of G L Krause
posted Hide Post
This forum being the exception, I've found that most hunters are simply creatures of habit and once they find something that works are afraid to change. This holds true within the States as well. Just about every outfitter hunting camp I've ever been has a guy that has been coming back year after year for the last 4 to 10 years, shooting the same animal. Now don't get me wrong, I love Moose, Caribou, Bear, Elk and Deer hunting a lot. But to see the same terrain over and over again each year and then shoot the same species and pay for it. Man it doesn't make sense when there are so many other experiences out there. Even if you are dearly in love with a single species such as WT deer, there are a helluva lot of different areas to chase them.

So, I'd have to agree with some of the previous posts about fear of failure or more specifically, fear of being set up for failure. Sooner or later, if you hunt enough outfitted hunts you are going to have a bad experience and get a bad area, bad guide or both. Maybe Africa just is too much of an unknown to handle in this regard.

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that kills bigger deer than I do." Izaak Walton (modified)

one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Interesting topic,
a member of my wild boars hunting group always tell me that he does not like to hunt out of the area where he is born, raised, lived and still living, he does not like to hunt any other animal than boars, litterally he does not like to hunt out of zone, in any meaning that it has.

Moreover he is from Genova (or Genoa), and that people is known like Scottish or the people from Geneve, a little stingy, or just stingy Big Grin, and for this reason I don't know if the real reason is the first described or a problem of avarice.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1115:
I was leaving a camp in Tanzania last year. The plane that picked me up was to have 4 hunters on board, but only one made the trip. He explained that the wives of the other hunters were so convinced that their husbands were going to get eaten or catch some weird disease, that they raised hell at the last minute and the hunters backed out. They forfeited the entire cost of the hunt to keep peace at home.
People in my little circle ask me "So, what exciting trips have you gone on this year?" I say "I went on backpack hunts to the Northwest Territories and Canadian Rockies" [anybody who has done this knows what is involved]. To which they typically reply something to the effect of "Oh....when are you going back to Africa again????". Point is, to the general public (other hunters included), Africa is exotic, adventuresome, dangerous, and something they wouldn't seriously consider. No use breaking their bubble! Wink

Many other common misconceptions related to Africa too…like it is exclusively Tarzan habitat, all lions look like the ones in the zoo, elephants are endangered just like tigers, etc….

The US customs agent in Toronto asked me what I was hunting in the NWT. I proudly proclaimed "Dall's Sheep". He laughed, and asked why anybody would go all that way just to shoot "a sheep", and couldn't I have just shot one at a farm closer to home, blah blah blah. He said "Bears or lions or an elephant I could see as they are dangerous and can fight back". It's all the perception.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
I have not been to Africa yet,i read just about every thread and post in the African big game hunting and reports section.

My big worry is if my first Safari does not go well,it will put me off hunting Africa again.

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1873 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Top,

You should be much more worried about it being the best experience of your life and not being able to think about much other than going BACK. Smiler

Seriously, you're doing your homework. You'll have a great time.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
which month of the year does most african hunting take place and where in Africa can we have a real wilderness hunt(no fences).What would be the price of a wild hunt,including two buffalo,1 zebra,1 kudu,1 eland,all inclusive from the moment you leave your home to the moment you get back with all your trophies?( a ball park figure)

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
which month of the year does most african hunting take place and where in Africa can we have a real wilderness hunt(no fences).What would be the price of a wild hunt,including two buffalo,1 zebra,1 kudu,1 eland,all inclusive from the moment you leave your home to the moment you get back with all your trophies?( a ball park figure)

I like late June, July, early Aug, the weather is nice, cold at night, and mild in the day. Later the Valley get unbearably hot! thumbdown

Zambia's Luangwa Valley! All the concessions are bordering the North & South Luangwa Ntnl Parks, and there are no fences anywhere! Fly to Lusaka, ZAM (the capital), then up to Mfuwe, for the Upper Lupande, or the Lower Lupande concessions, and you'll need a charter for a couple of the others, but those two will get you anything you want!

I'm not sure you can get license for two Buffalo on anythig less than a 21 day safari, but maybe on a 14 day. On the 14 day you can get a license for the cats as well, and the Valley is lousey with Leopard!

Price? that's tricky! Zambia tends to be a little more expencive than Zim, and Zim has good buffalo herds in areas where there are no fences as well. With two buffalo on license I'd say the daily fee will likely run you around $1000, per day + t-Fees. I'd say door to door, you might get by at around $20K or a little more. beer

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some people are just scared to travel to a different country. I've lived in several different countries and I am often asked where I got my accent; when I tell them I am amazed at the number of people who say they would love to go to these countries, but they are afraid to travel outside the USA.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I, also believe some are scared...An airplane for 10 or more hours.... Poison snakes....
The Jungle... Dangerous animals...

This was said to me, by a friend hunting black bears in Pa. 5 years ago, when he found out I had hunted Africa...
He said, " Mike, some men are talkers and some are doers... You are a doer."

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
I, also believe some are scared...An airplane for 10 or more hours.... Poison snakes....
The Jungle... Dangerous animals...

Don't forget the cannibals ....

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Small people live small lives -it takes imagination to create a want and most people are lacking in that department.

And it´s easier to watch it on TV...

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
The ones that I have run into have been mostly North American sheep and deer hunters who have absolutely no desire to hunt Africa, even after seeing my extensive trophies, pics, discussed prices, available animals, etc. Why they have been died in the wool sheep and deer hunters with no desire to hunt Africa is beyond my understanding. Alaska is their focus, and try as I might, I cannot get them to change their minds and commit to going. I finally just gave up and stopped talking with them about it. I have learned that if there is no interest then pushing your excitement on someone does no good.

One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted Hide Post
I got this disease that keeps me from going on an African safari, and I really want to go. I’ve talked to my physiatrist friend about it and he can’t come up with any answers. Every time I find enough money to deposit on a hunt it disappears and a new rifle appears in my safe Wink! Can someone please help me because I can’t help myself!

Matt V.

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of G L Krause
posted Hide Post
Sure Matt. When your 70 odd years old and sitting in the proverbial rocking chair, which would you rather have, a gun cabinet full of guns or the memories of a real African safari? Besides, they won't let you take those gund to the Nursing Home anyway.

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that kills bigger deer than I do." Izaak Walton (modified)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP_PREDATOR:
My big worry is if my first Safari does not go well,it will put me off hunting Africa again.

I'll bet bad sex first time round didn't put you off trying it again!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll bet bad sex first time round didn't put you off trying it again!

Now that´s a good one!

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kyler Hamann:
...To a serious hunter it seems like a call to Africa should be in the blood.

Is it the travel? Fear of dangerous game, diseases, snakes, natives, etc.?

.... I wonder if Africa (with its Big 5 and many dozens of antelope species, etc.) is too intimidating.

Your thoughts?

Kyler

I think your pondering is pretty pompous. Having been to Africa, finding it interesting but hardly the end-all of hunting in my book, I can see why a guy might not go. I would rather hunt North America than anywhere else, yet I went to Africa because opportunity knocked. I might even go again, but it doesn't hold a candle to North America for hunting in MY OPINION.

Talk about a bunch of elitism...

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good post Brent. Nothing can beat N. America(Canada mostly) for hunting.The land of the final frontier!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just goes to how how unfair life is. There are those that have the means to go to africa but won't, and others, like me, who have been dreaming of hunting cape buffalo for over a decade but won't have the means for at least another decade or more. I just hope when I am able to fund the trip it will still be an option. There are really only two turn offs for me as far as going to africa, neither of which would stop me from going given the option.

The first is not being able to bring home the meat.

The second thing is most of the safari setups I've seen web sites for on the internet seem extremely foo-foo and it appears that the cost of a hunt could become closer to being within the grasp of more average hunters if some of those extra luxuries and being waited on hand and foot are eliminated.

Posts: 226 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been in Africa hunting plains game and was not overly impressed. I've decided to go back and hunt buffalo again this July in Zimbabwe. This trip will run me around $10 grand till I'm back home maybe a tad more. To a retiree like myself that's a chunk of change out of my savings to go hunting anywhere for anything. But I'm going to go DG hunting at least once in my remaining years just so I know what it is like. I've hunted from Alaska to Namibia to Argentina in my life time. Usually I travel alone as the men I grew old with were all deer hunters with limited funds whom worked hard all their lives raised families and bought homes. They/we just didn't have the money for such trips. Good fortune shined on me some years back making these trips possible otherwise I'd be another of the type that you guys just can't figure out.

Posts: 223 | Location: close but no cigar | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been to canada several times.Hunted bear (got ten to date), moose (successful), caribou (took two ,one P&Y),fished a bit.

It was fun and I would go back but for every hunt in Africa I would trade 6 in canada even up.So much more variety of game is what makes the difference to me.Also, the bite-back factor.Bears bite but lions and leopards and buffalo BITE.

No comparisan in my book.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote